Thread Tools
Apr 02, 2019, 04:59 AM
Registered User
tuootal's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

New Futaba transmitter coming... (Futaba T32MZ)


Came via @FutabaRC_JP-twitter.

Any info on this?

Tuomas
Last edited by tuootal; Apr 02, 2019 at 10:08 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2019, 05:37 AM
Registered User
atreis's Avatar
Interesting. Looks like it might have a secondary display in the middle above the sticks.
Apr 02, 2019, 08:27 AM
Registered User
Yes think your right with the second display It looks stunning tho
Apr 02, 2019, 09:14 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
Interesting. Looks like it might have a secondary display in the middle above the sticks.
I assume the upper screen is there for jets' telemetry reading.
Apr 02, 2019, 10:11 AM
Registered User
tuootal's Avatar
Thread OP

It is Futaba T32MZ


That looks like different picture. With the numbering I would assume that it would be positioned above T18MZ, but I do not see side sliders nor knobs in middle. Also back handle looks a bit like T7-grade. Interesting... Obviously I might and will be incorrect.

Edit : yes, I was incorrect. There is backslider. But cannot see throttle & elev. trim... Have to wait for better pics & specs.
Last edited by tuootal; Apr 02, 2019 at 10:16 AM.
Apr 02, 2019, 10:17 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Looks like somebody crossed an XP8103 with a T18MZ, but with a dedicated telemetry/timer display like the FrSky X9E

That's not a bad idea, the top LCD is better for timer/telemetry readout as it can be lifted into your field of view. Bottom LCD's are easier to design and can be larger, which is good for programming, but top LCD's are more usable in the field.
Apr 02, 2019, 10:35 AM
Registered User
tuootal's Avatar
Thread OP
Check'd german site, http://www.futaba-forum.net/showthread.php?11147-T32mz, it says (translated..) that it is T18MZ replacement and announcement is May 2019. Also some (brief) information in Ripmax de facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/RipmaxGmbH/...410795/?type=3

Tuomas
Apr 02, 2019, 12:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuootal
Check'd german site, http://www.futaba-forum.net/showthread.php?11147-T32mz, it says (translated..) that it is T18MZ replacement and announcement is May 2019. Also some (brief) information in Ripmax de facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/RipmaxGmbH/...410795/?type=3

Tuomas
I'm sure this will be about 3K if I know Futaba. I learned my lesson with the 18MZ.
Apr 02, 2019, 01:24 PM
Registered User
RCAddiction's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargor
I'm sure this will be about 3K if I know Futaba. I learned my lesson with the 18MZ.
When the 14MZ launched in late 2004, it was $2199 in the US. I bought one. I still have the special Futaba shirt they sent me with my name embroidered on it for becoming a member of the 14MZ club. It was, if I recall correctly, more than $2500 in Japan. Given that was 14.5 years ago, $2999 would not be surprising today.

What is different today is that there are a lot of cost competitive, powerful radios on the market that did not really exist in 2004. Futaba had to mostly just worry about JR back then.
Last edited by RCAddiction; Apr 02, 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Apr 02, 2019, 01:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
}

What is different today is that there are a lot of cost competitive, powerful radios on the market that did not really exist in 2004. Futaba had to mostly just worry about JR back then.
I'm unconvinced that Futaba's management has entirely realized that they no longer are competing with JR or JR/Spektrum.

There are design level issues with their core system (particularly the obtuse & inflexible telemetry protocol) that really limit their ability to compete with their real competition (Jeti, FrSky, Spektrum & Graupner) in terms of system flexibility & integration. And in addition the costing on their receivers is nuts (FASSTest stuff runs around double the cost of comparable Jeti, Spektrum or Graupner receivers and triple to quadruple the cost of FrSky).

Futaba is a mid/high range brand, not a niche premium brand like Jeti (and where the PowerBox Core is likely to fit once it gets out of the paid beta state it's in now).

Unless Futaba is launching a completely new receiver system with Jeti-level integration, it simply is not able to command pricing above Jeti, even for its flagship system. Today Futaba delivers premium-grade build & RF stability, but functionality lags the competition by a generation (particularly Telemetry and related in-plane integrations).

The future is cross-system integration. That's where all the leading systems are headed, where you can see & control all in-aircraft electronics directly from your transmitter, and know exactly what the aircraft is doing and build capable alerts & responses around data received from the aircraft.

All of the competing systems offer some level of in-plane programability (Jeti & Graupner lead here, FrSky & Spektrum have started down the path but not caught up), FC/VTX integration (Spektrum & FrSky lead here, Graupner & Jeti need to catch up) and all but Graupner offer in-aircraft multi-receiver solutions with dual-power capability and at least limited configurability (PowerSafe RX's, CB's, RB's, et al).

