Sep 21, 2019, 10:38 AM
What would lonelasso do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
...I think you could almost use it as a harrier trainer...
Indeed, the original 47" Velox was my harrier trainer
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2019, 10:43 AM
Team Extreme Flight
We've had 20mph wind since Friday but I've been enjoying the Velox so much that I flew it anyway and was just a little more careful. Since dialing the elevator back to 45 degrees I've changed the way I fly the plane to take advantage of it having a smoother pitch response and this has paid big dividends in making it all look better. With this set up it's only a little wilder than the other 52s, but still extremely manageable and easy to fly. I don't even miss the crazy pitch authority, mostly because it was so much you really couldn't use all of it. The plane is much nicer with a sensible set up, but then again, those of you with triple rates can have a low, high, and insane rate. I've only got two rates, but like the plane just fine that way.

Having flown every generation of Velox, I have to say the latest is by far the most refined version. The big advantage of this one is it's really smooth performance. It's not as smooth as an Extra, but it's very close, and still a lot smoother than I was expecting ....... light years ahead of it's predecessors. This Velox is a lot like what I would have expected a 52" MXS to be like, so for now it satisfies my lust for one of those.

I'm sorry I have not gotten a yellow video out but I'm closing in on it. The weather is set to turn nice soon and I need something to build.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Sep 23, 2019 at 10:55 AM.
Sep 23, 2019, 11:01 AM
Team Extreme Flight
I couldn't stand it any longer. I finally ordered my yellow Velox. I'll get up some pictures up as soon as I open the but since there is no deadline I'm going to take my time and enjoy the build.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:40 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Got a new camera guy, so cut us a little break. Next time will be better.

I've finally gotten 25 flights on my Velox and am stating to understand the plane much better. I'm still being a little careful with her, but even at that, she's extremely agile. The funny part is how smooth the plane is. Very refined airframe. Ben's best work yet, though the 52" Edge is right there too. It's been delightful to get two new 52s this good in a single year.

(4 min 59 sec)
Sep 24, 2019, 06:19 AM
Doc,

Your camera guy did a good job - well done.

As for the Velox you where pulling of some stuff that would make Tareq Alsaadi/Kyle Stacy blush. Very impressive. I'm kind of regretting I bought a backup slick kit because I would love to give this a go.

All the Best

Danny
Last edited by Dan the man; Sep 24, 2019 at 05:54 PM.
Sep 24, 2019, 09:42 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man
I'm kind of regretting I bought a backup slick kit because I would love to give this a go.
All of these planes are getting to be so good that you need two of each. If you can't have that many planes, it gets to be a tougher choice.
Sep 24, 2019, 04:19 PM
Quote:
All of these planes are getting to be so good that you need two of each. If you can't have that many planes, it gets to be a tougher choice.
Especially if you take a lot of chances down low! I've never seen anyone with faster reaction time than Doc, no clue how he keeps them in the air. I have to fly slow- my reaction time is measured with a calendar So it's good for me to have a spare.

A spare is a great idea, you never know when they are going to run out of them, then you are on the wait list forever.....
Sep 25, 2019, 11:47 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Speaking of spares, my yellow Velox is due for delivery today. There's no need to rush this one, so I plan to simply enjoy the build. I always say that, but once get going I enjoy it so much I almost never stop until it's done! This has gotten to be even worse with the 52s (and other V2s) because they go together so effortlessly.

The Velox continues to surprise me. I'm flying my blue almost every day and I'm really in love with it. Every time out I discover something new about her. Part of this is because I believe airplanes actually break in, and I also think it takes a little time to completely understand an airframe. I'm still working on the last part, but as always this has been fascinating. I liked the airplane from the beginning, and that gets better every flight. I really didn't need another airplane, but like the Velox much I really wanted a yellow. It's also very, very close to cool fall weather and great for being out in the garage with the doors open.

Hope to have some pictures tonight.
Sep 25, 2019, 04:03 PM

No, no pictures please

Quote:
Hope to have some pictures tonight.
From the guy with the great new camcorder we ask for video!

Yes, please do video in the way that only Doc Austin can do it.

Remember when you used to do video of the Motrolfly motors and 3DHS planes? Yes, the kind of video where you talk to the audience about the subject matter.

Doc, we thank you for continuing to raise the bar of excellence higher and higher!
Sep 25, 2019, 04:52 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill

Remember when you used to do video of the Motrolfly motors and 3DHS planes? Yes, the kind of video where you talk to the audience about the subject matter.
I'm too fat to be on camera now!

New Velox video from today rendering now. Had a great day in miserable wind conditions, but at least it's cooled off a little.

I unboxed my yellow Velox and it's extremely nice. I dry fit the hole plane together and I can see already it's going to be spectacular. I'm going to pick at it a little tonight buy probably won't start on it for real until tomorrow.
Sep 25, 2019, 05:27 PM

Radiant

Quote:
I unboxed my yellow Velox and it's extremely nice. I dry fit the hole plane together and I can see already it's going to be spectacular. I'm going to pick at it a little tonight buy probably won't start on it for real until tomorrow.
Yeah, take your time and enjoy the beauty and assembled radiance of the yellow and red scheme VR.
Sep 25, 2019, 05:39 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
I'm too fat to be on camera now!

New Velox video from today rendering now. Had a great day in miserable wind conditions, but at least it's cooled off a little.

I bet the Yellow Red is really sharp looking in person. Do take your time on the build. Still wish I had a good place to fly 52s, but our grass is hard on the pants of 60s and just about destroys anything smaller.

Hey you don't have to be on camera the whole time, just make a pass and talk to the camera guy and let us know what you're thinking.
Sep 25, 2019, 10:05 PM
Team Extreme Flight
I flew my blue today and rally had a blast. This has been a very surprising plane. I was a little spooked at first because the old Velox was so wild, but this one is extremely friendly and absolutely loves to be flown in elevators and harrier. It does really clean rollers and does nice slow and point rolls.

I've been working on death slides and the Velox does this really well because it has next to no coupling and the plane tracks straight. I don't know about the rest of you, but doing those death slides scars the crap out of me, though now I am a lot less afraid with this plane.

I went back up to 55 degrees on the elevator and 33 degrees on the ailerons. It's a nice friendly plane like this, though will still snap and tumble really well.

So, I'm very happy with this plane and looking forward to my yellow. For the photo below I dry fit everything together just to admire it. I took care of all the little jobs so once I glue the tail in the rest is just bolting stuff on. I spent a little extra time on the covering (because all I have is time on this build) and the entire plane is coming out just beautifully. It's nice to be able to slow down and take the time to getting
everything super dead on perfect.

I'm taking the decals to my local graphics place and having them duplicated in 3M high performance vinyl, so it's going to look like the box. I'll have some pictures of it assembled by tomorrow night, but the decals going to take a few days.

(4 min 55 sec)
Last edited by Doc Austin; Sep 26, 2019 at 12:22 AM.
Sep 26, 2019, 09:29 AM
Team Extreme Flight
For those who missed them, here are my Velox paint schemes for Reaflight 3.5 through present. The schemes fit on the Extra330L DC_EA, which I think is the best flying plane for Realflight.

Sep 26, 2019, 03:07 PM
Team Extreme Flight
No sense in rushing things considering I won't have servos until tomorrow. She's hinged, sealed, power system in, receiver and Aura mounted and finished, actually, except for dropping the servos in. That, and I am out of flag decals but she will get one before I fly her.

Again, all of the 52s are just nice projects. I've been wanting this plane for awhile, but kept putting it off because it was too hot in the garage to do any building. Now though, it's cooling off and the best flying weather is about two weeks away.

Quick Reply