May 03, 2019, 07:40 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Looking great Fon, I just realized you are also in Florida, I'm in Ocala, would love to see this bird fly at our field sometime
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 07:43 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
Looking great Fon, I just realized you are also in Florida, I'm in Ocala, would love to see this bird fly at our field sometime
Great idea!! First I have to pass the maiden test in a couple of weeks.
May 03, 2019, 08:36 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Just let me know
May 06, 2019, 08:47 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
We are back from Fort Myers, I worked a little on the wing and fuse, sanded even the fuse skin with the wing saddle formers, taped down the wing fillets base yo the fuse placed the wing with wheigt on the fuse and checked the incidence, to my surprise it was right on -1 degrees, tomorrow I will center the wing and drill the wing bolts holes to be tapped.
May 06, 2019, 09:15 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Excellent work , should be a great flyer !
May 07, 2019, 09:38 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Got home real late today but was able to center and bolt the wing to the fuse and also glued the wing fillets bases to the fuselage.
May 08, 2019, 09:40 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Wing fillets are done, upper back formers and stringers are in place, stab saddle done, elevator, rudder servos and pushrods in place, dry fit the fin and stab.
It took me a while to figure out that the bottom rib of the fin which is partially exposed needs to be removed in order to instal the fin to the fuselage, I went through the instructions several times and there is no reference to this step anywhere, there is one picture where you can Kind of see that te rib was removed.
There is no reference on the positions of the servo arms.
The rudder and tail wheel are operated by two separate pushrods, this pushrods are secured together by a collar with a set screw, I donít feel confident with this collar setup technique, I might try something different.
May 09, 2019, 09:27 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Fuse upper skin is on, upper front formers and stringers are on too. Make sure you loosen the collar thatís on the rudder-tail wheel pushrods before glueing the upper fuse skins you need to pull the pushrods forward in order to cut and sand flush with the skin the pushrods guide tubes.

Trick: if you wet the outside of the skin with Windex and flip it over so the wet side is against the table the skin will start to bend by itself into the curved shape you want, then you can trim it to the desired size by placing it against the formers and stringers, it will dry and stay bent. I guess is the Ammonia in the Windex that makes the balsa sheet bend so well by itself.

Iíll skin the upper front tomorrow because I know if I do it now it will end up in a disaster.
May 11, 2019, 11:29 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Well I pre-sanded the fuse skin, placed and glued the stab in place, it is centered to the fuse and parallel to the wing!!! I’m waiting for the epoxy and fiberglass shaving mix to cure to proceed with the fin placement and gluing.
In my case the balsa planks joints on the skin showed like transitions on the curved shape of the fuse so I had to sand them down to achieve the roundness desired, I didn’t need to sand too much just to take the edge off, I think this happens because of the hardness of the Tidebond ll wood glue I used to join the balsa planks. I’m very happy on this build so far.

I need to do a second pass with the wood filler on several areas specially on the wing fillets to get them just right.
May 12, 2019, 12:22 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Almost done with the building!!!
Some people think that using masking tape to hold steady the fin while the glue sets is shameful, I have used it all the time with great results.
The radiators intakes is one of those steps you have to take the time to do.
There is a PBS center pice that goes between the two radiators on the bottom of the wing that is best if you centered it and make marks of its location on the wing because that is where your two radiators have to butt against.
Be careful, the thin CA ran a little to far and I glued some parts of the radiators to the wing saddle on the fuse, had to do a little bit of fiddling to get the CA to break loose.
The cowl ends up slightly loose on the cowl mounting blocks so you have to work the cowl to leave equal distance where the air exhaust are on the sides of the fuse so that the cowl looks nicely centered and round.
I have to cut some of the motor mount structure in order to shrink it further, from the firewall to the back of the spinner plate the manual calls for 5 3/4 inches, the motor mount on its shortest setting is giving 6 inches.
Overall everything is falling in place how is supposed to do Iím really happy.
May 12, 2019, 06:51 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Great build ! Very complex in many area, certainly not for the inexperienced builder .
May 12, 2019, 08:06 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Looking really slick! Did you pick a color scheme?
May 12, 2019, 09:43 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
Looking really slick! Did you pick a color scheme?
Iím going with the box, always do. Only one time I did different than the box, when I did the second Spitfire I choose the legendary Spitfire 944 recognizance plane which I havenít maiden yet, I think I got traumatized with the previous Spitfire maiden that lost radio bind because of a modification I did to my Futaba CAP 9 that I keep here on the Florida East coast with a faulty Frsky transmitter PCB board,
The antena wire became disconnected from the PCB soon after the modification and I lost 4 planes before I realized it was the antenna that was causing the crashes.
Iíll menup and maiden both planes the same day, I will maiden the Sea Fury first to gain confidence and then maiden the second Spitfire.
May 12, 2019, 09:58 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Definitely consider coming to Ocala to maiden them . Would love to be there.also I'm an expert level pilot if you needs assistance
May 12, 2019, 12:41 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Well we are heading to celebrate motherís day with the family over st my sisterís hose.
I was able this morning to cut the motor mount to the size I need it, install the cowl, prop, spinner and the cockpit canopy.
Tomorrow I will start the battery placement, soldering of all wires, connectors, ESC charging plug etc.

Quick Reply