This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 02, 2019, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Minimum RC Piper J3

https://www.banggood.com/custlink/KK3GrdJ1Bo - Minimum RC Piper J3 @ Banggood.com

I saw this on banggood.com and thought - how cute is that !
With Oz Wizards becoming crazy %^&^&#$^*'s and criminalising RC in Oz , it looks like law abiding citizens need to think smaller if they dont want to be licensed and registered like gun owners for flying model air-planes .

So with crazy Wizards running Oz !

This be a very small J3

Specification
Wingspans : 360mm
Length : 290mm
Weight : 25g
Motor : 720 coreless motor

My plan is to use one of my precious V911 boards to fly the J3 .
So as pictured , is where the stock build ends ... And the V911 conversion starts .

Fuse:
Comprises of 3 pieces of depron glued together
This makes for a light yet relatively stiff sheet fuse .
Only issue I see , is the section for the Rud / Ele is left as a single sheet . This makes the tail somewhat flexible and weak . ( Could be an issue )
Also be sure to alight correctly as the two outer pieces are used to create a slot for gluing the wing into .

Rud / Ele:
The rudder seems fine , but you need to be careful gluing the elevator .. It needs to be located carefully so it does not sit too far forward or to far back .
Also it is best to get your angles correct . the ele does not just sit there while the glue dries , it tended to droop for me .. So I needed something under one ele tip to maintain that 90deg angle with the rudder while the glue dried ..

Landing Gear:
There are some ply plates that can be used to sandwich the music wire legs .. I did this and then cyno'ed .. then I glued the assembly into the fuse ..

Wheels:
Just ply plates and some foam doughnuts .. Just glue as needed .. I only used one ply plate as I did not want the weight .

Wing support:
There is a T shaped piece of ply that needs to be glued in ontop the fuse .. Easy peasy !

Wings:
Just crack the wing fold line gently ( to create a air foil shape ) .. Then glue the wing into the wing slot in the fuse ... Also glue it to the support ply ..
Is it a spar ? ( possibly )

Thats where I am at .. Plus I glued the motor in and put some of the Decals on ..
I checked the CG at this point , and it looks to be very close to the wing fold ...
Hmmm , it actually glides very nicely ( short indoor glide onto a bed ) .. So I have hope for the little J3 , that it will fly and Rc .

to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply