Jul 02, 2019, 03:01 AM
Hum... Captain drone does not seem to suffer from video feed lag.... What is his phone ?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 02:24 PM

dotaz

Mi na většinu funkcí vyskočí hláška
Jul 08, 2019, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulito9
My phone is a xiaomi MI 5S+, snapdragon 821 (130 000 antutu score)
The 2 first minutes FPV lag was present but ok (less than 1 s),
But then my phone began to heat, and i think the snapdragon throttled down to cool... and then the lag began to be dangerous, to reach more than 30 secs.
The drone began useless in FPV, even to take a photo...

To be useable, we need chinese to correct this EIS live processing issue, that makes the drone unuseable for most people with an average smartphone.

I am disapointed.
Man I'm so sorry. I don't believe Captain Drone when he claims that the Beast-variants are popular and good sellers, but certainly more than a few folks have fallen prey to the marketing of this drone without knowing or understanding its shortcomings.

That may be an average smartphone by today's standards but the Snapdragon 821 was found on flagship phones in 2016, including the Samsung S7. It has an Antutu 6 score of 141,000, so it's relatively fast.

And your particular phone has 6GB of RAM which is more than enough in any case.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your phone is sufficient to achieve a good and consistent experience with the Beast, without significant lag.

So, have you tried the following?

1. Restart the phone just prior to flight, such that no other apps are running, and memory is optimized.

2. Fly in Airplane mode with only WiFi turned on (Bluetooth and 4G/3G Data all disabled).

3. Experiment with EIS (on/off) in the Hfun Plus app. Ultimately, you can stabilize your videos using video editing software, while reducing the output resolution to 720p (1280×720). Dedicated software or plugins will do a much better job than the Hfun Plus app, since you can eliminate the blank bouncing bars and fisheye distortion otherwise inherent to the design of this drone.

4. Lastly...and only if necessary to achieve an Antutu 6 score of at least 130,000...consider uninstalling rarely used apps that might be running in the background, thereby slowing overall performance.

5. Before shelving the drone as a bad purchase, consider its utility as a platform for the $70 Onepaa X2000 action cam (with excellent EIS).
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jul 09, 2019 at 12:30 AM. Reason: rewording
Jul 09, 2019, 09:59 AM
Hi Wingfromheaven

Thank you for your answer, and for your advices.
I'll try again my SG, a cooler day, and with only wifi, and all apps killed.
I thing i'll also try it again with my wife's iphone 8. App could have been better coded for Ios...
I'm upset because i baugh the SG906 with its bag and 3 batteries.
And by the way, the drone flies really well (exept for my stick mode problem)

You're probably right about the onepaa plateform, but using it means the loss of usefull fonctions included in standard SG906 app.
Lets hope Chinese people will read those posts, and achieve a new version ofthe app, removing fake eis, and that will be useable with an average phone...
Jul 11, 2019, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulito9
I'll try again my SG, a cooler day, and with only wifi, and all apps killed.
I thing i'll also try it again with my wife's iphone 8.

You're probably right about the onepaa plateform, but using it means the loss of useful functions included in standard SG906 app.

Lets hope...a new version of the app, removing fake eis, and that will be useable with an average phone...
Let us know how it goes with your phone, as well as the iPhone 8. The iPhone 8 contains components that are effectively two years newer than the components in your phone.

I think Captain Drone has a Samsung S8 Plus, which is similar to the iPhone 8 specs.

Have you tried turning off EIS in the app?

Yes, buying and mounting a separate camera is an extreme solution, costing at least as much in total as the far superior $230 Fimi A3 (2-axis gimbal; lens fogging issue now resolved), much less the Hubsan Zino (4k video, 3-axis gimbal; recently on sale for $235 USD). A top-mounted camera solution could also block GPS, thereby losing significant function/value of this drone. And while you can frame your shots by adjusting the gimbal to match the view from a fixed camera, you would lose any additional flexibility of a 1-axis gimbal (photos remain viable). But assuming good GPS reception, all functions of the Hfun Plus app should remain usable. And since you're only using the Beast's native camera for FPV (no app- based video recording or EIS), any compatible phone (with 802.11ac WiFi) should suffice.

But in light of the budget-friendly alternatives (Fimi A3 & Hubsan Zino) with vastly superior video/ photo results for under $240 USD, spending any additional money on today's crop of sub-$200 brushless camera drones is akin to putting lipstick on a pig.
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jul 16, 2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: wording
Jul 14, 2019, 07:21 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Hopefully enough of us have emailed the app developer to highlight the lag and a suggestion to maybe offer a 720p option with a method of doing the stabilisation post processing.
Really though I would prefer that they offered an upgraded Camera something like an upgraded caddx Tarsier style camera with Dvr. I would happily pay the premium price to improve the video quality to that level because the rest of the quad is perfectly fine.
It would be a shame to fly the quad half heartedly knowing that the only upgrade path is to buy the sg907 or a. V2. The entry level AP section is missing a good quality camera and it needs a manufacturer willing to listen to its customers and offer upgrades or a generic/common connector type so we can mod.
Last edited by scousethief; Jul 14, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
Jul 18, 2019, 10:36 PM

SJRC F11 Pro, MJX Bugs 4W, ZLRC SG906 Beast, SJRC F11 review camera shootout

Hi fellow rc pilots & rc enthusiasts

SJRC F11 Pro, MJX Bugs 4W, ZLRC SG906 Beast, SJRC F11 review camera shootout - Which video do you think is best?
I replicate 4 short flights with these great low cost GPS FPV Quadcopter Drones that all have min 1080p HD cameras as close as possible in the same weather conditions for comparison, but I do not disclose which video was taken with which drone,…yet. Please comment and say which video you think is best,…Drone 1, 2 , 3 or 4.

And,… I will also disclose which video was taken with which drone and the one that gets the most likes, votes or general consensus on this channel in one weeks time.

Camera shootout - Which video is best? (13 min 41 sec)
Jul 19, 2019, 09:44 PM

Live-video stream of SJRC F11/F11 Pro and ZLRC SG906

The live-video stream of SJRC F11/F11 Pro and most 1080P HD camera drones seem to be 480P or 720P resolution; but, the live-video stream rate of SG906 is 2K because of no SD slot, created many concerns to the backward compatible smartphone users. Hope 4K camera drones keep the live-video stream resolution at 720P or less, not 2K. Even, Hubsan Zino and FIMI X8 are set equal or less 720P.
My friend said, it was the ambitious challenge for cost reduction of the micro-controller drone not to step down the live-video transmission resolution from 2k to 720P or less.
Last edited by 5Gdrone; Jul 19, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Jul 21, 2019, 08:55 PM
Hi fellow rc pilots & rc enthusiasts

SJRC F11 Pro, ZLRC SG906 Beast, SJRC F11, MJX Bugs 4W review - Camera shootout Reveal & Results- Here are the results of the replicated 4 short flights with these great low cost GPS FPV Quadcopter Drones that all have min 1080p HD cameras. Thank you to everyone that responded and said which video they thought was best and as you will see here, the result is very interesting.

SJRC F11 Pro, ZLRC SG906 Beast, SJRC F11, MJX Bugs 4W review Camera shootout Reveal & Results (4 min 33 sec)
Jul 22, 2019, 12:54 AM

New MJX MEW4 (2K camera) looks nice !

MJX, MJX starts selling at eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323862391932

MJX MEW4 -This is the best beginner drone you can buy (9 min 26 sec)
Last edited by 5Gdrone; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spell correction
Jul 22, 2019, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Gdrone
MJX MEW 4 starts selling at eBay:
Very nice design indeed!

But the Half Chrome review says it all quite well, including the very risky absence of proper video stabilization at this price point. He even points-out the rather minor distinction between '2k' and '1080p' video. Kudos to Half Chrome for this excellent analysis and review of the MJX MEW4 drone!!!

So at the end of the day, why would anyone spend $200+ USD on a camera drone without proper video stabilization? You'll get far superior, horizon-stabilized results from the now-refined, Hubsan Zino ($235 with coupon recently; 3-axis gimbal), as well as the Fimi A3 ($230 on sale monthly; 2-axis gimbal).

As I've mentioned before, a 1-axis gimbal could suffice in the sub-$200 camera drone market when paired with 'gyroscopic' stabilization (IMU-assist). I'm not sure of the pricing, but something as lowly as the Ambarella A12W SOC could suffice in these entry-level camera drones, while simply adding the necessary metadata from the onboard IMU to the video streams (simultaneous 1080p30 to the SD card & 720p30 to the FPV feed). It's then up to the phone or post- processing software to provide the actual stabilization and horizon/fisheye correction based on the metadata. Apart from some stabilization artifacts, this gyroscopic technique performs almost as well as a multi-axis, mechanical gimbal in good lighting. Many won't notice the difference.

For instance, take a look at the gimbal simulation in the first 30 seconds of this video, keeping in mind that you're watching footage from a completely fixed camera, mounted without vibration dampening, under a drone, using only gyroscopic stabilization through a fisheye lens. And you can turn the stabilization on or off during playback at will.

Fimi X8 SE maiden flight at sunset (9 min 26 sec)
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jul 22, 2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jul 22, 2019, 02:35 PM
Indeed, better provide 2-axis or 3-axis gimbal.
This model seems to use LiHV battery instead of traditional LiPo, which is about 10% more power. This is one of catch?
But, anyway it comes with LiHV charger, which is not cheap yet. The pricing looks like not for beginners , that's for sure.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Gdrone
The pricing looks like not for beginners , that's for sure.
Well, IMHO, nothing about the MJX MEW4 justifies the pricing for any level of consumer, in light of the Zino and A3. LiHV is not distinctive among the competition today, but the 180 degree gimbal is quite interesting. Unfortunately, without proper video stabilization, even a 180 degree gimbal is little more than a gimmick. So, until the MEW4 drops well below $200, there's really no market for it among informed consumers.
Jul 23, 2019, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Guys, can we keep this thread to the ZLRC SG906 BEAST and CSJ-X7 quadcopter?

5Gdrone: yesterday you even started a specific thread about this MEW4 quadcopter; no need to post about it in other threads.
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Jul 23, 2019 at 03:42 AM.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Guys, can we keep this thread to the ZLRC SG906 BEAST and CSJ-X7 quadcopter?
Yep... sorry.
I was trying to keep it relevant with the same old discussion of lightweight EIS solutions that should be standard affair on these budget 'camera' drones debuting in 2019, including the Beast. But for some reason I couldn't help myself in light of the continued misinformation campaigns that evidently serve to blindside unassuming consumers, all in the name of affiliate commissions. Enough said.

Believe me, I've seen nothing of the sort from you Pixelpeter, as you remain objective and fair. Obviously, not your first rodeo with these drones, or with effectively moderating the realities of commissioned sales. Keep up the great work!

Quick Reply