Dec 04, 2019, 12:24 AM
nsr500v

The new model is a ?? if not a P40N

Piaggo Avanti or beech Starship 1300mm
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2019, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
I personally love both of those! And it's not either one, but it is a twin...can't hover though
Dec 04, 2019, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
BTW, I've flown all of our 1.2m series warbirds quite a bit, and the P-39 has become my favorite/top pick! It's FAST (90+ MPH with a 4S battery!), yet slows down INCREDIBLY well...plus the ground handling is amazing with the tricycle landing gear!
Dec 04, 2019, 02:02 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
but it is a twin...

Great! We're finally getting an E-Flite OV-10 Bronco
Dec 04, 2019, 03:02 PM
Der Schaum-Kriegsvogel Pilot
Please be a 1200mm P-38...
Dec 04, 2019, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
It's not a warbird, but it is civilian scale! Just started the official thread here, and full details will be available tomorrow:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-BNF-Basic-PNP
Dec 05, 2019, 08:58 PM

Nose Gear Retract Disassembly / Repair

Doing repairs on the nose gear retract. It was only working sporadically, so time to replace it.

I have the old retract and nose gear / wheel out, but my question is how do I remove the strut and wheel from the retract and attach it to the new retract?

Thanks for the help, just dont want to man tork it and break something!

Chris
Dec 06, 2019, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdepue
Doing repairs on the nose gear retract. It was only working sporadically, so time to replace it.

I have the old retract and nose gear / wheel out, but my question is how do I remove the strut and wheel from the retract and attach it to the new retract?

Chris
Put the gear down and see if there's a set screw in the back of the trunnion.

CR
Dec 06, 2019, 12:30 PM
Quote:

Chris
Last time I took a retract apart, I noticed there was an "E" clip at the base of the trunnion. I placed the whole retract in a plastic zip lock bag, and then used a pair of fine tweezers to remove the clip. The clip came out, and I did not lose it in the carpeting!
Dec 06, 2019, 03:26 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the help, just don’t want to man tork it and break something!

Chris
There isn't a grub screw here? (marked with red arrow)

I need to replace mine as well, it doesn't go down all the way anymore, Horizon sent me a replacement but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
Dec 06, 2019, 09:18 PM

Set Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I
There isn't a grub screw here? (marked with red arrow)

I need to replace mine as well, it doesn't go down all the way anymore, Horizon sent me a replacement but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
SD,

There is a set screw there, but that just keeps the nose gear steering linkage in place. It does not control the release of the nose gear from the retract mechanism.

Chris
Dec 06, 2019, 10:31 PM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Quote:

Chris
If the retract that is playing up, is the one that you have pictured, then the most likely reason it is playing up is the gap between the trunnion and the little collar. That little collar is there to stop the gear leg going to far into the trunnion. If the gear leg goes to far into the trunnion, the very end of the gear leg will hit on the internal screw drive and stop it. And this can happen when the retract goes in or out. And may not happen at all sometimes.
So if you undo the grub screw on the collar and move it towards the trunnion so there is only about a 1/2mm gap(just so the nose leg will still turn. This should solve your problem.
If not and you still want to move your gear leg over to the new retract you have 2 options.
1st..... Is to open up the retract and remove the E clip on the end of the gear leg as previously mentioned.
Or 2nd..... Is open up the retract and just put the old trunnion in the new retract.
Both will require open up of both retracts no matter what you do.
But as I said if it is the gap in between the collar and trunnion you will just be transferring the problem over.
In the following video, I am changing the trunnion over (an off set trunnion) on a Durafly T-28. But the process is very similar for what you need to do.
But you will also see the collar Im talking about.
Metal trunnion mod. Durafly T-28 nose retract (7 min 30 sec)

P.S. Dont bother looking for a grub screw in the trunnion as stated by CR . There is no grub screw in a nose gear, otherwise it would not be able to turn.
There are grub screws in the main gear, but not the nose gear.

LURCH
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Dec 07, 2019, 11:54 AM
nsr500v
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101
If the retract that is playing up, is the one that you have pictured, then the most likely reason it is playing up is the gap between the trunnion and the little collar. That little collar is there to stop the gear leg going to far into the trunnion. If the gear leg goes to far into the trunnion, the very end of the gear leg will hit on the internal screw drive and stop it. And this can happen when the retract goes in or out. And may not happen at all sometimes.
So if you undo the grub screw on the collar and move it towards the trunnion so there is only about a 1/2mm gap(just so the nose leg will still turn. This should solve your problem.
If not and you still want to move your gear leg over to the new retract you have 2 options.
1st..... Is to open up the retract and remove the E clip on the end of the gear leg as previously mentioned.
Or 2nd..... Is open up the retract and just put the old trunnion in the new retract.
Both will require open up of both retracts no matter what you do.
But as I said if it is the gap in between the collar and trunnion you will just be transferring the problem over.
In the following video, I am changing the trunnion over (an off set trunnion) on a Durafly T-28. But the process is very similar for what you need to do.
But you will also see the collar Im talking about.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsD9FIuceM
P.S. Dont bother looking for a grub screw in the trunnion as stated by CR . There is no grub screw in a nose gear, otherwise it would not be able to turn.
There are grub screws in the main gear, but not the nose gear.

LURCH
Loosen the collar set screw and move it down but make sure it has very slight play and you are done
Dec 09, 2019, 12:48 AM
nsr500v

Precut Window masks from Calligrahics ??

I will inquire to Calligraphics tomorrow and see if she will start including precut canopy masks . I think I spend 1.5 hours on the 1200mm P47 / 1 hour on the P39 and would gladly spend $5 more if she could do them .way to time consuming and would make the repaint way easier
Dec 12, 2019, 07:29 AM

What is the P-39 Airacobra Receiver Orientation

FOUND THE ANSWER IN THIS FORUM - ANTENNAS TO THE REAR

Just bought P-39 BNF from and plan on dropping in AS3X 636 Receiver, which I just updated for the aircraft. What is the orientation of the receiver. I ASSUME the antennas are to the rear and cable attachments to the front, but I don't want to take a chance of wrecking my plane. I am kind of a newbie... Can someone with a plug-n-play version weigh in on this? Thanks.
Last edited by markdcarey; Dec 12, 2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Found the answer in this forum.

Quick Reply