Apr 03, 2019, 09:13 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Thread OP
Discussion

F-35 Lightning II - MkII

A few years ago I built a stand off scale model of an F35 around a 90mm Wemo fan. The model was moderately successful for a first attempt and I learned a lot from it since I tended to treat it like a test bed. Sometime in early spring 2018 I crashed it due to pilot error.

Fast forward a year and the MkII, or Beta as I call her, has 5 flights under her wings. Beta is 85% new as the plans were completely redrawn and built more scale. The only fuselage bits salvaged or carried over from Alpha were the vertical stabs, the canopy mold, and the nose cone mold. Also, the airfoils used on Alpha proved to be a good choice so I retained that data.
The new model has a more efficient intake and exhaust design. The intake is as straight as possible up to the fan.
The main landing gear is scale in location and operation. The mains sweep and rotate 90 degrees with the wheels tucking into the fuse at the wing roots.
The flaperon and elevator servos as well as their linkages are all internal keeping drag minimal.
The canopy is vacuum formed out of a 20 thou thick plastic sheet.

Length over all - 55 in
Wingspan - 42 in
Wemo Evo 90mm on 6s
Weight - 7.7 lbs

Im happy to report that this model flies very well by comparison and doesnt have any of the negative traits Alpha had.
I hope you like the few pics I have so far and Im planning to get some video soon.
Last edited by phantomphan; Apr 04, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2019, 11:17 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Very nice job. I remember the posts on your original F-35.

Dan Eaton
Apr 04, 2019, 11:32 AM
Classic jets rule
a built up fuse? foam core wings? looks very nice. I see these fly every day..loud little plane. where is your build thread?
Apr 04, 2019, 12:16 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice work on Beta..I remember alfa..7.7 lbs it very good for a 90mm ...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 04, 2019, 01:30 PM
Congrats. Great looking model, looking forward to some videos.
Apr 04, 2019, 02:04 PM
Very nice! I also remember your original
Apr 04, 2019, 06:09 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Thread OP
Thanks guys. This one has been a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
a built up fuse? foam core wings? looks very nice. I see these fly every day..loud little plane. where is your build thread?
The model is all built up with plug in wings. No foam.
Ive done foam core wings in the past but its not my preferred way to build wings.

I never have enough time to do everything Id like to do. Plus if the project is a failure Id rather it stay a private matter.
Once its done and working well thou, I don't mind sharing and answering questions if anyone is interested

Cheers.
Apr 08, 2019, 05:31 PM
Classic jets rule
Fair enough ...good luck on the flights !
Apr 08, 2019, 06:39 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Nice work on Beta..I remember alfa..7.7 lbs it very good for a 90mm ...
The AUW of this one will be a little heavier than Alpha once I get a cockpit installed. But the airframe itself it lighter. The added weight is primarily due to the beefy FMS 1700mm Corsair retracts and shortened Freewing F14 main landing gear struts and wheels. They are quite a bit heavier than the gear I used previously.
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...1700mm-corsair
https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...and-wheel-left

Lifting bodies are incredibly interesting and I think Beta's lift coefficient is better. I cant quantify it obviously but I do know that take off runs and landing distances are no worse. Just for reference, I have a FMS A-10 twin 70mm and the take off distances seem about the same. Also, a few fellow modeler's have asked where the CG is and most bug when I tell them about 2.88 inches from the wing LE at the root.

Cheers.
Last edited by phantomphan; Apr 08, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
May 17, 2019, 08:54 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Thread OP
Ive been having bad luck syncing up with my fav camera man I guess next time Im at the field I may have to recruit a new helper.

Anyway, Im having a blast with the F35 and the area under the canopy was looking rather empty so I made up a simple vac molded cockpit. I used 20 thou sheet - plenty strong and lightweight. A 1/10 scale pilot from Jet Hangar Hobbies got the job and he has 3 sorties under his wings now.

Im liking vac molding and the next part I plan to make is the blister for the 25mm cannon.
May 18, 2019, 01:53 AM
A very nice build glad it flies well. The first flight on an own design/build are always tense and I find I only start fully relaxing around the third or fourth flight.

Would like to see the vid as it is a model I have been thinking of doing since the RAF got them.
May 18, 2019, 05:14 PM
Cockpit turned out great
May 21, 2019, 05:03 PM
Design.Build.Fly
Thread OP

flight vid

It was to beautiful a day to not get some jet flying in There were a few of us at field and I recruited my friend Jeff to play camera man. He filmed my first flight of the day and I think he did a great job considering the lousy iphone I handed him to film with.
The flight was all at mid throttle except for the take off and the couple of climbs into a reverse cuban

F-35 Lightning II - 90mm EDF - mkII (4 min 21 sec)
May 23, 2019, 12:54 PM
Classic jets rule
Hey Now that fly's great! roll really nice too. you sure can be proud of that build.
May 24, 2019, 05:41 AM
Excellent flight!

Quick Reply