Apr 01, 2019, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
New Product

AJ Aircraft 51" AJ Slick 540

I have not been able to find a thread that is dedicated to this particular aircraft. I took the plunge today and want to have a good place for information and discussion. If I have missed something already in play please point it out.

From the web site:

The 411:
Wing Span - 51"
Length - 51"
Height - 14"
Wing Area - 540 sq.in.
AUW (dry) - 4-4.5lb
Electric Power - 850-1250 watt motor, 60 Amp ESC, 4S/5S/6S LiPo
Radio - 5 channel with 4 high torque mini servos

Recommended CG Range and Control Throws
The center of gravity (CG) range for the 51" AJ Slick 540 is located 1/2" in front of the wing tube. (+/- 1/2")
Aileron Control Throws
Low Rates - 15 deg. (30% Exp)
Mid Rates - 30 deg. (40% Exp)
High Rates - 45 deg. (50% Exp)
Elevator Control Throws
Low Rates - 20 deg. (30% Exp)
High Rates - 45 deg. (50% Exp)
Rudder Control Throws
Low Rates - 15 deg. (30% Exp)
High Rates - Max Throw (50% Exp)
What's in the box:
NEW - Carbon-Kevlar plywood construction!
NEW - Carbon-Kevlar reinforced landing gear mount!
NEW - Carbon-Kevlar reinforced firewall!
Carbon fiber main gear
Carbon fiber tail gear
Carbon fiber wing tube
Pre-hinged control surfaces
G10 fiberglass control horns
Ultralight foam wheels
Heavy duty steel axles
Quick install, pre-drilled wheel pants
Pre-run rudder pull-pull wires (pushrod also included for push-pull option)
High quality ball links & pushrods for all control surfaces
Extra hardware bag for spares
Velcro for battery restraint
Optional SFGs included
All airframe components covered in genuine Ultracote (White HANU870, True Red HANU866, Midnight Blue HANU885, Cub Yellow HANU884)
NOTE: This product is shipped in a single box measuring 44"L x 16"W x 8"H (10 lbs. total).

AJ flies this airframe with the following equipment:
Power by AJ Aircraft
AJ3910-24P/770KV
AJ3910-24P/660KV
AJ3910-24P/550KV
Castle Talon 60 ESC
Falcon 14x7, 15x6
(4) x MKS HV69 servos
Thunder Power 6s 1800 mAH Rampage 70C Lipo
Also needed to complete:
(2) x 6" aileron extensions
(1) x 12" ESC extension
(1) x 18" elevator extensions
2" or 50mm vented spinner

http://www.aj-aircraft.com/51-AJ-Slick-540_p_542.html
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2019, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for photos
Apr 01, 2019, 06:09 PM
Fully Sending It
This is shaping up to be an awesome small sized grab n go airplane. They have a 4S motor they are working on, that will likely be my motor of choice. Also, the new Hitec D89MW is going to be SWEET in this airplane.
Apr 01, 2019, 07:13 PM
It’s interesting that AJ is flying it on 6s.
Apr 01, 2019, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshriver
Itís interesting that AJ is flying it on 6s.
That's the motor I ordered. Less amps is more gooder I suppose. I spoke with Tim today and asked him if my 2200 6s packs would work. He suggested I use some 1800 3s packs that I have in series. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. I did forget to ask which prop. Honestly though if the 4s motor would have been available I would have gone with that since I have so many of those packs.
Apr 04, 2019, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Plane has arrived. Looks nice. I'll get some pics posted.
Apr 05, 2019, 02:12 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Plane has arrived. Looks nice. I'll get some pics posted.
Congrats! Get pics .
Apr 05, 2019, 06:00 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
I have not been able to find a thread that is dedicated to this particular aircraft.
Some info here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...raft-Slick-540

For some reason AJ Aircraft donít generate much excitement on RCG. Not sure why with AJís past involvement with 3DHS and current selection of amazing airframes.
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Apr 08, 2019, 09:02 PM
Mine has arrived, so I set it next to my original 51" AJ Slick. I see some minor differences between the basics but a huge improvement in the structure. What I call "the basics" are the wing area, tail area, moment arms, etc. For example the horizontal tail and elevator have been changed from the original to a larger elevator and slightly smaller horizontal tail. Better tumbling I'm sure. There are other similar changes which appear for the better too.

The structure of course has a lot of composite reinforcement and the landing gear area is very much improved. I expect it to be stronger than the original and lighter too.

All in all this is indeed worthy of being a 10 year Anniversary celebration plane. Thanks Andrew and Team!!!

Ken
Apr 09, 2019, 06:53 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenelder
Mine has arrived, so I set it next to my original 51" AJ Slick. I see some minor differences between the basics but a huge improvement in the structure. What I call "the basics" are the wing area, tail area, moment arms, etc. For example the horizontal tail and elevator have been changed from the original to a larger elevator and slightly smaller horizontal tail. Better tumbling I'm sure. There are other similar changes which appear for the better too.

The structure of course has a lot of composite reinforcement and the landing gear area is very much improved. I expect it to be stronger than the original and lighter too.

All in all this is indeed worthy of being a 10 year Anniversary celebration plane. Thanks Andrew and Team!!!

Ken
Get some pictures,
please.
Apr 20, 2019, 10:11 AM
Shore Huckin'
Just a few notes from the build:

1) CG: Cannot achieve specified CG unless mounting my 3300mah 4S (with an additional 2 ounce weight) against the motor mount plate thus battery access is blocked by cowl. To resolve this required mounting battery to a removable plate that fit into a fabricated slot behind the motor mounting plate. The battery mounting plate extended back into the open area (underneath canopy) so removable plate can be attached for flight and removed (with battery) for charging.

NOTE: AJ's specified 6s battery was actually .6oz lighter than my 3300mah 4s and my 175g motor is heavier than AJ's 145g motor so if you're thinking of using the 6S set up then you will have the battery against the motor mount plate and will need to custom make a battery mounting plate like I did and still might now meet the recommended CG that is 1/2 inch in front of the wing tube.

Not really pleased with the CG issue on the Slick. Also, I used the pull-pull rudder set up so I DO NOT recommend mounting the rudder servo back by the rudder as you will never achieve CG unless using a very heavy battery.

2) Elevator - (2-piece construction): slot gouged and very loose. Needed to fill and carefully glue so elevator halves were inline

3) Pre-hinged control surfaces: actually just one side of hinge glued in (control surface not glued in). Note: one elevator half did not even have the hinge material glued in at all.

Have not maidened the Slick yet but will report how that goes. The plane sure is pretty and my expectation is that it will fly excellent but I'm not thrilled with the spotty quality of parts and the cg issue.

The packaging was outstanding. The shipping box was well protected with particle board so don't worry about any shipping damage. :-)
Last edited by KE Spin; Apr 20, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Apr 20, 2019, 10:15 AM
Shore Huckin'
Maiden Flight Report:

Set up
1) Battery: 3300 mah 4S lipo
2) Motor: Power 25 equivalent
3) ESC: 65amp ZTW Mantis
4) Servos: Blue Bird 380 MAX (worked quite well at 6V)
5) Weight: 4.1 pounds (including 2oz dead weight for cg - will remove 2oz weight and use 3700mah batteries.)
6) Vox 13x5 wooden electric prop

I had the CG about 1/4" in front of the wing tube and the plane flew amazingly well!

This plane is an excellent "tumbler" and does fantastic crank shafts, snaps and pop-tops! Spins and rolls are great (very axial). Knife edge spin is easy to enter and very tight. Great flat spins both upright and inverted. Hovers, funnel hovers (both upright and inverted) are all easy to execute and very controllable. Harriers are very stable and clean both upright and inverted.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about how the Anniversary 51" Slick flies with the plane set up "neutral" or just slightly ahead of Neutral!!!!!!!!!

I did fly one battery with the cg towards tail heavy...…..I don't recommend this. Unbelievable tumbles but a little unstable in other regimes. Just keep it neutral or a little ahead and this is the plane of your 3D dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: In pic below (at the bench) you can see battery mounting plate (lower left in pic) that I made to get the battery all the way forward to insert tip end into a slot that I fabricated at the near side of the motor mounting plate to establish recommended cg.

AJ Aircraft: Thanks for a fabulous plane that I rank among the best that I have ever flown. Certainly a worthy successor to the original 51" Slick.
Last edited by KE Spin; Apr 23, 2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: adding pics
Apr 24, 2019, 11:17 PM
I'm really excited for this one. Especially with 6s motor
Last edited by zachary d; Apr 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM.
May 06, 2019, 09:49 PM
As far as the lack of excitement generated, I have to wonder if AJ Aircraft even knows this thread exists. It was difficult for me to find, it took my 3rd choice (but by far the most popular) search engine to even find it. When searching they tend to bring up the original 51" Slick for the majority of the results.

I think a big part of the problem is that AJs team pilots don't seem to be very active at all on RCGroups as far as I can tell, while another major manufacturer has one team pilot in particular who is extremely active and I'm sure helps sell a lot of airframes for them, while generating a lot of excitement. My (sorry, unsolicited ) advice to team AJ, ensure your team pilots are active here on RCG, posting video, answering questions, providing info, etc. I think sales are probably pretty good for most of the AJ Aircraft lineup but they probably could be improved this way. Just my 2 cents.
May 06, 2019, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary d
I'm really excited for this one. Especially with 6s motor

I'm excited for this one too! I've already thought out what my whole set up would be, 4S 3300mah lipos, more than likely a Motrolfly 3615 - 750kv swinging a 14x7 beechwood prop, 60-75amp CC ESC, and some of those ProModeler (micro) servos I keep hearing/reading about.

Quick Reply