Apr 13, 2019, 02:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Please answer the following questions if you can.

I have just made an inventory of my "squadron."

I have:

3 models requiring extensive repair.
1 model in the process of being built.
2 models that require a little fettling.
2 models which are built and unflown but require finishing off.

Given all of the above, I have two questions for you.

1. Why oh why, as letter-writers to the BBC used to say, why oh why have I started building the Big Guff?

2. Am I alone in this practice?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2019, 03:20 AM
1. It's a building affliction, no known cure.
2. No, I've got the same problem. Even worse I tend to start 2 or 3 builds at the same time, on the basis that I'll finish at least 1. Doesn't always seem to work for some reason!
Apr 13, 2019, 04:18 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
David, one of the main reasons nowadays is that we're wasting modelling time, just to vaguely discuss it on the Web, i.e. all of us here would be better occupied by actually building or flying, and a lot more would get done!
Apr 13, 2019, 05:50 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
You have a mild dose (for the moment; it could develop into 'full-blown', so be aware...). I've yet to fly any successful flight, of any 'plane at all, yet have (at last count; could change at any moment...) thirteen 'planes 'on the go' or finished, and at least three others tucked away mentally for when I get a spare moment. I shan't bore all with the list; most have been mentioned here at one time or another.
As to 'wasting time on t'web', in my case it's quite the opposite. Much of what I have already built, and most of my ongoing projects, are a direct result of either participation in these erudite pages, or inspired by web searches, often fortuitous encounters with destiny. I'd be building (or have built...) far less, and in much more of an ignorant fashion, without the help of t'web, here and elsewhere. Incurable..? I sincerely hope so.
Apr 13, 2019, 04:15 PM

Topic hijack, and alert ...

Monza, your mail box appears to be full. Time to empty some of it, maybe..?
Apr 13, 2019, 09:55 PM
I always started, finished and trimmed a model before starting on the next one.
Same when I restored cars for a hobby.
Apr 13, 2019, 10:03 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Such saintly behaviour is beyond the ken of us mere mortals.....us fallen sinners usually have at least 6 under construction at any one time...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Apr 13, 2019, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkiwi
Such saintly behaviour is beyond the ken of us mere mortals.....us fallen sinners usually have at least 6 under construction at any one time...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
The DEVIL made you do it. LOL.
Apr 14, 2019, 01:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Monza, your mail box appears to be full. Time to empty some of it, maybe..?
I appear to have emptied my mailbox but I'm not much good with computers.
Apr 14, 2019, 04:11 AM
Good enough to have emptied your mailbox, which is all that counts.
Apr 14, 2019, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
I have just made an inventory of my "squadron."

I have:

3 models requiring extensive repair.
1 model in the process of being built.
2 models that require a little fettling.
2 models which are built and unflown but require finishing off.

Given all of the above, I have two questions for you.

1. Why oh why, as letter-writers to the BBC used to say, why oh why have I started building the Big Guff?

2. Am I alone in this practice?
1. Novelty, perhaps?
2. NO. Well, maybe. I think most people who've been in the hobby have more planes than you. Or maybe I'm just engaging in wishful thinking, trying to make my own problem look smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Sign of a sick mind. I'll bet your workbench has more than a square foot of clear space too.
Apr 14, 2019, 04:19 AM
What is this 'clear space' of which you speak..?
Apr 14, 2019, 05:41 AM
I'm another strictly linear builder, i.e., I design, 'kit', the build models one-at-a-time. I can't draw up a new model whilst building another one, otherwise I lose track of what I was doing (and why! -- that's one of the challenges of being a scratch-builder).

I don't do ARFs, nor have I built a commercial kit in many years, so each model I build goes through the whole draw/kit/build/finish process. Repairs I do immediately, so as to avoid the clutter.

And, yes, I have lots of clear space on my workbenches. I periodically clean them as I work. My desks at work were always the same way, as is my computer's desk top.

CD
Apr 14, 2019, 08:29 AM
Clear work benches? Periodically?
You never experience the joy, or fore head slapping realisation, of finding that long lost tool or part that you put down and was moved by some invisible minion the minute you looked away?
I build on moveable boards that can be racked on shelves, great for many builds and parts (maybe that is my problem?). I'm sure it is really a curse as keeping a bench clear has proved impossible for me- same with desks and computer desk.
Apr 14, 2019, 10:37 AM
I forgot to mention that my wife, an avid quilter, keeps her work area just as neat as I do mine. So, there's no marital discord over sloppiness. Other subjects, yes, but not sloppiness.

CD

Quick Reply