May 02, 2019, 10:46 AM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Thread OP
Just got a call from MTB Hulls checking on the status of the hull after shipping. First class service!

Bob,

I am a big weathering guy so don't expect to see a flat gray model when finished. The actual boat has several shades of weathered aluminum, and grays. Not to mention streaks, scrapes and oil. Take a look....
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2019, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
Quick paper model of the plan. I decided to put the jet nozzle steering pivots up through the hull notch. ( flat blue paper with 4 circles on it) This will allow for a much stronger nozzle in this scale. There are also no flex rods to deal with. Think of it like 4 kort nozzles linked together just behind the 4 jet outlets.

You can also see the 1 into 4 plan. I will adjust the length and shape when we do flow testing on the CAD model. The biggest issue will be getting that part to be removable. Impeller access is critical with jets so I am working on a transom plate that bolts all the jets on from the outside as one piece.

I will save the bow thruster and water pump plan for later.

DH
May 06, 2019, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
Bob, I have been considering that Idea of yours since the beginning.

DH
Aug 13, 2019, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
I finally found time to CNC the 1 into 4 collector. Did a quick casting and we are ready to go. I really wanted to 3d print the thing but wanted to save the $$ for the details later. The part is quite ugly but I plan to put the radio tray on top of it. Early hose tests show decent split up of the water. I'm thinking the swirling water minus a stator will force more out the left and right. Now, Its time to build a test board to see what we get.

DH
Aug 13, 2019, 09:52 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
A unique solution to the space, and number of drives.

Aug 14, 2019, 05:08 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I have been waiting for this! Looks great!, Darrin.. It could be an integral part of the hull in a production boat-what's planned for nozzles-I found out that one cannot have one going fwd and one in reverse(without independent throttles)-I had one cable come loose on the twins and I tried to reverse-with reverse being less efficient and the need for power I couldn't stop to dock or in my case being so close together, spin -just fwd.

I guess reverse would be a gang bucket?
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Aug 14, 2019, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
I will start casting the nozzles and buckets after performance testing the jets. No reverse buckets are planned at this scale but I do have a couple options for docking maneuvers and to back this boat up.

Stay tuned...

DH
Aug 14, 2019, 12:13 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
I found out that one cannot have one going fwd and one in reverse(without independent throttles)...
Wait Whaaat??

But Reverse buckets,
I use a single throttle.
Aug 14, 2019, 01:52 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I understand that in close maneuvering one fwd and one reverse is wanted-but with one failed to forward and reverse selected, my boat will not stop going forward..I had a failure of one reverse cable causing only one bucket to deploy ...I went to stop at the dock by selecting reverse and giving it power. The boat would only pickup speed fwd. I chalked it up to the kamewa reversers being less efficient in reverse than with the bucket fully open.. The more power I added the faster in fwd it would go.-

I'd be curious if you selected one fwd and one reverse and tried to stop the boat from going forward by adding power thinking both are in reverse..let me know
Aug 14, 2019, 02:38 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Ah, I see the issue. No, your experience is typical.
With one bucket up and one bucket in reverse, the boat will go forward.
I have to regulate the forward speed by partially dropping the second reverse bucket.

Aug 16, 2019, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Did a quick jet pump test in the tub and we had plenty of power. Water stream was well distributed between the 4 exits. Should be good performance and zero sound from the drive train. Now, Its time to install the drive...

DH
Aug 17, 2019, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Got the drive and diverter mounted today. I wanted 1 part to be removable to access the impeller. I decided to go with the rear section so I can nicely blend the pump into the hull. The rear will have a removable transom with all the jets attached to it. With that removed, the diverter can slide rearwards and off of the pump. It is secured with a couple brass bolts into threaded inserts. Very sturdy. I also did some work on the radio tray. Plenty of room for accessories and a very large hatch area. Almost up to the ESC shown in the 3rd photo.
Aug 17, 2019, 07:42 PM
D,

Looking good!
Aug 17, 2019, 08:00 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I see servos...Hmmm..

Quick Reply