Apr 06, 2019, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Top mast stays and triatics

How does one deal with topmast triatics on a topsail schooner? In real life, the Captain sent a couple of hands up to manhandle the sails over them. That being against current child labor laws, Iím wondering if the common practice is to just let the topsails lay against the rigging on one tack. Possibly alternating sides when rigging the sails??
Thanks,
Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2019, 02:32 PM
Maybe use both P and S sheets and just pull the clew over any interfering rigging? Works on Syren's foresails....
Apr 06, 2019, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
Seems like in order to do that, I’d need to have another servo with leads mounted at the joining of the mast and top mast.
Apr 06, 2019, 11:48 PM
SCALE Sailor
Every schooner I was on set the fisherman from deck, and brought it down and sent it back up rather than try to haul it over the topmast stay and triatic. On a hanked stays'l, there's usually a clewline or an "uphaul" to lift the clew over the stays, and the peak of the fores'l in most cases.

On a model, you might do that with a winch servo, or an arm and some clever tackle arrangement. The Spencers on Constellation are a similar problem for me, but I'll do without them rather than add more gear to handle them.
Apr 07, 2019, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Back in the mid ‘70’s as a young and stupid lad, I worked of a gaff rigged topsail ketch named Maverick. The Captain/owner didn’t want to pay for extra line so he sent three of us up to manhandle the topsails over the obstructing rigging. Going up the narrows on the Sr Francis Drake Passage, it took about 12-15 tacks to get to a place where we could relax for a half hour. All that on “all the rice you could eat”!
Last edited by wayne from Fla; Apr 07, 2019 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply