Apr 04, 2019, 08:59 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
Are there modules that work with Futaba radios to fly planes with DSMX receivers? (It appears there used to be a DSM2 module, but I'm not seeing any DSMX. I might just be missing it though.)
Only with older radios (IIRC Orange still makes their DSM-sorta module in Futaba compatible form and a Multiprotocol module could be installed in a Futaba module case), their newer radios have no module support.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2019, 09:05 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
Probably Futaba T32MZ will have a very tough competitor in the Powerbox CORE radio and also probably the other way around. And with the other top end radios.
I have been following the CORE radio over at Powerbox Systems forum at their website and this radio followed the same delay pattern as most other radio manufacturer, for one and another reasons. The software of these high end radios can be very flexible and new features added, within hardware limits, and that may tempt radio manufacturer to release a new radio little too early, thinking they can add features along the way. Of course they are eager to get in money as quick as possible for the time consuming and hard work for the development of the software etc, but for us end users we are in danger to be beta testers. I do not say this is the case with the CORE radio but perhaps a tendency there in my opinion.
And what I like about Futaba (I use one myself) is that they usually deliver a rather full fledge radio as far as features and software is concerned already from the very first release of the radio, and then add some features and corrections along the way as neccessary. It is in my opinion a better approach, and safer also I think.

/Bo
I don't see the Futaba's as being able to directly compete with the Core or Jeti units, because of the lack of integrations with in-aircraft electronics on the Futaba side.

Compared to the Core, Futaba benefits from having a mature TX software platform, while Core is really in early beta stage in terms of programming firmware (IE not even close to being feature complete). But Core as it matures will be able to take full advantage of the link to the PowerBox units, much like Jeti can with it's CB's (and Spektrum and FrSky are also taking steps in this direction).

This really comes back to the difference between a radio and a control system. Futaba delivers excellent and highly capable radios and solid receivers. But that's all they do. They completely lack any extension past the receiver aside from a limited selection of telemetry sensors. No stabilization, no power distribution, no ESC integration. They really sell a 1st generation telemetry system in a market where 2nd generation telemetry & systems management is rapidly becoming the norm.

Futaba NEEDS to get on this. They're half a decade behind already and fading fast, and the issue is not their ability to deliver excellent radios (which they certainly can). It's an inability to look beyond simple receivers.
Apr 04, 2019, 09:11 AM
"konormgregory" thank you very much for your consideration and clarification regarding your plea for a Futaba small full range receiver.

Best Regards
Apr 04, 2019, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
Probably Futaba T32MZ will have a very tough competitor in the Powerbox CORE radio and also probably the other way around. And with the other top end radios.
I have been following the CORE radio over at Powerbox Systems forum at their website and this radio followed the same delay pattern as most other radio manufacturer, for one and another reasons. The software of these high end radios can be very flexible and new features added, within hardware limits, and that may tempt radio manufacturer to release a new radio little too early, thinking they can add features along the way. Of course they are eager to get in money as quick as possible for the time consuming and hard work for the development of the software etc, but for us end users we are in danger to be beta testers. I do not say this is the case with the CORE radio but perhaps a tendency there in my opinion.
And what I like about Futaba (I use one myself) is that they usually deliver a rather full fledge radio as far as features and software is concerned already from the very first release of the radio, and then add some features and corrections along the way as neccessary. It is in my opinion a better approach, and safer also I think.

/Bo
Totally agree, Bo.

And remember we have already crossed messages on the CORE thread, thinking as you on most comments there.

Best Regards
Apr 04, 2019, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
No stabilization, no power distribution, no ESC integration.
https://www.yge.de/en/home-2/
Apr 04, 2019, 11:36 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
Which is not ESC integration, just telemetry (and hardly the only source of Futaba compatible telemetry ESC's). YGE does provide full integration on some of their ESC's, but only supports Jeti, Graupner & Mikado VBC systems, not Futaba.

Jeti Mezon Pro's and Graupner +T ESC's can be fully programmed from the transmitter when connected via their receivers. FrSky Neuron ESC's have limited configurability from the TX.
Apr 04, 2019, 01:09 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
I am looking forward to the release of this radio. I have had the same 18MZ since it first launched end of 2011. Yes it was a 3000 dollar radio, but since I sold my 14MZ back then for 1000 I only really paid 2000 for it. It is going on to be a 8 year old transmitter. No issues, no glitches, no lost planes. Heck I just recently replaced the battery inside of the transmitter last month. Radio still today looks in great shape.
Apr 05, 2019, 06:45 AM
One point not commented up to now is this new transmitter seems to be thinner than current 18MZ.

You may notice the top rear switch is mounted on a small adition on the rear, thus making me think this radio thickness to be slim than previous 14MZ and 18MZ.

Best Regards
Apr 05, 2019, 09:07 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Hi,
It seems the trend among high end radios today is to have potless sticks, hall sensors (and one new radio manufacturer have hall sensor for everything that is manouverable by our hands/fingers - sticks, knobs, levers). Since potless it is available as option for Futaba 16SZ, 18SZ and 18MZ already today it seem logical to me that 32MZ has at least potless sticks as standard.

Another trend is to have dual independent 2.4 GHz signals so one have signal redundancy at least on TX side. It would at least for me be a negative surprise if 32MZ does not have signal redundancy (or dual frequency - 2.4 GHz and 900 MHz?). We will see.

And perhaps 32MZ has dual independant transmitter batteries and power supply? Maybe, maybe not.

There is a clear thrend towards more and more telemetry - one can wonder if the 32MZ is prepared for the ever increasing telemetry data that is sent as we may want more and more telemetry data from various telemetry sensors. To avoid bottlenecks for sending increasing amount of telemetry data I suppose any radio manufacturer has to prepare to avoid telemetry congestion in a new radio. It will be interesting to see if the 32MZ has been prepered in some way for this sceneario.

Can we hope for motion sensor inside the transmitter for stearing/commands that can be performed by tilting and yawing the transmitter? Note sure how much need it is for that but it is in some other high end radios already today and I can think of a few useful thing it can be used for. Perhaps also a built in GPS unit in transmitter?

Maybe the 32MZ will have wifi and bluetooth built in, and maybe both transmitter and future receivers can be updatable via wifi so no need to connect the device one want to upgrade software on to a computer? We will see.

It is kind of hard to imagine what really new things Futaba can come up with in the new 32MZ. The other top end radios has such owerwhelming features list already.
But some can always be done to make it easier to program a radio, perhaps 32MZ will have some enhancements in this area.

Personally I think it would have been better with a larger single top screen, but that is my personal opinion. I'm sure a dual screen like 32MZ has now can have some advantages also.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Apr 05, 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Apr 05, 2019, 09:59 AM
You forgot a stick moving feature coupled with a voice command
Top of the line stuff
The setup would allow you hold the tx, bark a command, the sticks would move as needed then you could follow thru by holding onto the sticks
A worthwhile idea?
You tell me
Apr 05, 2019, 10:29 AM
Team Futaba
I'm going to wait until I can see it and hold it before making decisions about how good or bad it is. I lack the photo interpretation skills of most here who can read reams into a couple of poorly lit photographs.
Apr 05, 2019, 10:48 AM
I can’t read anything in the pics but I have been looking aT various new equipmentcoming into the market
If a new tx , catering to those who prefer to spend whatever is required for the perceived best,
Why not get stuff which is really cutting edge?
Apr 05, 2019, 01:05 PM
Julian T
Cutting edge or bleeding edge? In my experience over 40 years in IT they are indistinguishable. Useful, or just there for the technophiles who want it because it exists (even if it is only in the minds of the marketers), not because it aids their flying of a model, which they seem to have forgotten is the point of the exercise. Give me a rock solid RF link and build quality that will see me over the next ten years and you can have all the bells and whistles - we will both be very happy. Oh, and I can still use my newest tx to control my oldest rx - with absolute reliability.
Apr 05, 2019, 01:16 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliant
Cutting edge or bleeding edge? In my experience over 40 years in IT they are indistinguishable. Useful, or just there for the technophiles who want it because it exists (even if it is only in the minds of the marketers), not because it aids their flying of a model, which they seem to have forgotten is the point of the exercise. Give me a rock solid RF link and build quality that will see me over the next ten years and you can have all the bells and whistles - we will both be very happy. Oh, and I can still use my newest tx to control my oldest rx - with absolute reliability.
Cutting edge, we're talking about capabilities that are 5+ years old on the marketplace which Futaba completely lacks. Futaba's barely trailing edge in terms of systems capability.

Bleeding edge is things like multi-bind (one TX on the market with support, receiver support not released yet). TX-based programming of in-aircraft systems started showing up with the Jeti & HoTT systems nearly 10 years ago, Futaba still lacks that (unless there's a bunch of changes & new hardware introduced with the T32MZ)

And Futaba's most recent release cannot control some older Futaba 2.4GHz receivers. All the T-FHSS compatible TX's lose FHSS compatibility (the oldest of the 3 FHSS protocols).
Apr 05, 2019, 01:32 PM
I get the “there is nothing else I would trust in my Many thousand dollar jet”., if I mention new equipment on the market.
The same fliers who asked my son how he dared use. A DX8 system in his contest pattern model.
I really think the old mind set plus follow the hero setup provides a feeling of security amongst some .
Same thing Exists, in buying cars
The most expensive must be the best

Quick Reply