Apr 06, 2019, 10:22 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Thread OP
Build Log

LCS-4 USS CORONADO 1:96 scale

I'm finally building another warship in 1:96. This time, a non conventional hull with several options for propulsion, control surfaces and details. I ordered the hull from Christan of MTB Hulls. I have seen his excellent work before so I can't wait for the box to arrive. If you haven't seen MTB's selection of hulls, check out the link. There is no better deal on hulls and the shipping costs are very reasonable. Christian is also very nice and answers emails within a day.

http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/257216...7632269542118/

One of the main reasons I went with the LCS-4 was the jet drive propulsion. The full size boat has 4 jet drives running off 2 gas turbines and 2 MTU diesels. My goal is to run the 4 jets off of 1 KMB jet drive. (my favorite propulsion method lately) This will require a 1 into 4 outlet that will be built in CAD and 3D printed. More on that when I start drawing it out.

Additional planned features include a hidden bow thruster, full lighting and of course, a sound system for the gas turbines!

While not the most beautiful boat in the Navy, It does have some great modeling opportunities. Large, helo deck, stealthy features and an incredibly weathered hull surface. Right up my alley. I chose the LCS-4 USS Coronado to model because my wife and I travel there quite often on anniversaries.

DH
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2019, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
While I wait for the hull to arrive, I decided to start on 1 of the 2 SH-60's for the rear deck. Plan is to have magnets in the lower fuselage and specific areas on the deck so they can be placed and removed at will. I do plan on flying my rc helo's off this thing so this will be helpful.
Apr 06, 2019, 11:01 PM
boat butcher

Mark
Apr 07, 2019, 01:30 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Oh, Helis yes.

Apr 07, 2019, 08:16 AM
Nice ship. try contact Eric at Home port models. He's doing some really nice jets
Apr 07, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Yes, Eric is doing some killer work. Iím just trying to stick with a single drive and develop my own. Plan to use some of his 3D printed detail parts though.
Apr 07, 2019, 10:33 PM
George Jure
Eric has posted some videos of his 3D printed jet drives and the results are incredible.
Apr 07, 2019, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
Yep, I have been following his builds and he came up with a great solution. I am going with what has worked for me in the past. Just found my 3520 outrunner that will power the KMB drive. Super quiet, cool running and very efficient. Reverse bucket parts pictured will not be used. Just the drive pictured above.

DH
Apr 08, 2019, 12:05 AM
George Jure
Hi
Have to ask in your post #2 above, did I read and understand you correctly. Are you planning on flying your helicopters off your deck, 1/96 helicopters? I think I am not exactly understanding you. Can you explain that as it is late here.
Apr 08, 2019, 01:35 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Maybe a Blade 70s
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-s-rtf-blh4200

Apr 08, 2019, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Not the SH60's I posted. I was talking about a DJI drone and some micro 3d helo's I own. Still waiting for the scale rc helo's to get this small.

DH
Apr 08, 2019, 08:36 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Or maybe something on a thin wire drive shaft tether- up ...hover ..and down
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Apr 10, 2019, 06:02 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Looks like an interesting project.......
May 02, 2019, 02:08 AM
Thread OP
The hull arrived today in great shape. The box had lots of custom fitted foam to correctly support the unusual shape. Finish is excellent and the thickness is spot on. Very happy with the purchase and cant wait to get rolling. Support MTB hulls! Such great prices, fast turnaround and wide variety of subjects.

Starting on the jet splitter first to get the jet drive mounted.
Thanks Christian!
DH
May 02, 2019, 07:13 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Following this build-I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas..anxious to see the propulsion system engineering, the detailing, the weathering, the helis, and did I say the weathering!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC

Quick Reply