This thread is privately moderated by Suko, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 04, 2019, 11:55 AM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Setting up a Lemon Gyro on a 6ch plane

It seems like there's always a lot of questions on how to setup the Lemon stabilizer in a plane. There's a lot of guides out there, but it seems like that first setup can be daunting to a gyro newbie. I created this guide to help out some who may be needing some setup help.

First, let me make it clear that there's 2 different Lemon gyro types currently on the market. The Lemon Stabilizer and the Lemon Stabilizer PLUS. I personally prefer the standard Lemon Stabilizers, since the PLUS versions are a bit more complicated and more tedious to setup (IMO). Before you get started, make sure you know which version you are using. The standard lemon has the satellite port next to the dials. The PLUS model has a recessed button. This blog is discussing how to set up the STANDARD Lemon Gyros.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note: In order to utilize all 6 channels on a Lemon Stabilizer, you MUST have a 7+ channel transmitter. I know this doesn't make sense, but trust me. If you have a Dx6 and you have a 6ch airplane, this guide will not help you. There are gyro options available that can work, such as the admiral gyro receivers and the orange gyro, but the standard Lemon gyro is NOT recommended if you have a 6ch transmitter and a plane that requires all 6 channels.

Why? Because with a standard Lemon Gyro, the GEAR channel turns the gyro on/off. This means that anything plugged into GEAR will also turn your gyro on and off when used. Example: If we plugged the landing gear into the GEAR port, then every time we raise or lower the landing gear, it will cause the gyro to be turned on and off. This is undesirable, as it doesn't allow full control of the gyro without also controlling something else on the plane.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the standard Lemon Gyro Receiver w/ Satellite unit:
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?r...product_id=128

I could walk through the entire setup process, but I think you'll have a better understanding if you read the first few posts of this thread and also read the instructions shown on the Lemon webpage I linked to above. I will write down some detailed steps here (but you'll still need to read those two links to understand exactly how to do some of this).

Setup Process:
1) It is best to locate the gyro as close to the center of the plane's CG as possible. This isn't always an option, but at the very least, make sure the gyro is on the centerline (roll axis) of the plane. Make sure all the dip switches are flipped the correct direction (by default, they should all be switched to the same side - but just make sure). See here for info.

2) Plug in all the servo leads as normal except for GEAR. Leave the gear unconnected for a moment and bind the Rx to your Transmitter. Once bound, remove the BIND plug from the receiver and plug the landing gear servo cable into the BIND port on the Lemon Rx.

To recap why we're doing this:
Quote:
The key thing to remember is that the GEAR channel on the Lemon is used to toggle the gyro ON/OFF, so when hooking up servo leads, just plug the GEAR into the BIND port on the Rx (The BIND port on the Lemon is actually an AUX2 channel). On your Tx, you'll use AUX2 to activate the retracts while GEAR will turn gyro on/off.

3) Once things are connected, turn up the gain dials on the gyro so you can see/hear the control surfaces moving when you hold the plane. Then test to make sure everything is working well. Make sure the controls are moving the correct directions per your inputs and make sure that the gyro is "correcting" the right direction. Use the dip switches J1,J2,J3 to reverse gyro direction if needed. Also check to make sure the gyro is turning on/off when you flip the GEAR switch on your transmitter. All of this is covered in many Youtube videos and on the links I provided above - so if you get stuck, do some homework and sleep on it and keep at it.

Quote:
4) (Optional Step) I prefer to change the channel assignment on my transmitter to swap the GEAR and AUX2 channels. I prefer this, because doing the "swap" in the transmitter allows the Landing Gear (which is plugged into the AUX2 channel on the Lemon) to show as GEAR on the transmitter instead of Aux2. This isn't a critical step, but in my opinion, this helps keep things cleaner and labeled correctly inside the Tx.

On your Spektrum Transmitter, go to Setup>Channel Assign. On this screen, go to GEAR and change it to AUX2. Then go to AUX2 and change it to GEAR. Back out to the main screen and you're done. Now your GEAR channel on the transmitter will send a signal to the Lemon Rx's AUX2 port and vice-versa. If you don't see the benefit of doing this, then it's probably not something you need to worry about and just move along to step 5.

5) Unplug the battery from the plane (receiver). Turn off your Tx and turn everything back on and connect the battery to the plane. Test everything again - just to be sure everything is acting right. If not, read through this guide again and/or look on Youtube for help setting up the Lemon gyro.

6) The last thing to do is adjust the gain dials so it'll be optimal in flight. I recommend starting out at around 10 o'clock on all 3 dials. It should be a good (safe) starting point for you to use, but you may need to lower/increase the gains a bit depending on your preferences. If you have an 8ch transmitter, you can setup AUX3 on a dial/knob and use this to adjust the gains in-flight.

It is important to get the gain setting "just right" for each dial. Usually the rudder can be a higher setting than Aileron and Elevator, but each needs to be watched carefully. I start out each new plane setup at the 10 o'clock position and go for a flight. It is probably best if you start off with the gyro OFF. Get up to altitude and turn it on once you're comfortable in the air. Once the gyro is on, watch out for potential oscillations from the plane. If the plane oscillates (vibrates) while flying, then one or more of the gain dials is set too high.

Be ready to hit the gyro toggle switch on your Transmitter to disable the gyro if the plane starts to oscillate. These oscillations can get bad FAST and could cause a crash if you don't turn off the gyro in time. Oscillations will occur most often at higher speeds. So a way to test this is to put the plane into a fast dive and see if it wobbles. If it does, pay attention to which axis looks to be oscillating on and kill the gyro before it gets too bad. Once you land, turn down the dial of the control surface that caused the wobble (in my experience, it is usually aileron). Repeat this process until the plane no longer oscillates in high-speed flight. This means you have the gains set correctly.

That's it. You should hopefully have your gyro working now on your plane. If you ever see the plane start oscillating in flight, or behaving oddly/unexpectedly, turn the gyro OFF. Either the gyro gains are turned up too high and it's causing the plane to get the jitters, or there's always the possibility that the Lemon stabilizer came off and is bouncing around inside your plane! Toggling the gyro OFF will offer you a failsafe option in case this happens. Just don't forget which switch it is!

If anyone thinks I forgot something important, let me know and I'll add it to the list.
Last edited by Suko; Jul 25, 2019 at 02:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 09:00 AM

reversed ailerons

I'm trying to set up my Zohd flying wing, and I've got it mixing properly for elevon function, but my ailerons are reversed. Right stick gives me left roll, and vice versa. I can't fix it no matter what I do. I've tried switching plugs, I even tried changing the channel assignment in my Spektrum DX6 and nothing will change it.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:41 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Thread OP
I didn't see this until today, so sorry for the really late reply.

There's a few things to check. First, did you make sure the gyro is in "Delta" mode? If you look at the receiver unit, it'll say "*DETLA", make sure the dip switch next to it is switched ON.

Next would be to check your transmitter settings. You will want it set to NORMAL airplane mode. NOT elevon or delta. The delta mixing for the wing will be done inside the receiver, so you can leave your transmitter in normal mode.

Make sure one of your aileron servos is plugged into the aileron port, plug the other into the elevator port and test everything out. After doing all the things listed above, you may need to reverse directions on your Tx and/or the receiver.

Quick Reply