This thread is privately moderated by bill34207, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 03, 2019, 06:07 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Discussion

Current Health Conditions

I just want to say thanks for the well wishes and concern shown by many of my fellow RC Groupers over my recent stroke.
I'll try to answer any questions regarding my stroke here instead of getting way off topic in the general discussion threads.

On Monday March 25th at around 5:15 PM my left arm seemed to develop a mind of it's own and tried to beat me to death. Luckily I was at work and not on the road home so was able to call out across the room for help. EMS was summoned and I was transported to Manatee Memorial after they decided I had a stroke local to my left arm only. The seizures had stopped by the time EMS arrived but there was no strength left in my arm. I couldn't even lift it without using my other arm to do so. Shortly after arriving at the ER, I experienced another seizure in the same arm but this one was short lived due to whatever the drug was they injected me with. I spent the night in the ER and was transported to the stroke unit the next day.
From there I was given steroids, and anti seizure medications via IV and had multiple CT and MRI Scans (with & without contrast) over a period of a few days. There is a small tumor/lesion of approx. 1.3 cm in my brain that they feel is responsible for my condition and surgery has been scheduled to remove it on April 11th. Prayers for a well trained surgeon with God guiding his hands will be much appreciated for this date. I'm hoping for minimal complications for this event although the surgeon has already told me that it would be much better if the tumor was a located a bit further forward or even rearward of where it's at.

Blood Thinners: I was able to convince them to release me on Saturday March 30th to allow the time required for blood thinners to work their way out of my body prior to the surgery. I had to have a stint put in my left leg back in 2016 and have been on a daily dose of both Plavix and low dose aspiring ever since.

Currently I'm taking only the oral steroids and anti seizure medications I was given prescriptions for prior to leaving the hospital. The anti seizure meds really kick my @$$ so I don't get to do a whole lot. They make me dizzy & drowsy so have to get any running around done prior to taking them. Being confined to home still beats being in a hospital ward by a whole lot though. At least here I can watch what I want on TV (between naps) and even work on my models since I'm not currently capable of flying them.
Latest blog entry: Current Health Conditions
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2019, 08:14 AM
Best wishes for a speedy & full recovery, Bill.
Apr 03, 2019, 02:55 PM
Praying for a successful op & Godspeed Bill.. Hope to see you back on RCG as a full time Pilot soon..
Apr 04, 2019, 04:22 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Thanks Spaaro & HHNF

Today I actually hooked up the RC Geek Center burner in my Mig 21 as a project while I wait for the decals to arrive for the L-39. (I put the burner in the 39 originally but had plans for the Mig with it from the beginning. Today was the day to do it.
That 21 has a LONG tailpipe when it's assembled. Gotta think one of the burners would be a lot easier "new install" while building. I managed to use some PVC tubing I had laying to get the tape smoothed out inside the pipe, but it was time consuming to say the least. Got all the light install and wiring run then found I'd managed to unplug the lead from the control board in the process of pulling wires to the front. Something I though I'd be done with before noon took 'til after 2:00 but it did keep my mind occupied and off other thoughts. (Been in kind of a dark mood most of the day and thinking about human mortality I guess)

I just got to thinking a little while ago and guess I was lucky to have been at work when the stroke happened. 20 minutes later and I would have been on my way home, alone, in ridiculous traffic and would have really been ed. As it was someone from across the room saw what was happening, called for assistance and I got lucky enough for a ride to the ER. Even if the stroke had not killed me it could have created a really bad accident as I had no real control over motor function in my left arm. Talk about a "radio system glitch"
It's all good for now at least. Just hoping for a rapid and complete recovery after the surgery with no major complications.
Apr 05, 2019, 08:12 AM
Blue Skies
Bill, you have my prayers and wishes for a safe and effective operation. We never know when our time here will be over. All we can do is enjoy today, this minute, now. You sound like you're doing that. After your operation, I hope for a complete and quick recovery. I look forward to more of your posts on here on RCGs.
Don
Apr 05, 2019, 02:48 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Thanks again to all that have been so supportive in this time of low spirits for me.
My decals showed up today so have pretty much finished up the L-39. I'm thinking I might have been better off with a decal set from the 70 mm Yak 130 than with the 80 mm Mig 21 though. The Mig decals are HUGE but I used them anyway.
I think my MinWax is not correct either. It was marked as clear matte but has more of a sheen to it like satin. Oh well, it is what it is.

This is a project I did around 4:00 AM this morning after waking up and not being able to go back to sleep. There is a bit of a write up in the description on YouTube but won't duplicate it here. Just enjoy the video. Projects like these help keep me sane while waiting for the countdown to finish.

Motion RC Fan Flights (11 min 30 sec)
Apr 07, 2019, 12:15 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
I woke up very early this morning and thought I'd take advantage of the situation for a few glamour shots of the L-39 when the lights were very visible. What I wasn't counting on was so much fog that I'd have to manually adjust the camera focus just to get it to focus. I took along my Avanti as well and put a couple of flights on it after the fog lifted. No flights for the L-39 today. The battery in it only had a storage charge and I didn't really feel comfortable with trusting myself on it just yet.

L-39 Photo (1 min 14 sec)

After getting home, decided that while I had the good camera handy to at least check and record the operation of the RC Geek Center Burner that I finally got around to installing in the Mig 21 this past Thursday.

Mig 21 Center Burner (1 min 14 sec)
Apr 09, 2019, 04:38 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
4:00 AM seems to have become my new "normal" turn out time here lately. Actually I think I've been awake since around 2:00 but gave up and got up at 4:00.
I have to be at Blake Outpatient Services at 8:00 this morning for some pre-surgery testing and didn't want to take a chance of falling asleep and missing it. I'll most likely have a nap after getting back home and taking my morning medications. Part of my lack of sleep could probably be chased back to me catching myself dozing off on the couch around 9:00 last night and having a couple of hotdogs to put some food on my stomach for taking the nighttime dose of steroid before showering and going to bed. I don't think they sat well with me.
Food in general has not been agreeing with me the past couple of days. It seems like every time I start to eat, the stomach tries to close the incoming door and push it back to my throat. I do eventually overcome it, but it does take some time and effort. I'm hoping after getting off the steroid (only one more dose in the bottle now) this will go away.

I worry about Boots, the cat. When I got to come home from Manatee Memorial after being absent for 5 days she was on the roof of the place and I had to park my van under the overhang so she could get down. She has spent most of every day since I got home laying on one of my battery boxes. Occasionally she will get up to eat or go outside for a while but she's always anxious to get back to her perch to keep an eye on me. She's probably going to get freaked out again when I go in for surgery on the 11th.
Apr 10, 2019, 05:08 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
I actually made it until after 5:00 this morning. Still woke up around 2:00 (seems my neighbor likes to yell at her kids around that time of morning and it comes through the walls ) but was able to doze back off after turning on my white noise generating fan. Sleeping later will be a real blessing for tomorrow since I'm not supposed to have anything to eat or drink after midnight tonight for the upcoming surgery.
I had a pretty good nap yesterday after getting back from the pretesting. Finished up breakfast around 11:00 and slept through pretty much all of the "Outlaw Josie Wales" movie I had plugged in to have some background noise. I didn't eat so late last night either so I'm sure that helped as well.

The pretesting IMO was mostly a big rip off from the medical company/hospital. It consisted of lung/chest X-ray from two angles, an EKG and about 10 vials of blood samples that they drew. The estimated "my portion" of the cost, close to $2200.00 discounted to a little over $1900.00 if I prepaid it. I tried my HSA card and to my surprise it appeared to process for the dollar amount they wanted. (I didn't think there was that much available balance on it) It may come back to get me later, but for the time being all is good I guess. They can bill me if I survive the surgery. I still think it was way overpriced for what they did though.

I'm not really much of a "selfie" kind of person to be honest. I'm at that age where "I don't look good on camera any more". Still I am happy with how the large dark bags normally found under my eyes have decreased so much over the past couple of weeks.
Apr 11, 2019, 01:47 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Well, this morning sure isn't going to plan.
I'm basically awake but pretty sure I will be getting drowsy again in a little while. Woke up with my nose stopped up so getting up for a wile and hoping it will clear and let me doze back off later. Regardless, I should get plenty of sleep after being admitted for the surgery.
On the good side, I didn't wake up hungry. That steak sandwich Brian brought me yesterday evening is staying with me pretty good. I still get to have a little water later with my anti seizure medication as well according to the paperwork I have. I still have to take another surgical scrub shower between now and heading to check in as well.
Yesterday I took care of what little dirty laundry I'd accumulated since the weekend (normal wash time) and did a load of dishes so I don't have to deal with them when 1st getting back home. The house is basically clean although still cluttered. (It's ALWAYS cluttered)

This will be my last entry for a while since I'm not really internet savvy with using my cell phone. If I can't use my desktop or laptop, I don't surf the web. My 67th birthday is April 18 and my hopes and goals are to celebrate it at home. This is pending on minimal complications and recovery time. That will be a full week from today so keeping my fingers crossed for it.
To those friends reading along, keep your fingers crossed for me and keep me in your prayers. I hope to be back in about a week.
Apr 11, 2019, 05:05 AM
Blue Skies
Good luck Bill, and happy birthday a little early. I hope you get your wish to celebrate it at home.
Don
Apr 11, 2019, 05:49 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Thanks Don
As an update I did manage to doze back off around 4:00 this morning and right now wishing I could have some coffee. But, I can't so will have to settle for a swallow of water after while when I take my medicine.
My buddy Brian is supposed to pick me up around 10:30 this morning to transport me to Blake with the new check in time being 11:30 for today.
Guess I should get occupied with taking care of a few things around here
Apr 11, 2019, 07:32 AM
AA6JB
We will anxiously be awaiting your return Bill. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Apr 13, 2019, 01:26 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Thanks Jon
I am now at home and very happy to be here in invalid mode than at Blake Medical Center If I were doing a review/comparison, Manatee Memorial far exceeded Blake for overall patient care. The 1st night in intensive care was not all that bad. It was well staffed, the equipment up to date and care factor by the staff was good. I'll also give Dr Michael King a big kudos on the skillful surgery as I have experienced no weakness or paralysis from his removal of the tumor. I haven't gotten to talk to him about it yet but assume he got it all. He sent in his associate to get me released today. I do have to make an appointment to get back in and have staples removed next Friday
After getting moved down a floor to general recovery I really did not want to even be there at all. Understaffed (or at least it seemed that way) under trained and not very good at their jobs. I was actually correcting the nurse that was giving me my medicines on the proper dosages on a couple of occasions.
Anyway, I'm a bit weak and a bit spacey as well. I was given another IV dosage about an hour before Brian came to pick me up and bring me home. I've given myself a sponge bath since I was told not to get my head wet for at least two days. I'll stop here for now.
Bill
Last edited by bill34207; Apr 13, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
Apr 13, 2019, 02:24 PM
Hello Bill! I'm glad you have survived such an ordeal and are now on your road to recovery. I've always enjoyed your posts and comments here on RCGroups. I wish you the best and hope you will be back flying again this season. Take care!

Quick Reply