Apr 07, 2019, 11:08 AM
Launch high, go long
Thread OP
Discussion

Check your GPS Tracker unit . . .

You might want to be sure your little GPS tracker is not impacted by a ‘week counter’ overflow situation in the GPS system. See these articles: https://arstechnica.com/information-...-side-effects/ and
https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/sites/d...n_GPS_2019.pdf

My older iBlue 860E tracker (white case) appears to be a victim of this ‘feature’. It turns on, acquires a signal as indicated by the alternate blinking lights. I drove around the neighborhood. After connecting to the PC and starting the GPS Photo Tagger application that comes with the unit. It appears to be reading a data from the unit but then shows a ‘No data in device’ error window.

Do any of you have a similar experience?

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2019, 07:31 PM
Mike

Thank You for flagging this issue. This could be a real problem with the older trackers. I just checked my tracker and it appeared to work OK, however mine is not the older model. It is slightly newer than the SKY trace or the white 860e.

Form the Davis contest we are planning on gps scoring so anyone who is flying in that contest needs to check their gps to make sure it records a valid file.

John
Apr 15, 2019, 06:40 PM
It appears this issue is affecting the T3000 GPS telemetry unit some of us are using. I received the following email from RC Electronics:

"As you are listed as T3000 user in our system I am sending and short email with important information.

Maybe you know or not that this year 6.4.2019 was the date of 2nd GPS epoch. That means GPS date rolled over for 2nd time (happens every 19.2 years). Result of this GPS algorithm problem is that date and time are provided in wrong format from GPS receiver. As we are flying also GPS competitions this will affect also us as wrong date or time... means invalid flight!

We already got first report of such event so some GPS modules used are having this problem now, some will get it maybe later but for sure in next 2-3 years.

The only answer when this will happened, I could get from producer of GPS modules, but unfortunately they are out of service for last 1 year

New GPS modules which we were getting in 2018 (delivery Summer 2018 and later) from new producer will be affected at 2034

I am searching for a FW solution if we could fix this problem on T3000 FW

The only problem which cannot be fixed is that position calculation can be wrong if GPS receiver thinks it is in different "time" This depends on calculation algorithms inside receiver which I do not have any knowledge how it is done.

Will inform you on progress for a solution."
Apr 16, 2019, 08:58 PM
Thanks Guys,

For bringing this issue up.
I'll check my T3000 the next time I'm home.
Hopefully they will be able to come up with a firmware solution.

Mike
Jun 18, 2019, 12:53 PM
I wondered why my Garmin Etrex Vista was suddenly showing the wrong year a few months ago-- now I know!
Jul 13, 2019, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the useful information. I check my eyeride gps tracker purchased on https://www.eyerideonline.com/ and I turned out. Really it have same issues. Thanx you.
Last edited by DavidSvim; Jul 14, 2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply