This thread is privately moderated by bill34207, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 02, 2019, 06:14 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Yesterday was one of those day when I just couldn't seem to get moving after waking up around 3:30 in the morning with my sciatica making my left leg cramp.
Not sure how I missed it a couple of days ago but did find my 12 gauge wire yesterday after putting my bed sheets in the wash after having sweated the night before and leaving the pillow case pretty damp. Other than the laundry, I did pretty much nothing yesterday because I had no real ambition.

I wound up waking up early again this morning but it was closer to 5:00 and had at least a little ambition so got my wiring harness finished up and even installed the fan after checking it one last time for correct rotation and making sure the burner still worked since I had to make a few splices in the burner to battery lead to get it into the cockpit area.

My Motion order showed up a little while ago but haven't opened it yet. I no longer need the wire after finding my stash but will be getting into the linkage package sometimes soon. Right now my biggest hold up is waiting on the Y harness' to arrive so I can clean up the wiring and do final assembly and balance.

Hoping for a good nights sleep tonight and maybe I'll have some ambition again tomorrow.
Latest blog entry: Current Health Conditions
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2019, 07:14 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
I really thought I'd finish this one yesterday, but even the best laid plans....

My Y harness' showed up on Wednesday in the evening mail and I was able to get the wing wiring for aileron and flap done before calling it a night, but didn't bother with shooting any photos at the time.

Yesterday (July 4) was scheduled to be another scorcher with heat index getting into the 108-112 F range so thought for sure I'd finish the model up by staying indoors and working on it as much as my body would allow. Came close but no prize.

After getting the right side vertical installed moved over to do the left and found the servo lead for it to be MIA. (It was there earlier in the day) There was a loop of wire there but no connector. I'm pretty sure to loop actually goes to the left side elevator servo after doing a little exploratory surgery. Not sure of how it managed to get into that part of the channel since only the ruder wire had been there before. I did finally find the rudder wire by pulling the battery/gyro tray back out of the model. It had manged to fall down inside the fuselage. That's pretty much where I decided I'd been aggravated enough and called it a night.
Hopefully I'll manage to get the wire back into the correct spot sometimes today and actually get it finished.
Last edited by bill34207; Jul 05, 2019 at 07:26 AM.
Jul 05, 2019, 04:50 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP

Success

I had some old Great Planes nyrod laying around but it proved ineffective for negotiating the bends in the wiring trough. I found a strand of Cat 5 lan cable and it worked well though.

It's now basically finished other than checking and adjusting CG as needed. I had set control throws a while back. Looks like it must have burned out the green (starboard) LED. I even pulled the board (again) to see if I'd knocked it out of the socket or something. That was not the case as it still would not come on if plugged into the socket for the red side. The red would come on plugged into either port so I'm thinking either bad LED or maybe a broken solder joint. Regardless, I'm not going to dig it out of the LEX to find out.

OH, the RC Geek center burner works too.
Freewing FA18C RC Geek CB (0 min 32 sec)
Jul 06, 2019, 04:31 AM
Roll with the changes...
Bill, thank you for sharing so much. I do appreciate how much work "life" can be.

I'm excited to see your f-18 fly. Would you post up on FB when you're going out? I'd like to see the maiden with all the mods you made.

Peace.
Dan Ribar
Jul 06, 2019, 01:19 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibarSRQ
Bill, thank you for sharing so much. I do appreciate how much work "life" can be.

I'm excited to see your f-18 fly. Would you post up on FB when you're going out? I'd like to see the maiden with all the mods you made.

Peace.
Dan Ribar
Thanks Dan. I wish it were that easy to post a schedule but right now I never know from one day to the next how I'll be feeling that day. I have good and not so decent in no particular order. I know a day with it in the low to mid 80's with a nice eastern breeze would make me want to try to get out for it. These hot days like we're having now make me a little dizzy just walking out of the AC to the outdoors. On the good side little "projects" like this help keep me somewhat sane.
Jul 06, 2019, 01:36 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
In other "news" my green (starboard) nav light is working again. Somebody put up a Youtube video in the main thread last night about checking the connectors in the fuselage. After peeling back the tape the problem was pretty obvious.

I'd say it's pretty much ready for a maiden flight now as well. I was worried about it being nose heavy but where I had guessed at battery location was on the tail heavy side. Airframe minus the flight packs is roughly 6 lbs, 12 oz. The two Gens Ace 4s 5000 ma 45c packs add another 2 lbs., 3 oz. so it will be really close to 9 pounds ready to fly.
Jul 10, 2019, 09:08 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
I have to say yesterday's all day rain event was a good day for me. The lower air temps left me feeling a little more "energetic" pretty much all day long and managed to finish a project I started on Monday. (the wood cut and and drilled for the PVC pipe) so yesterday was final assembly.

My visit with Dr. King went well yesterday. He said I did the right thing by bumping my anti seize medication to three a day and he would have done the same thing. I took along a sheet with notes as well as the muscle relaxer prescription that Dr Dalzel had written for me back in mid June. He sent in another for the same thing but in a higher mg so will have to make a run to Publix after while to pick it up. I'd really like to be rid of the muscle soreness and pain in my left side rib cage and hoping this round will finish the job the 10 day supply from Dalzel started.

Today is not looking to be as wet as yesterday was. Had a shower early this morning but the sun is currently beaming pretty strong so it's going to be an indoors kind of day for me at this rate. Thinking maybe I will try to get some of my "hobby room" unpacked and put away since there's around 5 boxes of stuff I haven't opened yet.
Jul 11, 2019, 07:53 AM
AA6JB
That's quite a line-up on that rack Bill! Some great looking jets for sure!
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Jul 11, 2019, 07:56 AM
Roll with the changes...
Hobby room is looking good man!
Jul 11, 2019, 01:16 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Thanks Jon and thanks Dan. It's nice to know someone is stopping by on occasion.
I didn't really accomplish a lot yesterday but did at least relocate the hanging bracket for my Avanti and shuffled planes around again. Moving the "Scooter" to the rack opened up a shelf to sort parts on. It wound up being around 2:00 yesterday before I could get my prescription so that kind of threw me behind a little.
Strange thing on the prescription, too. The one from my primary care (Dalzell) was only 5 mg and only a 10 day supply. When I picked it up they said the insurance would not cover it and I wound up paying for it (about $42.00) from my own pocket. When I picked up the one from Dr. King, it was for 10 mg., 30 day supply, and has two refills available on it between now and July of next year. And, the insurance paid for it. Same drug, (Baclofen) with the only difference being in the 5 mg to 10 mg dosage and the same pharmacy. This time it cost me nothing though.

Today has been really low ambition on my part. I'm sure some of that comes from waking up to a leg cramp around 1:00 this morning. Walked that off (more or less) before siting on the front porch for a while and massaging my leg to finally get it gone. Went back to bed and woke up to the same thing around 4:30. This time I didn't bother with going back to bed. I had an early morning Dr. appointment and almost let it sneak up on me. I thought it was for 11:30 and turned out it was for 9:45. Good thing for the smartphone alert in this case. Since getting back home I've been being kind of lazy. Might be in part to the higher dosage of the muscle relaxer but will still blame poor sleep quality for the most part. Maybe I'll get motivated sometimes between now and bedtime to go through a couple more boxes.

In other thoughts, early Saturday morning is looking pretty good so far (weather conditions) for the possibility of a maiden on the Hornet.
Jul 12, 2019, 09:42 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
I did manage to accomplish one thing before calling it a night yesterday. I finally got the 32" TV that had been sitting in the floor since I bought this place put on a wall mount and out of the way. As a reward, I woke up this morning with hurting ribs. Guess it's a good thing the TV was not really heavy. I still need to run coax and get it hooked to my outdoor antenna to get a full channel count as it only gets about 9 stations on the indoor "leaf" antenna it's currently hooked to. Still a great deal for the price. The lady I bought the place from left it behind along with a lot of the other furniture I'm using/keeping.

Did a few quick other shots to kind of finish out a tour of my "hobby room" although it's still in need of some serious organization and putting stuff away. I may get around to accomplishing parts of that task later today, or maybe not. Today is mostly going to be about getting batteries charged for tomorrow and resting a bit to hopefully feel good when tomorrow morning gets here.
Jul 13, 2019, 03:57 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Happy to report a successful maiden plus two more flights for the F/A18-C today. The maiden was "interesting" to say the least. Looking at the video, the Soloshot camera was seeing the model a lot better than my eyes were in the gray skies of this morning. It also needed quite a bit of left aileron trim for some reason so will check into that a little later. To make things even better, the flaps failed to deploy so my landing at the end was a bit hot and long. Strange, we walked down to the model and I flipped the flap switch back to off and they cycled and started working again. Something else I need to look into after I finish recovering from today. Being there from around 7:30 this morning til noon has pretty much killed me for the rest of the day. (at least I got the video's processed)
Freewing FA18 C Maiden Soloshot 3 (5 min 41 sec)

Dan Ribar was kind enough to operate my good Sony camera for the 2nd flight and he did well with it. The skies were a little better this time around because I could actually see the model pretty well and the flaps even worked for this landing.
Freewing FA18 C Flight 2 Sony (5 min 44 sec)

Third flight was back to the Soloshot 3 and I wound up cutting a couple of minutes of gray sky out of the video since the Soloshot went into lets just scan the heavens with no target mode. The main thing I wanted from this video was the landing anyways since it was my best of the day.
Freewing FA18 C Flight 3 Soloshot 3 (3 min 50 sec)
Jul 14, 2019, 01:57 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Decided to try and get some video of my Arctic Aggressor repaint today since I didn't get any yesterday while doing the F-18 maiden. I only took two batteries along so I'd leave the field earlier in the day as well. Yesterday about killed me staying til noon. I was on my way back home before 10:00 this morning and as a result, don't feel as dead. I was flying a bit on the aggressive side for this video and tracking left a bit to be desired. I didn't allow quite enough weight shift for the flight pack to compensate for the extra weight of the tag and was a little nose heavy as well.
Freewing L-39 Arctic 1 - Soloshot 3 (4 min 40 sec)

I wasn't flying as aggressively on this flight as I did during the "Arctic 1" and the Soloshot tracking worked pretty good overall. Even if it hadn't this would have been my "keeper video" just for the landing. It's not often that I make a nice smooth one, and even more rare is for it to be caught on video.
Freewing L-39 Arctic 2 - Soloshot 3 (5 min 38 sec)
Jul 16, 2019, 02:32 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Yesterday was not a great day for me. Too much aggravation from a Dr. appointment that got totally screwed up and both Lowe's and Home Depot being out of stock on TV coax cable in the length I wanted. 'Nuff said about that.

Today I went out to fly again since there were no appointments to keep, but it still got way too hot way to quick in the day to suit me. I got there at 7:30 and was done flying by 9:30 but was getting pretty miserable even in the shade of the shelter with a ceiling fan running above my head. But, I wanted to fly my Mig 21 since it had not been airborne since before installing the RC Geek center burner in it. (Sometime earlier in this thread)

Today was not a day of "butterfly with sore feet" landings for me. Lack of a breeze to help slow down didn't help and the heavy muggy air did not help me at all.
Overall, the Soloshot did a pretty good job of tracking this flight and might have even caught a little of the RC Geek center burner. The burner was really visible from where I was standing but the camera angles were not that great from where the base was located.
Freewing Mig 21 Flight 57 Soloshot 3 (5 min 44 sec)

Second flight on the Mig since installing the center burner. Mistakes were made during this flight. One when the prop job that was in the air called landing about the time I was doing a gear pass. Then he dropped it in the grass instead of on the runway and I made the mistake of looking to see where he went in and almost put my Mig in. Other than that and a less than excellent landing no harm done though.
Tracking on this one was not as good as the 1st flight but again you might see a flicker or two from the center burner.
Freewing Mig 21 Flight 58 Soloshot 3 (5 min 45 sec)

Took my little A-4 out today as well since it had been "a while" since it's last flight. I really blew the landing on this one by letting it get just a little too slow while still a foot or so above the runway. Again no real harm done other than I'll probably need to replace the nose strut pin.
Freewing A-4 Skyhawk Flight 44 Soloshot 3 (4 min 23 sec)

That's pretty much my day so far and I don't expect I'll accomplish much more today. The heat got to me in spite of calling it an early day.
Jul 16, 2019, 02:58 PM
Roll with the changes...
Count your blessings -- you're out flying!!! Thanks for the update Bill. I don't always respond, but I'm always reading

Quick Reply