May 15, 2019, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
thanks for that...yes we are at least in the same Island..We get to nelson but not often..But do spend time at other flyins around the Island.

Hopped onto your name and yes I have had a look at some of your builds. Good stuff there.

Will put up some videos when ready

BUT no blog.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2019, 01:05 AM
thanks for the kick in the pants I needed to get started on the ivnvader, only had the plan for about 12 years Ian Gull laser cutting produced the vrey accurate formers and ribs
elevators and kick out rudders to cntrol it
apologies for the poor picture quality not good lighting and a pretty old kindle fire to photograph with
May 15, 2019, 01:33 AM
Thread OP
That looks pretty good .Don’t know about you but I have had a lot of satisfaction just building my stick and covering model. Will defiantly be building another. Seemed to be a good stress remover.
May 15, 2019, 04:32 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Always love an Invader..........!
May 19, 2019, 03:51 AM
Thread OP
Mounting the r/c gear in .Cabin area all full and a wee bit tail heavy at the moment . Could need a bit of ballast later which I was hoping not to do. Finish covering and make canopy and will see.
May 19, 2019, 06:32 AM
Slow builder
Looks great.

Al
May 19, 2019, 09:46 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Looking great !

Best regards,

jeff
May 19, 2019, 02:27 PM
Now got the Invader almost finished and ready to cover, just an elevator control wire , and the rudder cables to connect ....disappointingly, very tail heavy regardless of how light I tried to keep the tail feathers, so probably a larger than 100mah battery in the nose
hopefully shouldn't cause too many problems as it is going off the slope not the towline
May 25, 2019, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
All covered and complete 113gms. Was hoping around 120 so very close Need to make a mold for the canopy as nothing I have will fit . Not a biggy . They donít take much work. Might even test fly less the lid.
May 25, 2019, 10:12 PM
Very pretty indeed.
May 26, 2019, 03:51 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
A lovely-looking 'plane, well done. A video of the First Flights on the cards..?
May 27, 2019, 12:10 AM
Thread OP
thank you........you never know your luck could just manage that
Jun 21, 2019, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
IT FLYS no wind at home so walked around to the park ,and quite a breeze blowing ,but gave it two throws.

.Yes 120gms takes a lot to penetrate the wind.

Might need a tad shift forward for the cog.

sorry no pics as wife to slow and flights to short
Jun 23, 2019, 05:13 AM
looking up, down under
late to this party having just happened upon the plans for the frog junior after checking out a das not ugly link from the "show off your naked wood" thread

i am looking a little bit keen to build the junior, but had in mind utilising some micro gear so it could be true scale, although a 30" version seems more sensible - auw under 100gms is probably achievable

for any of you with a taranis, there is a huge opportunity for this stuff courtesy of the mutimodule it can take that opens up use of cheap all-in-one receiver / servo bricks
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...88&postcount=1

the current version in the f949, and it weighs 5.5 gm including the two servos inbuilt, and has a connector for molex 2p for the lipo battery

this is a standard 1s battery in a number of micro-drones, and the batteries are easy to source in a variety of capacities, but 150 mah would be perfect for small gliders, weighing in at 5.3 grams

so, the addition of radio would set you back 10.8 gms total (sans control rods)

the next step is obviously rubber conversions, as the brick also provides a 1s brushed esc built in

if you want to go even smaller, there's a tiny dsmx receiver that i reviewed here :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...c#post36260798

weighs in at 2.4gm, but the servos that are essentially the same as the f949 has built in are 1.9gm apiece, so the all up weight is more for 2 channels

anyway, sorry if this isn't useful, but as an old school stick and tissue fan, having started with an aeroflyte nimbus in the early 1970's, i can see the nostalgia factor with ability to stay within a small field is very attractive

i'm keen to see other people's builds or reminiscences

Last edited by scruffy1; Jun 23, 2019 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply