Apr 06, 2019, 08:29 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Build Log

Top Flite Sea Fury .61 Kit Electric Conversion build

For this project, Iím going to use the same setup Iíve been using on all my other TF .61 conversions. this Sea Fury will be equipped with a Turnigy SK3 5055 430Kv motor, Zippy 6200mAh 6s 40c Battery, Turnigy 100Amp ESC, Master Airscrew 16x10x3 blade, 2000mAh 5s NiMH 6V Rx battery, E-Flite electric retractable landing gear 60-120, E- Flite ”leo struts, Robart scale wheels, I will cover it with dove grey Monokote, insignia blue Monokote and will spray paint the cowl to match the fuselage, spinner will be white with black stripes, will Be applying factory decals, also got the TF Sea Fury cockpit kit for it.
Last edited by foncris; Apr 06, 2019 at 08:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2019, 04:47 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I am in, cant wait to see this one !! Hey Foncris I build another Seafury 66” inches ( not the Top Flight ) .
Just a heads up , you may want to determine if the lipo can sit inside the motor mount vertically on the firewall. It will save you a ton of weight with the notorious short nose of the Seafury.
I used this set up on my TF Bearcat and the Willshobby Seafury ( based on the Top Flight ) Seafury.
Thanks
Lou
Good luck , anxious to see your usual excellent work !
Apr 07, 2019, 08:18 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
I did an electric conversion of this plane years ago. Move every heavy item as far forward as possible.

There are a few other conversions here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Flite-Sea-Fury
Apr 07, 2019, 08:20 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Ldm, I just realized thanks to your comment that short nose detail I was not aware of, I will have to determine a motor mount that will allow me to bring that battery all the way to the front or maybe strap 2 batteries on each side of the motor mount inside the cowl.

I will make copies of the blueprint today, I donít like to use the original plans since I tend to cut the wings panel section because of the small size of my work area and this way I get to keep the original plans for future use, you never know!!!
Apr 07, 2019, 08:31 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
I built a battery box that also acts as the motor mount for my P-51. If I were to build a Sea Fury again this is what I would do.
This allows the battery's to move pretty far forward.
Apr 07, 2019, 09:10 AM
the noob one
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe
I built a battery box that also acts as the motor mount for my P-51. If I were to build a Sea Fury again this is what I would do.
This allows the battery's to move pretty far forward.
Thank you Ken, I will definitely go with this option, I saw the Corsair 29ís Sea Fury build thread and saw your Sea fury work there.
Apr 07, 2019, 09:47 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
HI Foncris
I know on the Graphene 6 cell 5000 packs, they are heavier and larger then most packs.
I used the Great Planes motor mount . That mount is larger enought to allow a box inside of it ( light plywood ) .
My pack in both my Bearcat and my Seafury was vertical on the firewall. The box -base is at the bottom of the cowl , no need to access the bottom. The top of the cowl has a hindged door, super easy with hindges and magnets.
Velcro strap inside the door holds the lipo super tight and the door is for ascetics.
However knowing you prefer to leave your single lipo inside the model , the cow/firewall mount is perfect so in the event there is a problem you can easily remove the cowl for maintenance.
I will try to find pics .
I know Ken is also an expert on e-conversions, I have followed many of his models especillay the Giant Scale Mustang, very cool stuff
Apr 07, 2019, 12:09 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
HI Foncris
I know on the Graphene 6 cell 5000 packs, they are heavier and larger then most packs.
I used the Great Planes motor mount . That mount is larger enought to allow a box inside of it ( light plywood ) .
My pack in both my Bearcat and my Seafury was vertical on the firewall. The box -base is at the bottom of the cowl , no need to access the bottom. The top of the cowl has a hindged door, super easy with hindges and magnets.
Velcro strap inside the door holds the lipo super tight and the door is for ascetics.
However knowing you prefer to leave your single lipo inside the model , the cow/firewall mount is perfect so in the event there is a problem you can easily remove the cowl for maintenance.
I will try to find pics .
I know Ken is also an expert on e-conversions, I have followed many of his models especillay the Giant Scale Mustang, very cool stuff
I like to use that back side of the brushless motor with the bolted prop adapter instead of the collet prop adapter, extending the firewall forward like Ken did will work just fine, Lou if you could find and post a picture of your setup with the battery vertically it would help me make that decision.
Apr 07, 2019, 03:06 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I found them my friend !
Ok some notes ,,
1) the ply box is built inside the motor mount.
2) the base as stated is permanently glued shut ( my preference ) you could also have the hatch on the bottom vs the top cowl or just lock your lipo in the way you prefer from your other TF kits.
3) You cant see the simple heavy duty Velcro strap that is on the side of the box that locks the lipo in security for inverted flight, simple one piece runs over the top of the lipo and locks on the opposite side.
4) ESC is locked in on the side for optimum cooling.
5) The ESC connection to the lipo is free inside the cowl but connected by an elastic cord that allow you to connect to the lipo and not have to fish for the connection. Again per your preference with a lipo safety plug , you could also have this all connected and only activated with the safety plug.
I also added a pic for Vortex generators ( VGs ) . There is a lot of controversy in the RC community over VGs mostly by high level engineers who know everything lol !!
The rest of us listen to fellow RC modelers and proven field experience.
So reading that many of the TF kits ( including the P40 ) have a poor washout deisgn the VGs add a great solution to a finished model.
I believe they were so effective that it actually made the Bearcat incredibly stable at super slow speeds and super easy to land.
So I aslo added them to my Top Flight Gold edition P40 , that you inspired me to convert to electric.
Apr 07, 2019, 03:42 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Very nice, it looks like a tight fit, I have to measure everything to see if a 6S 6000mAh battery will fit inside the SeaFury Cowl the same way,

Thank you for the pictures, a job well done with the bottom door and everything, nice Bird.
Apr 07, 2019, 03:46 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thanks buddy !
Zero weight needed for Cof G
Moved the small receiver battery 1” and perfect CG
Good luck
Apr 09, 2019, 08:49 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
Slow start, after inspecting all the die-cut parts, Iím ready to start gluing, I will build stab and fin at the same time to speed up things.
Apr 11, 2019, 02:12 PM
the noob one
Thread OP
One skin side done on both elevator and rudder, the way the fin and rudder are done simultaneously it saves a lot of building time, the same is with the stab and elevators, the ribs are longer than usual, the TE of the stab/fin and LE of elevator/rudder are assembled within the whole structure in one shot.
Apr 11, 2019, 02:51 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Nice , wood looks to be of good quality !
Apr 11, 2019, 06:42 PM
I just want to go fly!
I like center fire weights too. lead pellet tins as well.

Quick Reply