Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 28, 2005, 10:07 AM

Fledgling Laser Cut Parts

I have just completed outlines for all of the patterns for making the old Fledgling trainer if anyone is interested. A modeler here in Kansas City flies one and says it is the best trainer their club has ever seen. Does well in windy conditions, is built strong and light, and is easy to build and an excellent flier.

The parts I drafted by tracing the pieces left from his old aircraft so he can rebuild a new one and then checked all parts against the plans after outlining them in the computer. They are all laid out on sheet for laser cutting.

If you are unfamiliar with this model, it has a 56" span, 42" length, 545" area and is designed for .23-40 size glow engines.

PM me if you are interested in more information,

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2005, 01:00 PM
Speed Demon
It reminds me of the old Falcon.
Jan 28, 2005, 02:39 PM
Yes, it does. After a while its hard to tell any of them apart if you been around long enough to see them all!

Tom
Jan 29, 2005, 08:59 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Check your PM mmartine55.

Thanks
Jim
Jan 29, 2005, 11:35 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Kind of like Ford vs. Chevy...Sterling Fledgling vs. Goldberg Falcon 56.

I wish someone would/could do this with the old Sterling Stearman kit.

Rick
Jan 31, 2005, 08:40 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Umm, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade- but you might want to have a chat with someone who's good in CAD. The problem is that you're assuming that the original parts are accurate, and well, they're not. I built one of those airplanes a few decades ago- and I did like how it flew, but Sterling kits were not really noted for parts accuracy. I have a hunch that someone who's good with these programs can help tweak the parts for accuracy.

Sam
Jan 31, 2005, 10:25 PM
No rain, no assumption was made.

Actually I laid the parts against each other to make sure they alligned or jigged one with the next that they would cement into. Plus, first copy will be evaluated to make sure they fit, and adustments made as built. Just as example, the ply doubler for the fuse side and the balsa fuse side are made from the same outline, not from parts tracing. The only parts that needed to be traced were the two bulkheads not shown on the plan. They were then drawn and placed into the jigging holes in the fuse sides using CAD and adjusted to fit.

Tom
Jan 31, 2005, 10:38 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Oh good- are you going to be putting a kit or at least a semi kit together- i.e. plans and laser cut parts?

Sam
Feb 01, 2005, 07:57 AM
I though I would if anyone was interested,

Tom
Feb 01, 2005, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
Kind of like Ford vs. Chevy...Sterling Fledgling vs. Goldberg Falcon 56.

I wish someone would/could do this with the old Sterling Stearman kit.

Rick
I just got a set of plans for the large Sterling PT-17. It does not show the bulkheads but the modeler who loaned them to me has several kits so I may be able to trace them and get them into CAD. I too think this would be a good vintage RC model to rekit, but I just don't know if there is enough interest to spend the 100 hours on doing all of the parts. Really, if a guy had the plans and accurate bulkhead patterns, it could be built from scratch without too much trouble. Wing ribs are basically all the same, could be cut in one big stack on the scroll or band saw.

Tom
Last edited by mmartin55; Feb 01, 2005 at 08:05 AM.
Feb 01, 2005, 08:42 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Tom, what would it take to get a duplicate of that plan made? I have a very old Sterling Stearman in the box, but a few weeks ago someone on here was asking me to evaluate the plan for suitability for scratchbuilding, so when I pulled down and opened the box (for the first time in over 12 years), I found that my plans and decal sheets had been partially consumed by moths (or something).

The edges are eaten bad enough that they would fall apart if I tried to lay them out, and some areas are just missing. I'd really like to build this thing one day, but the plans are essentially useless. I understand that there was a manual of sorts included with the kit, but there is no sign of that in my kit box.

I'd be very thankful and glad to pay for any duplicating and shipping costs.

Rick
Last edited by ElectRick; Feb 01, 2005 at 08:44 AM.
Feb 01, 2005, 09:29 AM
Rick,

Let me check the kit box and see what came with it. I can make new decals for you after scanning the ones in the box. I'll see what is there regarding a manual. The plans are four pages 35x45, I'll get you a price for all of it. PM me your email so I can get back to you direct.

Tom
Feb 13, 2005, 06:13 PM
Parts are ready. Two kits on hand. First come first serve at cost $39.00 including instructions. Eleven (11) sheets of parts.

Tom
Feb 17, 2005, 02:44 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
I'm looking foward to getting this one put together. Years ago I built one, about 1983. Had a OS .35 in it. What a good flyer. I'll have to see if I can dig up some old photos.

Jim
Mar 01, 2005, 09:17 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
OK, the laser cut parts are here. To anyone who is interested in this model. I'm going to start a beta build thread for this old bird. Give me a day or two to get setup then watch for the posting. I'm going to push to make it electric. Let's have some fun.

Jim