Apr 04, 2019, 07:03 PM
ExtremeFlight - 3DHS - Legacy
Thread OP
Discussion

New! 3DHobbyShop 52" Velox Revolution

The new 3DHobbyShop 52” Velox Revolution

Extreme Flight is proud to announce a new addition to its 3DHobbyShop line of aircraft, the 52” Velox Revolution. We’re announcing this first on RCGroups for our longtime fans.

What is a Velox?

The Velox Revolution is a full-scale aerobatic aircraft produced by Charlie Wolff at Velox Aviation. It was among the first piston-engine aerobatic designs to be produced from a majority of composite airframe parts. The Velox has been in production since the mid-1990’s, and as of 2017, Charlie had completed 10 copies, in both Revolution I (single-place cockpit) and II (dual cockpit) versions.

The Velox is an interesting design subject for an aerobatic model because it’s “right” in the full-scale design, (mid-low wing, low stab, low thrust line) and does not have to be molested much to optimize it as a model.

The 52”

Starting from this great base, the 52” version is a stellar performer. Sporting huge tail surfaces, the Velox slots into the 52” lineup as the hooligan airplane. Chris and I, talking about how to describe its mission, decided on “classic 3D flying” as the best descriptor. The Velox covers all the 3D bases with low coupling at high rudder throws, for super low and slow HAKE passes and tight spins, and easy in-your-face hover and torque-roll.

The Velox includes SFG’s and I fly with them on, as there’s no downside to them. They make the big rudder seem even bigger and damp out any unwanted roll motion, especially in a breeze. A fun note, the full-scale Velox actually has an option for SFG’s, so they’re a scale feature.

Construction and Assembly

The Velox builds in the same easy, confidence-inspiring sequence as our other 52” designs, with the self-centering horizontal stab system. All the hardware is the tested-and-true system from our other 52” aircraft, and it uses the same equipment, based around the awesome XPWR 3910 motor .

The Velox is available in two genuine Oracover schemes with a high-contrast bottom surface design for easy and quick orientation.

We expect the Velox to arrive in our warehouse in Atlanta in about six weeks, with shipments to dealers happening around the same time frame.

A personal note

The Velox has always been a special aircraft to me. 3DHobbyShop has produced several Velox aircraft over the years in various sizes, and they have always been a go-to airplane for crazy 3D flying. This Velox continues that tradition, but it’s so much better than aircraft of this size could ever be, back in the day. As much as the Extreme Flight construction system makes these aircraft a joy to assemble and own, it also makes the design process a joy. Light, strong, straight, stiff, durable and precise, these 52” aircraft are the pinnacle for small aerobats, and I’m very happy to add a Velox to the lineup.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2019, 07:14 PM
3D Addict
Nice!!!!
Apr 04, 2019, 07:23 PM
1st off holy crap Ben is still alive! Lol. Looks really good I'm sure I will get one, why not I have all the other 52s. Now get cracking on a 80 ish inch 50 cc version for me.
Apr 04, 2019, 07:54 PM
ExtremeFlight - 3DHS - Legacy
Thread OP
I am indeed still alive and kicking...Chris keeps me pretty busy!
Apr 04, 2019, 08:48 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Oh, hell yeah!

Well have one as soon as they get here and will do our usual kamikaze build and fly report with lots of pictures.

These are for Real Flight 3.5 to present. Built on the best flying planes I could find.

Last edited by Doc Austin; Jun 18, 2019 at 05:37 PM.
Apr 04, 2019, 08:50 PM
I've never had a Velox, but I've heard they are really insane tumblers?
Apr 04, 2019, 08:53 PM
Hell yeah!! I was planning on getting another 51"-52" plane but was kinda waiting. This is a no brainer for me.
Apr 04, 2019, 09:06 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC
I've never had a Velox, but I've heard they are really insane tumblers?
Yes. The original would chew it's own tail off, and the VR1 was not quite as violent, but more precise. Both were very solid all the way around, though the original was definitely the hair on fire special. It will be interesting to see what Ben has done with it given ten years more knowledge. Add to that 52 is the magic size, and it's a 360 win/win/win.

Holy cow, you guys are going to love this plane. This expands the 52 class to four solid entries, and I am sure we will eventually be seeing Lasers, MXS, and maybe even Yaks. 52 is where it's at!
Apr 04, 2019, 10:09 PM
Iím in!!! The original was my first 3DHS plane. Had a blast with them. Iím sure this flies better than the original and the original was a blast.
Apr 05, 2019, 11:08 AM
3D Addict
I loved my 68 - first larger electric I got.
Apr 05, 2019, 11:30 AM
Team Extreme Flight
I really had a lot of fun with my Velox VR1s too. Really been missing this plane. Since 52 is the magic size, this new one is going to be mega.
Apr 05, 2019, 11:44 AM
One question.... WHEN? I must have, this looks so great.
Apr 05, 2019, 11:48 AM
A tale of two slickies
Wha...
Apr 05, 2019, 11:51 AM
This is amazing!!
Apr 05, 2019, 11:53 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdreamz
One question.... WHEN? I must have, this looks so great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
We expect the Velox to arrive in our warehouse in Atlanta in about six weeks, with shipments to dealers happening around the same time frame.
Still, not soon enough for me, but Ben always said I needed to work on the patience thing.

One thing I noticed is the new Velox' tail moment, which is considerably shorter than the other 52s. It's going to be insanely agile and will tumble like we have come to expect from a Velox. . It looks like this one is going to be just as wild as the original, but I am sure it's going to be much more refined, and since it's bigger it will also be more smooth and stable. That and the giant 15/6" prop is going to give you a ton of post stall control.

A little history on the original Velox: As far as I can see, the 47" Velox Revolution was the first 4ft plane to feature fully air foiled tail and control surfaces and ball link hardware. This was revolutionary on several levels. That air foiled tail made the plane fly smoother and gave us a level of control authority we had not yet seen. This was also the first 3DHS plane designed for both 3s and 4s operation. and on 4s the performance was simply startling. A few of us had tried 4s on out SHPs, and we were lucky not to blow the tails off the things. With the air foiled stab we could fly faster and carry more energy into snaps, tumbles, blenders and such, and it was the wildest thing we had ever seen.

At first this was a little shocking, but it was just a precursor of the new level of performance that was coming. The air foiled tail gave us a much better flying plane, so much more that it quickly became the industry standard in this size. The ball link hardware was a massive step forward in reliability and smooth, slop free operation, so like I said at the time, it was a very unexpected quantum leap. For it's time, the original Velox was truly a spaceship.

In a lot of ways the Velox is the granddady of the performance we enjoy today, and it truly was a revolution. Eventually time and technology passed it by a little, but now with 10 years of development knowledge, coupled with better servos, power system, and if you choose, a good ESS, we are on the verge of another performance revolution.

I also expect it will feature a lot of the V2-style composite treatment because the recently introduced 52" Edge has that. Every new release seems to be substantially improved. Thanks to Ben and the Boss for continuing to raise the bar. Times are really good and all the equipment is mind blowing.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Apr 05, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply