Apr 14, 2019, 08:54 PM
Gravity sucks.
Thread OP
Discussion

Best way to wind rubber motor with a spinner?

Reliving my childhood and building a Comet Super Star 31" P40.
I replaced a lot of heavy wood with contest stuff, hogged out formers and wing ribs and removed cardboard tube after framing up fuse, and I'm making most of the plastic stuff from light balsa instead.
My question though.....when I was a kid, I never built a rubber ship with a spinner, and we all know the P40 has a large one.
So what is the best way to setup and wind a nose like this???

I did ditch the box 9" prop for a larger 11" Brodak one that I will balance, as it is quite heavy on one blade.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2019, 10:17 PM
Gravity sucks.
Thread OP
Apr 14, 2019, 11:04 PM
Like this.
Apr 14, 2019, 11:48 PM
B for Bruce
Snap on spinner? Hole through the spinner and use a special attachment of the winder? Or use a ring or Crocket hook and just remove the whole noseblock to wind then replace it?
Apr 15, 2019, 08:34 AM
Make Flying Fun
Spinner clutch, wind the motor and then attach the spinner ...
Apr 15, 2019, 09:56 AM
Gravity sucks.
Thread OP
Wind the motor how, theres no hook.
How does spinner front attach to spinner rear?
I have an abs spinner that looks good.
I was going to cut and silicone it to prop, but then I need to unhook motor, wind it, then hook back on.
Is there an easy way to do that?
Apr 15, 2019, 10:34 AM
A loop of heavy twine behind each blade and in front of spinner . Hook to your winder and stretch and wind .

Mike1484
Apr 15, 2019, 12:34 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Wind the motor how, theres no hook.
How does spinner front attach to spinner rear?
I have an abs spinner that looks good.
I was going to cut and silicone it to prop, but then I need to unhook motor, wind it, then hook back on.
Is there an easy way to do that?
Yes, it involves the use of a small stout section "O"ring on smaller motors or something like a Crocket hook on larger motors.

The motor is laced up or passed through and doubled if using the O ring idea. Then the O ring hooks onto the prop hook. To wind up you pull the prop block off and unhook it from the O ring. Then put the winder's hook through the ring and wind as normal. When done you should be able to connect the nose block shaft hook to the O ring while the winder hook is still in place and then while holding the prop block slip the winder hook out. But do this in a way that any drag from the winder's hook does not pull the O ring off the prop block hook or there will be a grown man crying....

Some folks use a wire as a middle step. But for smaller models using a thick section O ring of small size it should not distort too much and cause a problem.

Then for larger motors there's Crocket hooks. For using these you most certainly want to use a holding wire through the middle hole to hold the tension while you remove the winder hook from the front hole and replace it with the prop block hook.

Obviously in both cases you are doing your winding with no prop in place. In addition to this since you're doing all this switching around anyway it's not a bad option to put a long shaft between the winder and the Oring or Crocket hook and slide a blast tube into the fuselage for winding the motor.

One might also be tempted to use small split metal key rings. But if you do that you'll want to take great care to avoid the sharp ends of the rings digging into the rubber.
Apr 15, 2019, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484
A loop of heavy twine behind each blade and in front of spinner . Hook to your winder and stretch and wind .

Mike1484
I've seen something similar with a u shaped wire with a hook on each end that catches each blade of the prop, if memory serves. I think it might have been coat hangar wire with padding, but I'm not sure.

I think I've also seen a little wire loop on the tip of the spinner.
Apr 15, 2019, 11:19 PM
P.S. I'll bet there are a whole lot of ideas for this to be found here:
http://flyingacesclub.com/wp/about-t...s-back-issues/

Note the index to the articles, so you know which newsletter to download.
Apr 16, 2019, 04:48 PM
Gravity sucks.
Thread OP
Great, thx guys, big help!

Quick Reply