Frank Noll Heads Up JR Propo!!

Someone we know and trust has taken over an RC company that we also know and trust - JR!

Splash

Frank Noll is Back!

While at the Toledo mixer I saw RC guru and old friend Frank Noll. When I asked what he was up to I was blown away to find out he was back on the RC scene! Frank is excited to be heading JR Propo!

Frank Noll got his start in RC when he was just a kid. His father was into aeromodelling and started out building gliders and rubber band-power models. He also built wind tunnels for the Air Force. Frank got the RC bug by watching his dad build and fly growing up.

Frank enjoys giant scale competition aerobatics, jets, helis and more. When he’s not flying he is golfing. He was influenced by Don Lowe and Ivan Kristensen. They spurred him on to be the best RC pilot he could be.

Frank has been in the hobby over 50 years and has earned his living in the RC industry. I have known Frank since I first got going in RC and later worked in the RC industry as well. If you were at an event you could almost always bet that Frank was somewhere around too!

Frank is very excited to have a new RC industry job and I wanted to make sure everyone knew about. Frank is now working with JR Propo to rebuild its base and get move things into the future. When Frank gave me the good news I knew there would be a lot of pilots out there that would want to hear about it!

JT - So, JR is alive and well! Tell us about your new role with them.

FN - As many may know, JR Propo has had a confusing couple of years. I won’t go into the details or specifics about the history of the company, nor do I wish to. What has happened prior to myself joining the company is water under the bridge as they say. I’ve been tasked with rebuilding the line here in the US, and giving it a re-birth of sorts. This involves everything from re-branding the name, rebuilding the consumer base, marketing the product, having a presence at events as well as many others…

JT - What are your current plans to get the JR brand jump started again?

FN - First thing on the list was to re-brand the line, so everyone was on the same page and consumers understood that JR Propo is back in a form that everyone knows. The immediate focus was to make sure that the modeling community understands that JR Propo is very much alive and under a new solid business structure. The loyal consumer base is still there and is unsure about what was going on, so we need to make sure that they don’t feel forgotten. The company’s main objective is to ensure that there is support all the way around from being able to purchase the systems again, to our knowledgeable service center handling repairs. Everyone in the current company program is very knowledgeable, dedicated and extremely excited about what the future has in store for it. I can speak for myself on this one, as I haven’t felt this excited about the hobby or my involvement in it for quite some time.

JT - Are there any new products we should be aware of?

FN - There are already new systems in production and inventory. They range from sport/beginner systems all the way to “complex” aircraft compatible systems. There have been changes in software and appearance to the current inventory that will keep up with the current modeling needs. The plans are to continue this mindset through current as well as future product introductions.

JT - Will you be on the RC show circuit this year?

FN - Absolutely. I’m still a modeler at heart and enjoy being with our “family” that attends events and tradeshows. Being in the hobby for so long (more than I’d like to admit) I’ve become acquainted with many people, regardless of affiliations and consider them close. When you look at our sport in the big picture, we’re just a bunch of grown-up “kids” playing with toy airplanes.

JT - Will there be a new JR team?

FN - Yes, there will. We’re in the process of establishing the team structure and once that’s accomplished, we will be actively searching for a limited group of modelers who are willing to help us with our mission. We want individuals who have good character and are easy to approach and talk to.

JT - Any future JR plans that you can share?

FN - There are new systems under development as we speak, as well as new innovations that have not been introduced into our hobby. These new innovations are equally exciting as the new systems, IMO. There was no point i going through all the work to relaunch the line, if we only had the same prior equipment.

I’m sure this comes as great news to all the JR fans out there and it should come as great news to all of us in the hobby. Having Frank Noll the helm of a respected RC brand is great for all of us. When you see Frank on the RC trail be sure to congratulate him!

Apr 11, 2019, 09:06 AM
I have a JR 8103 tx and still love it. The sticks are way better than other transmitter out there today, IMHO.
Apr 14, 2019, 06:41 PM
Wow, that is great news.
I have been with JR since the early eighties with Circus-Circus.
Always reliable stuff.
The JR 10X was the finest transmitter ever built.
Apr 14, 2019, 11:21 PM
NMPRA 34C
So, let me wrap my head around this..........DFA is still the importer, but has hired Frank Noll to steer the ship, and they are bringing the JR PROPO brand name back ?

Is that a correct assessment ?

Thanks, Dave
Apr 15, 2019, 09:32 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Yost
So, let me wrap my head around this..........DFA is still the importer, but has hired Frank Noll to steer the ship, and they are bringing the JR PROPO brand name back ?

Is that a correct assessment ?

Thanks, Dave
Konishi Mokei is the manufacturer. They were using the DFA brand as they didn't own the JR brands/IP or a license to use it during the gap between JR ceasing operations and the actual liquidation (KM had a license to use the JR brand during the end of JR's troubles but that expired around the time JR ceased operations). They eventually managed to acquire the JR brand & IP and are slowly moving over to the better known brand.

Their US operation is now headed up by Frank and they are retiring the DFA branding in favour of JR Propo across the board.
Apr 15, 2019, 09:50 AM
What is diff between JR Americas and JR PROPO ?
Apr 15, 2019, 10:53 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rszanti
What is diff between JR Americas and JR PROPO ?

JRA was the US distributor for the old pre-bankruptcy JR Propo. They have no relationship with the current JR Propo and there is some bad blood between the two organizations which dates back to prior to the JR bankruptcy.
Apr 15, 2019, 11:06 AM
Wonder if this would fit Frank
No moth holes,I still wear it occasionally, it is reversible with blue pin stripes
Apr 15, 2019, 11:08 AM
He might still have one in his closet from before.

Andy
Apr 15, 2019, 11:29 AM
"Have that removed!"
Congratulations Frank and JR Propo!

I've had the pleasure of working with Frank during his tenure at Hobbico. We always had a good time and accomplished much when the R&D department (where I worked) could "borrow" him for an afternoon to assist with development/test flying some of our more advanced aerobatic/IMAC-type models. We would also "drag" Frank out to the field when it was time to fly these types of models for promotional/marketing videos so they could be demonstrated to their fullest extent. I also enjoyed working with Frank when we were sent to flying events (such as SEFF).

Frank has always been nothing but helpful and gracious to me.

Again, congratulations Frank and JR Propo.

Tim Lampe
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Apr 15, 2019, 01:38 PM
Aaaah brilliant news... now.. let the JR vs futaba wars Begin !!

Ps... i always sided with Jr. it was sad to see them go !
Last edited by Axefly; Apr 16, 2019 at 04:45 AM.
Apr 15, 2019, 02:34 PM
So now I've ordered some servos from JRA and it may have been a mistake ? Or do they still have the ability to provide JR stuff ?

Richard
Apr 15, 2019, 02:50 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
So now I've ordered some servos from JRA and it may have been a mistake ? Or do they still have the ability to provide JR stuff ?

Richard
They're still sitting on stock produced prior to bankruptcy, so they should be able to fill the order. Those are legit JR servos.

However they are not an authorized dealer for the current JR Propo organization, so they likely will not receive stock once it runs out. Deeforce.net has a list of authorized JR Propo/DFA dealers here:

https://www.deeforce.net/dfa-dealers
Apr 15, 2019, 05:55 PM
Thanks, I took a look. Hopefully they'll grow into a full source of all the JR components.

Richard
Apr 15, 2019, 06:38 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Thanks, I took a look. Hopefully they'll grow into a full source of all the JR components.

Richard
DFA is the manufacturer of all JR branded items now. They will by definition carry the complete line, but the line is not likely to stay the same as the old JR.

Quick Reply