This thread is privately moderated by Bunnyshooter223, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 10, 2019, 12:15 AM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

How to Convince Yourself to Buy a Harley

Name: 36EAC59F-37E1-4638-903D-15201687E514.png
Views: 27
Size: 3.55 MB
Description:
I sat on a Sportster 48, 72, and Iron 883. If you are up to doing your own maintenance, the Sportster is a go-ahead. Otherwise get a Metric.

That's it.

Still curious eh.... Pros:
Self-canceling turn signals, belt Final Drive, auto-adjust hydraulic valves, simply air-cooled, lean, low, and thin classic style, great for around town or backroad cruising, torquey V-Twin, great sound, short length, not too heavy, tachometer, gear shift indicator, cool looking oil reservior/cap action, lots of metal, many mods to choose, FI

-If you like mechanics, you may 'get' Harley's Hot Rod sound & style. They have a lot of torque low-down which is fun & is very useful on the streets
Name: ECB41691-823A-4D80-9294-8F1BEAAE0D40.jpeg
Views: 23
Size: 383.1 KB
Description: Harley 48
Cons:
Old style means many different types of Standard screws, air-cooled means they can overheat in 100F weather during stopped traffic, chain primary drive requires extra maintenance, slower than modern liquid-cooled bikes, rough suspension, price can get ridiculous (the Sportster 48 is $11,299! What the ), seat probably sucks >1hr, FI means you cannot just 'fix the carb' if the computer dies, probably a bit less precision in some areas than a Honda or BMW.

-You may like mechanics, but many wonder what Harley engineers were thinking during some system designs. You see, the Harley design is also a 'style' which hearkens back to the 50's (and in some cases all the way back to 1903, BC i think). The Sportster is outdated by modern standards
.....but that is not the point. The point is you get a classic Hot Rod bike without having to buy 50 years of garage abandonment.

I figure a Vtwin cruiser is the perfect match for around town and relaxed riding. I dont want to rev the snot out of things ...i have an i4 car for that. I DO want a Hot Rod, so a Harley seems perfect.
Name: D3D4307F-9AF1-4ACF-8601-BA027068889A.jpeg
Views: 4
Size: 147.0 KB
Description: Iron 1200
The Evolution engine on the Sportsters is said to be reliable (for an air cooled engine). Japanese likely make higher-precision liquid-cooled engines that last longer, but let's keep in mind that no matter the make of a bike--every model may not be 'bulletproof'.

For instance, i like Honda because they are known for high-precision and reliability. One of my family members (whom i look up to) rode BMW and Harley--and he surely recommended a Honda bike to me.

But the current 300cc Honda engine has had major failures in its early launch. It may have been fixed, but who knows--most people in USA do not keep 250-300cc bikes for long (i imagine many Americans do not hold on to any bike for more than 3-5 years). Another example of metric crapengineering, the CB500F is known to crap out it's fuel pump if run hard.

The greatest hurdle is not lack of funds. I actually found a few HD's that are obtainable within my limited peasant-like wage. No, the greatest hurdle for me is convincing The Fam;

The Fam? What about them?
-They likely think i am getting a cute little red 500 Honda with matching panties
-They frown at the standard CB650R i4 bike because looking fast means wheelies and instant self-inflicted nuke--to the face
-They likely think Harley's are expensive to the point that saying once is not enough.
Name: 3854D523-4D5B-4133-B9D5-6A6720A4B17D.jpeg
Views: 3
Size: 889.2 KB
Description: old Superlow 883
So i need to explain to them the practicalities of the Sportster. After all, i only get one bike. And that one bike is a very personal bond between man and machine, matching clothing or not
Last edited by Bunnyshooter223; Apr 14, 2019 at 01:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply