Thread OP
Discussion

Velocio PLC

New Forum Suggestion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name:Velocio PLC Group

Category:Programmable Controls

Description:Small universal control for small budgets

Justification:Electronics for control of machines for hobby or industrial applications in a price range that allows experimentation on a small budget. Get into PLC programming with a full package of PLC, HMI, and software at an individual users level. New users need support and can help each other with exchange of the specifics of an affordable line of electronics. This relates to the hardware marketed by Velocio.net and popular for years now, but needs a place for users to exchange tips and suggestions.
Please note, I am not a part of this company, but a hobbyist that discovered this hardware and wants to see a place to go for the users to exchange ideas. My background is industrial electronics, and I am taken by this new way to achieve industrial level control without spending thousands in hardware and software to use it. Thank you for your consideration.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2019, 07:31 PM

Plc

Hi Dave,
Do you have a link to where we can get the software and how we can use it in the hobby?

Les
Apr 05, 2019, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
Yes www.Velocio.net
There are no restrictions on using the software, hobby, commercial, anything.
I am using it in a hobby sort of commercial manner, because I have an interface to a welding machine to upgrade.
It is not exactly for RC planes, but it would appeal to those who get further into control of things, such as an autonomous vehicle, or a control center for trains, but it is really designed for industrial machine control at a modest price, and none of this $4000 a year software business, or $3500 screen for data display and entry.
Someone hosting a plane race, boat race or car race could use it too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is how you signup and get notified of any activity on this blog:
You must do these things:
1. Signup - so you can post a message (They will send an email and you must use the included link provided to complete registration)
If you complete this, you should get another email from RCGroups, saying "Thanks for registering at RC Groups!..."
2. Post a message, this will setup the next step (subscribing to this thread) but you can check it on your control panel.
3. Subscribe to this thread

Then, every post that occurs on this "Thread" will generate an email to you, using the email you used when you signed up.
If you don't get the emails, double check the email you submitted, here is how:
1. Go to the top of this page and click "My RCGroups" in white lettering in the black bar.
2. You get a new page with a list of things you can edit under "Control Panel" on the left.
3. Scroll down to "Settings & Options", and click "Edit Email & Password" Check that you have the correct email address. Then click "Edit Options"
4. You get more titles, go to the "Messaging & Notification" section and look at "Default Thread Subscription Mode"
5. The small box will probably say "No Email Notification", change it to "Instant email notification"
6. Now, back to the list on the left, find "Subscribed Threads" and click "List Subscriptions"
7. The new page you get should show you signed up to "Velocio PLC Thread" If not, you probably haven't posted anything yet. So post something under the "Velocio PLC Thread" Just say "Hi".
8. There are lots of other options, one you might want is at the bottom "Distance Preferences", I checked "miles" because I am metric challenged...
9. Be sure to click "Save Changes" at the very bottom!

-Dave
Last edited by dbacon; Apr 15, 2019 at 11:17 AM.
Apr 08, 2019, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
If you are reading the vBuilder manual on the free software for the Velocio PLC, be sure you are reading the 303 page one, as there is another 285 page one that looks almost identical but it doesn't have information on DataLogs, a way to save settings for initializing on reboot.
Apr 12, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
If anybody is putting together a box for a Velocio experiment, I have printed some nice ones on a 3D printer. I can post the .stl files for two boxes, one for the 7" and one for the 4.3" HMI.
There is room for an ACE PLC inside, and a heat sink for a 5V supply, if you want to just use the 24V HMI supply for everything.

I also made a box for the side of the 7" HMI, in case you want the ACE on the outside.
Apr 14, 2019, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Using Data Log to restore variables after power cycling can be done, but it is tricky. Here is how I had success:
1. To store your variables in flow logic use a counter, "tStep" like the Velocio manual says on page 217, but whatever method you use to start the procedure must be disabled from causing it to loop over and over.
a) Is tStep=0?
.....Y=Is your start switch on?
..........Y=Set tStep to 1, then Continue
..........N=Continue
.....N=Continue
b) Is tStep=1?
.....Y=Is WriteDone?
..........Y=Set tStep to 2, Continue
..........N=WriteRecord, Continue
.....N=Continue
c) Is tStep=2?
.....Y=Is the StartSwitch Off? (This is the part that is not covered in the manual)
..........Y=Turn WriteDone On, Set tStep=0, Continue
..........N=Continue
.....N=Continue

2. To recover your variables, see page 220, and again, don't let your procedure loop.
Apr 15, 2019, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
I have successfully completed my project, which includes:
Reading an analog input of 0-10Volts.
Displaying it on the HMI as an inverted bar graph.
Setting 4 ranges of the movement the analog input measures, and 4 outputs one for each range.
Allowing calibration of the analog input to whatever measurement desired and displaying those units along with it.
Allowing saving of all the variables (manually-with a button) and automatic restoration on power up.

So now I can help others on what I have found out along the way.
Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
My original program had math problems, I think because of the limitation of certain types of registers.

So here is the deal on registers, from Wikipedia:

bit = 0 to 1
i8 = 0 to 255, 1 ASCII char in UTF-8 format (no idea what “UTF” is”)
i16 = -32k to 32k, 2 chars
ui16= 0 to 65k, 2 chars
i32 = -2g to 2g, 32 chars
ui32= 0 to 4g 32 chars (Called “Float” in the vBuilder program)
(“Chars” would be same as “8 bit words” or “Bytes”)

I THINK I did math that made numbers unsuitable for the place I put them in.

SO, I am having good results by using only:
bits
uI16
Float
And I will avoid all math that results in an answer less than zero.

I have good luck with filling out the “Tags” in vBuilder first with each variable I introduce.
If you have to change something, I THINK you must go to “Tags” first.
Apr 15, 2019, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Another helpful hint, if you experience communication errors, my problem was I didn't check the box in "Tags" that says "Remote writable".
Apr 15, 2019, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
I like to save what I have to a new directory, then when I come back, I grab the files from the new directory and continue there. So if I mess up horribly, I can go back and get the last version.
Here is how I do it (Maybe there is a better way, but this works so far...)
1. In vBuilder, stop the program, click "File", then "Save As"
2. In the pop up window, name it (I use the day YYMMDD and the next letter) "190415c"
3. Then click "Browse" in that same window, go to your directory (Mine is "Velocio")
4. Click "Make New Folder" and I give it the same name such as "190415c", click "OK"
5. In that pop up window, now click "OK" and you got a new folder with some files in it:
......".vio" ".viof" ".viof~" and "Initialize.vdl" (Which is because I have a Data Log file)
6. Now in HMI program, Click "File(F)", then "Save AS"
7. In the pop up window, open that new directory you just made (Mine is "190415c") and 2x click it.
8. Fill in a new name, I used "190415c.skm" Don't forget the ".skm", very important!
9. You will now have 5 files, all named similarly.
Apr 15, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
On my HMI screen (the 4.3" one) I have three indicators on the right margin, what do they mean?
The blinking "..." blinks even when the program is not running (???)
Apr 15, 2019, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
Since I have my HMI 4.3 and ACE 5150 in one small enclosure, I made a short RS232 cable that saves a lot of space in this crowded box. I made the wires about 8" long, works good.
Last edited by dbacon; Apr 17, 2019 at 07:14 PM.
Apr 17, 2019, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
I just found the answer to my question (post 11) the indicators are Power, Run, Communication
Last edited by dbacon; Apr 17, 2019 at 07:07 PM.
Apr 19, 2019, 08:25 AM

State Machine style programming

To write programs that are clearly defined, quick to develop, easy to debug, and can be understood when you go back to them a month later, learn to program in Flow Chart programming, using state machine style. State machine style programming means applying a few simple rules. A short chapter on state machine style programming using flow charts is found in the vBuilder manual, which can be found here : http://velocio.net/vbuilder/. Look at page 258. A short video on state machine style programming can be found here : http://velocio.net/tutorial-state-machines/.

If you progam in Flow Chart programming, following the few state machine style rules, you can efficiently write and debug programs that do anything that you can logically define. Good luck!
Apr 19, 2019, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the blog

Thanks Dave for making this helpful blog post. I had a hard time finding info with this plc.

Quick Reply