Apr 09, 2019, 04:26 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
Ben Fisher gets the credit for this one.
Thanks. KM already corrected me on Facebook! I was coming to this thread to correct myself and you beat me to it. My bad.

It's a beautiful scheme. I'm only slightly surprised it's Ben's. He did really cool schemes back in the old days too. I'de love to see that yellow SHP scheme reappear on something new.

I ordered my servos and pulled the power system from my #3 Extra (which is a backup anyway) and starting to set the pushrods up. tailwheel assembly, wheels and axles (using spares), etc, so I hope to fly and video it the day after I get it. It's nice the pushrods are all the same length and the rest of the hardware is interchangeable. When I get the plane the stab will mount in about 30 seconds so the hardest part of the build is only going to be the hinging and I've done so many that is next to nothing anyway. The rest of it is mostly just assembly , so it should go really quickly. These 52s really go together pretty effortlessly.

52 is where it's at.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2019, 06:24 AM
Just curious, but is this new Velox available yet? I'm not seeing in on the Extreme or Northwest sites. Had thought about the 52" Edge and I see that one. Most recently I thought about going with the Velox instead and then getting a 60" Edge to eventually replace my V1 Extra.
Apr 15, 2019, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC
Just curious, but is this new Velox available yet? I'm not seeing in on the Extreme or Northwest sites. Had thought about the 52" Edge and I see that one. Most recently I thought about going with the Velox instead and then getting a 60" Edge to eventually replace my V1 Extra.
The Velox is still a few weeks away.
Apr 15, 2019, 09:07 AM
Team Extreme Flight
You still have enough time to squeeze in an Edge build before the Velox gets here!
Last edited by Doc Austin; Apr 15, 2019 at 09:23 AM.
Apr 15, 2019, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
You still have enough time to squeeze in an Edge build before the Velox gets here!
Believe me Doc, I'm considering it! The only issue is space because I've currently got five planes in the hangar already.
Apr 15, 2019, 10:17 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC
Believe me Doc, I'm considering it! The only issue is space because I've currently got five planes in the hangar already.
I feel your pain.
Apr 15, 2019, 06:59 PM
Only five. That's just getting started.
Apr 16, 2019, 03:11 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Well, I'm ready. I soldered up my BEC and cut off the switch, assembled the pushrods and servo arms using spares, and ground the flat spots on the axles and put the wheels on, I'll cut my sealing material later and that pretty much takes care of all the small little jobs that are so distracting when doing the build. I like to do this because I can concentrate on the tail, hinging, and getting the cowling perfectly aligned while I am still fresh, and not have to stop to build up all the sub-assemblies. Those three things I mentioned are the only ones that you can't unbolt and start over if you get them wrong, so you need to be at your best.

Even at that, installing the self aligning horizontal stab is a near no brainer. I've built 10 or so planes using this, and I am still amazed it works so well. About all you can screw up is the hinging and cowl, but you can check here for my hinging secrets: Miscellaneous Build And Set Up Tricks

Next I'm going to get some DSA150s and heat shrink the aileron servo wire extensions on. It looks like the Velox is an inch or so shorter than the other 52s, so I might need to use different extensions. We'll know when I get it.

Each new 52 has been a better executed plane than the one that preceded it, so I'm expecting the Velox to be the sickest thing we have ever seen. I don't know if there will be any structural improvements since the last 52 (Edge), but I don't think there needs to be. The Edge has the V2-like carbon treatment so I think these planes are pretty close to being maxed out as far as cool new features. Then again, each new plane has some sort of nice surprise so we will just have to wait and see.

My prediction is the Velox will be an outer limits type of tumbler, but I also expect it won't give up much in precision. I know they have been working on this plane for awhile because I've had it ready for Realflight a long time too, so there's been plenty of time to get it right, and it's going to be right...,.a fitting addition to the 3DHS lineup.
Apr 19, 2019, 02:03 PM
Doberman fan
oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh
I still have my yellow velox that ADC did back in the day
I am so stoked about this
Apr 21, 2019, 06:28 PM
This is so tempting. The original 47" Velox was my second 3DHS plane after my Buck Huck from the first production lot. Like a dummie I sold it and have missed it ever since. I even have a perfect motor and esc for it from my 51" Sabre. I can finally get some use out of my Motrofly. I might have to start thinking about servo's.
Apr 23, 2019, 08:53 PM
How do the 52's compare to the 48" planes? Besides the obvious 4" wingspan difference.

Overall do they present bigger in the air? I'm still not sold on the 52" planes, namely because of the price difference between them and the 48" planes which served us well for so many years.

Also, what is the sweet spot as far as battery size? I have some 4s 2650's I flew in my 51" slick, are these going to be too small?
Apr 23, 2019, 11:52 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WADETN
How do the 52's compare to the 48" planes? Overall do they present bigger in the air?
Absolutely, and on the ground too.

Quote:
I'm still not sold on the 52" planes, namely because of the price difference between them and the 48" planes which served us well for so many years.
I think if you read this you will be convinced. The 52" Class Is The Future of Mid Sized 3DXA Performance

Quote:
Also, what is the sweet spot as far as battery size? I have some 4s 2650's I flew in my 51" slick, are these going to be too small?
If you look around you can find 4s 3300 packs pretty reasonable.

The 48s are still great and selling so well that they are perpetually out of stock. However, the extra performance of the 52 puts it way ahead. With the newest construction techniques the kits are disgustingly nice.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Apr 23, 2019 at 11:58 PM.
Apr 24, 2019, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WADETN
How do the 52's compare to the 48" planes? Besides the obvious 4" wingspan difference.

Overall do they present bigger in the air? I'm still not sold on the 52" planes, namely because of the price difference between them and the 48" planes which served us well for so many years.

I would agree with everything that Doc said in his post above. I was a diehard 48" flyer for years and decided to try a 52" when the Extra was released by EF and after flyin them I haven't gone back to the 48's. For me the 52" planes offer all the same conveniences as the 48" series. They will fit in my Jeep Wrangler assembled with the wing on, use inexpensive 4s packs, there numerous options for great performing affordable servos and they fly and present almost on par with the 60" series. Your 4s/2650 packs will work perfect. The video below is my 52" Extra on a 4s/3300 pack.

Extreme Flight 52” Extra Smooth Evening Flight (5 min 30 sec)
Apr 24, 2019, 10:27 AM
Team Extreme Flight
I think if you equip a 52" with mega servos and a good ESS, you have every bit as much performance as a 60" plane. The beautiful part is it doesn't cost that much more to do. You can get a decent gyro for about $20, or spend $100 and get an Aura (which is worth it). This makes the 52 series into deadly serious airplanes, while still being easy to fly. In fact, with the centering premium servos give you, these are the easiest planes yet because you are not always fighting the plane, and it's not fighting you. You can get premium servos from $40 to $55, which is not all that much more than regular servos and they make an incredible difference.

However, if you are trying to budget, while not recommended, I got away with a set of rebuilt HS85MGs in an Extra for about 2 years, and it was really good. http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...me-flight.html You can even buy new 85s and still save about $60 because you also don't have to buy a BEC. Again, though, this is not the recommended set up. If you have a set of 85s left over from your 51" Slick, send them in for service because Hitec usually never charges for anything but gears or cases, and even that's inexpensive.

You don't even need an ESS either because I flew these planes for the first year without one and loved every minute. Depending on equipment, you can either build a great airplane or a deadly serious one.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Apr 24, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
Apr 24, 2019, 11:23 AM
What would lonelasso do?
NICE! The 3DHS Velox models were some of my favorites and I still have an old 47" in flying condition. I think I will need one of these new ones; great see you here Ben!

Quick Reply