Futaba needs to take a look at what the future looks like. Delivering an amazing radio with no in-aircraft integrations will leave them stuck in 2013 regardless of how good the radio itself is. The future is about integration, not amazing standalone units.
Apr 02, 2019, 03:15 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Looks cool to me!!
Apr 02, 2019, 05:35 PM
Registered User
Fentonflyers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
I'm unconvinced that Futaba's management has entirely realized that they no longer are competing with JR or JR/Spektrum.

There are design level issues with their core system (particularly the obtuse & inflexible telemetry protocol) that really limit their ability to compete with their real competition (Jeti, FrSky, Spektrum & Graupner) in terms of system flexibility & integration. And in addition the costing on their receivers is nuts (FASSTest stuff runs around double the cost of comparable Jeti, Spektrum or Graupner receivers and triple to quadruple the cost of FrSky).

Futaba is a mid/high range brand, not a niche premium brand like Jeti (and where the PowerBox Core is likely to fit once it gets out of the paid beta state it's in now).

Unless Futaba is launching a completely new receiver system with Jeti-level integration, it simply is not able to command pricing above Jeti, even for its flagship system. Today Futaba delivers premium-grade build & RF stability, but functionality lags the competition by a generation (particularly Telemetry and related in-plane integrations).

The future is cross-system integration. That's where all the leading systems are headed, where you can see & control all in-aircraft electronics directly from your transmitter, and know exactly what the aircraft is doing and build capable alerts & responses around data received from the aircraft.

All of the competing systems offer some level of in-plane programability (Jeti & Graupner lead here, FrSky & Spektrum have started down the path but not caught up), FC/VTX integration (Spektrum & FrSky lead here, Graupner & Jeti need to catch up) and all but Graupner offer in-aircraft multi-receiver solutions with dual-power capability and at least limited configurability (PowerSafe RX's, CB's, RB's, et al).

Futaba needs to take a look at what the future looks like. Delivering an amazing radio with no in-aircraft integrations will leave them stuck in 2013 regardless of how good the radio itself is. The future is about integration, not amazing standalone units.
Very well said. They have pretty much become what your grandpa drives...
Apr 02, 2019, 06:08 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
I love how people who have seen nothing more than a shadowy image can draw so many conclusions about a product they know absolutely nothing about. But I guess it is to be expected.
Apr 02, 2019, 06:32 PM
Registered User
Zeeb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I love how people who have seen nothing more than a shadowy image can draw so many conclusions about a product they know absolutely nothing about. But I guess it is to be expected.
Well a number of us have played the Futaba game on and off for a number of years. Past experience says that it'll be designed by engineers who do not even know how to fly RC. They, being Japanese and all, have a thing about not letting anyone suggest anything, they'll lose face if they listen. JR's demise is a classic example of that mentality.

Model RC products are such a small part of their business, I doubt there are too many concerns about what the public thinks as evidence by their stubborn refusal to fix some of the most minor issues with their radios. They won't release code for 3rd party providers to develop accessory products and last, they are so far behind the ball game in pretty much every area of RC development and capabilities, they'll never catch up.

I've got a DX20 which Spektrum has now discontinued, I've got an 18MZ which has been discontinued, I've got an 18MZ WC which this new radio will replace and I have an 18SZ, who knows what will happen to that?

I'm old enough that there shouldn't be any reason for me to buy another new tx but I'll tell you this; if I do buy another one it won't be a Jeti, it'll be a PowerBox CORE.
Apr 02, 2019, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I love how people who have seen nothing more than a shadowy image can draw so many conclusions about a product they know absolutely nothing about. But I guess it is to be expected.
The only question is if you do NOT want to understand or you simply do NOT understand?
You know well in 2019 its NOT single product, but SYSTEM that makes it all possible.

In order for Futaba to be competitive they need to come up with NEW protocol. And that means NEW receivers, sensors, stabilization, power distribution....
Is that going to happen? I guess time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The future is cross-system integration. That's where all the leading systems are headed, where you can see & control all in-aircraft electronics directly from your transmitter, and know exactly what the aircraft is doing and build capable alerts & responses around data received from the aircraft.

Futaba needs to take a look at what the future looks like. Delivering an amazing radio with no in-aircraft integrations will leave them stuck in 2013 regardless of how good the radio itself is. The future is about integration, not amazing standalone units.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Looking for a new Transmitter (Futaba?)Need a recommendation on a DO all transmitter. cswann821 Radios 30 Apr 19, 2019 04:34 PM
New Product It's Coming! New FPV HD 1080P wireless DVR transmitter Camera SKY-HD01 skysighthobby FPV Talk 8 Nov 15, 2016 11:56 AM
New Product It's Coming! New FPV HD 1080P wireless DVR transmitter Camera SKY-HD01 skysighthobby FPV Racing 38 Jun 21, 2016 09:10 AM
New Product It's Coming! New FPV HD 1080P wireless DVR transmitter Camera SKY-HD01 skysighthobby FPV Aircraft 6 Sep 01, 2015 08:17 PM