Apr 11, 2019, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Airtrails sporster

Does any one have a set of build instructions in pdf for a 1939 Air trails sportster, I have the plan and a laser cut kit of parts, but haven't built any thing of this style before
thanks Pete
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2019, 01:51 AM
I have a 1/4 scale plan in an old Aeromodeller of that nice thing, with no instructions, and I would simply scale that plan up x 4 direct onto balsa, build the fuselage first, then the tail then the wings.
Too easy peasy me thinks particularly if you have a full size plan.

46in span from memory?????? What engine are you using??????
Apr 12, 2019, 01:54 AM
I think there is a build thread here ?
Apr 12, 2019, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
I have a 1/4 scale plan in an old Aeromodeller of that nice thing, with no instructions, and I would simply scale that plan up x 4 direct onto balsa, build the fuselage first, then the tail then the wings.
Too easy peasy me thinks particularly if you have a full size plan.

46in span from memory?????? What engine are you using??????
Daughter bought me an OS 15 LA for my birthday last year, thought that would be quite suitable
Apr 12, 2019, 04:03 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie newbie
Does any one have a set of build instructions in pdf for a 1939 Air trails sportster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborflyer
I think there is a build thread here ?
Here's one; I don't think there's another...

1939 Air Trails Sportster ...
Apr 12, 2019, 04:15 AM
Thanks to RC library the March 1939 Air Trails with the Sportster article https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=2135
Apr 12, 2019, 04:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Here's one; I don't think there's another...

1939 Air Trails Sportster ...
I had previously looked at that build thread, but it peetered out when he got to the fuse build,
Apr 12, 2019, 04:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzlestik
Thanks to RC library the March 1939 Air Trails with the Sportster article https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=2135
Thanks, that is the original Shereshaw build instructions, just what I was after, I have downloaded and printed the instructions. Lot of interesting reading there as well

cheers Pete
Apr 12, 2019, 04:55 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
I had previously looked at that build thread, but it peetered out when he got to the fuse build,
Then your Build Log will be the first complete one, to help future Builders..! Let's be having you..!
Apr 12, 2019, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Thanks, that is the original Shereshaw build instructions...cheers Pete
Ben Shereshaw certainly had some nice looking model designs for the time. I'll be following along and watching from the sidelines as you have fun with this build.

Joe
Apr 12, 2019, 07:13 PM
Thread OP

The Build

I am starting with a laser cut short kit, basically all the ribs and most of the shaped pieces. Also bought a supply of 3/16"square and a few other sizes and shapes. Most planes I have built have been sheet sides and formers, so this type of construction is a first for me.
Apr 12, 2019, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
I started by steam bending the bottom longerons, the 3/16 sq was fairly hard, and pinning to the plan to get the shape right, then I cut 2 of all the uprights and braces.
Today I will start assembly of the sides.
Apr 12, 2019, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
The forum is rotating my pics, how do I correct that??
Apr 12, 2019, 08:30 PM
Down side up or up side down, no problem, I can see what your doing.

If it's not too late build one fuselage side first, then unpin and lay cling wrap onto it and build the other side over the other side, otherwise the sides will be glued together.

Good work on steaming the 3/16 x 3/16 longerons, and a good trick is to use 2--- 3/16 x 3/32 so they bend easier.

Nice model........R/C I guess?

Quick Reply