Apr 14, 2019, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New to me ~1/4 scale Corsair. Advice accepted.

Short backstory, I just got into flying planes about 2 months ago (only electric so far). I do have two glow P-51's but have only run them, not flown them. I traded a couple of the electric planes for this Corsair, seemed like too good a trade to pass up....

It has a 91" wingspan, I can't figure out if it is a certain kit or just homemade. It does need a new canopy which I can't seem to find, only one for an 86" WS Corsair.

I brought it home yesterday, pulled the engine mount off and tinkered with everything just to get a feel for what it will need.
1: air lines for retracts (Robart retracts)
2: springs to pull retracts down in case of air leak? (They don't 'lock' down from gravity alone)
3: fuel lines
4: batteries
5: new servos (OLD airtronics ones on it)
6: nutserts for wing bolts
7: wire for spark plug is crappy looking
8: ??

It has a (based on research) Sachs 5.8 engine with electronic ignition. I did get the engine running today with minimal work, just a new throttle servo. I think it needs all new linkages as the ones on it are flimsy. Engine seemed to run OK but could definitely use some tuning I think.

It had a 22x8-14 prop, is this what I should use or would a different size or pitch be better? The prop on it has some damage so it can't be used.

So, for a new pilot, and new to gas engined/large scale planes, advice and pointers are much appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2019, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Comparing measurements of my canopy to the giant scale canopy available from tower hobbies, the length of mine is longer by over 1.5", but width and height were about the same (granted, this is measuring old lexan, and not sure how accurate their measurements are either).

I had the idea of buying two of them, with some reinforcement might could make two large enough to fit, and in the process make the canopy actually open. Thoughts?
Apr 15, 2019, 11:27 AM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
You say you have been flying only for a couple months? Excellent, always good to see new fliers. Not knowing your skill level, warbirds can be a challenge. What have you been flying?
Kurt
Apr 15, 2019, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kurt
You say you have been flying only for a couple months? Excellent, always good to see new fliers. Not knowing your skill level, warbirds can be a challenge. What have you been flying?
Kurt

Well I bought a Detrum Gavin 8c and was using it with detrum receiver (with Gyro). The gyro caused me some crashed (learning curve on setting it up, but now I know!), for that aspect it helped and hurt, but I am to the point now flying a Dynam Hellcat (50 wingspan), and Tower hobbies hellcat (39") I do fine with the gyro off. I have been hand launching the TH hellcat so I have left the gyro on for launching. I have also flown (and crashed---but it still flies) a 64mm Freewing F22. Flew a Eflight Fury 70mm once so far. I have done one flight on a 1500mm FMS P47, plan to do another tomorrow. First flight was short, seemed to have radio interference (I hadn't separated the antenna's!) but other than the slight stroke after I lost signal briefly I was so nervous and the only objective was to get it on the ground.

I have the Lemon RX receiver with auto level on the P-47 (I traded the Detrum towards this Corsair since I got a killer deal on a Spektrum DX8), I didn't really get the auto-level function because I thought I NEEDED it as I have taken off and landed my Dynam Hellcat with gyro off plenty of times, BUT on windy days the gyro does help (it makes the plane horrible for playing, but is nice when landing). Plus, I have TRIED to cause a stall and such with the small Hellcat with the gyro on and it works really well to keep it level. I figured for takeoffs and landing it couldn't hurt to have the 'magic switch' if I felt I needed it. I will likely put the same receiver on the big Corsair, I've seen plenty of videos of warbirds wanting to flip when they get too slow.

Started with an Apprentice 15s
Tower Hobbies Hellcat
Freewing Dauntless
Dynam Hellcat
Timber
Freewing F22
Eflight Fury
FMS P-47
FMS 1500mm A-10 (Have not flown yet)

I buy a lot of used planes haha. Bought the Freewing F22 new (3s version), it is pathetic how 'weak' it is. It is not really a joy to fly as it has to stay full throttle just about to keep it in the air.

**I do have a friend that has been flying for 20+ years, although I have taught myself how to fly I won't be taking the Corsair up without his or someone else's assistance. The normal place I fly is likely too cramped for it's maiden flight anyways.
Apr 16, 2019, 07:34 AM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Good that you will some experience with you. If using a gyro in a gasser, MAKE SURE you isolate the gyro from the vibs of a gasser as gyros don't like the shaking....
BTW, the Corsair has always been my fav.
Kurt
Apr 16, 2019, 01:09 PM
You're in for a hell of an experience. Big warbirds are exhilarating. That 22" prop is what I use on G62's, 62cc. A Sachs 5.8 is about 96cc. I think you need a bit bigger prop. Your buddy should be able to help you with that. The robart retracts are air up and air down.
Edwin
Apr 16, 2019, 02:46 PM
cat herder
It has a (based on research) Sachs 5.8 engine with electronic ignition. I did get the engine running today with minimal work, just a new throttle servo. I think it needs all new linkages as the ones on it are flimsy. Engine seemed to run OK but could definitely use some tuning I think.

The linkage controls the timing too, so if you replace it you need to keep the length under consideration.
Apr 16, 2019, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1
You're in for a hell of an experience. Big warbirds are exhilarating. That 22" prop is what I use on G62's, 62cc. A Sachs 5.8 is about 96cc. I think you need a bit bigger prop. Your buddy should be able to help you with that. The robart retracts are air up and air down.
Edwin
I would love to find a more scale (either 3 or 4 blade) prop but those seem hard to find and expensive.
Apr 16, 2019, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycashley
The linkage controls the timing too, so if you replace it you need to keep the length under consideration.

Yea I think it will have to be re-timed to get it making the power it should. One of the linkages was bent, plus the plastic ball sockets are pretty worn out.

The spark plug rubber cap is in bad shape, I would like to replace the wire but it looks like I would have to tear into the ignition box to do so. Started to do that but it has rivets on one side and screws on the other, was going to call CD and see if it is user-replaceable.
Apr 17, 2019, 07:29 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Just a few quick thoughts.

Cool plane, but no flaps?

It's not 1/4 scale, its not quite 1/5th scale. 123" is quarter scale like the CompARF, which is a monster of a model.

Do those wings fold?
Apr 17, 2019, 08:41 AM
The wingspan is what threw me. Dont know of a kit or plans that size. Closest I get is a Meister corsair at 100". No flaps and flat bottom airfoil.
Edwin
Apr 17, 2019, 08:52 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Weird, I've never seen a Corsair that big without flaps.
Apr 17, 2019, 01:10 PM
The Meister 100" doesnt have them on the plans. It has a history of being light weight and no need. But a corsair without flaps just ain't right. Gotta do the mod.
Edwin
Apr 17, 2019, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Yea I was surprised (and disappointed) that it didn't have flaps. But I guess that is one less thing to adjust, I highly doubt I will spend the time to add them either, the plane looks good overall, but it will never be what I would consider a beauty queen so there is no need to spend that kind of time on it.

As for scale, yes I realized it wasn't 1/4 scale, or 1/5 scale, I guess it is about 1/4.75 scale haha.

The wings do fold (manually), so I removed them tonight to make working on it easier. The outer wings look great, I think new servos and they will be good to go, maybe some new rivnuts to hold them in the down position too.

I took the landing gear off tonight as well, one side was a PITA, the original builder definitely left tolerances tight, I will do some minor sanding so they go back in easier. There is a screw or two missing and they definitely need to be cleaned up but I see no reason they won't be serviceable. I did find it odd that the latch that locks them 'up' would not catch on either of them while installed, so that will be something else I have to adjust with shims or something.

How do you put air in the tires?
Apr 17, 2019, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Yea I was surprised (and disappointed) that it didn't have flaps. But I guess that is one less thing to adjust, I highly doubt I will spend the time to add them either, the plane looks good overall, but it will never be what I would consider a beauty queen so there is no need to spend that kind of time on it.

As for scale, yes I realized it wasn't 1/4 scale, or 1/5 scale, I guess it is about 1/4.75 scale haha.

The wings do fold (manually), so I removed them tonight to make working on it easier. The outer wings look great, I think new servos and they will be good to go, maybe some new rivnuts to hold them in the down position too.

I took the landing gear off tonight as well, one side was a PITA, the original builder definitely left tolerances tight, I will do some minor sanding so they go back in easier. There is a screw or two missing and they definitely need to be cleaned up but I see no reason they won't be serviceable. I did find it odd that the latch that locks them 'up' would not catch on either of them while installed, so that will be something else I have to adjust with shims or something.

How do you put air in the tires? I see the little threaded valve but wasn't sure what to thread into it.

Quick Reply