This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 31, 2019, 07:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

R/C Diary Pt. 42, Micro Sinbad!

If you follow the posts on RCGroups, you may have come across an interesting fellow by the name of Red Jensen. Red formed a small business on the side, designing and producing limited number of balsa models, mostly micro models of old time classic sailplanes. Red works full-time for NASA developing remotely controlled models. Can you imagine having to play with models all day and getting paid for it!! Hey….it’s a tough life but somebody’s got to do it!

So far I have purchased and built, a micro Wanderer with 30” wingspan and more recently, a 34” wingspan, micro Sinbad both planes coming in around 2 ozs or 56 gms. Red spends a lot of time reducing the number of parts and simplifying the build. His kits remind me of a modern, more simplified version of the old classic, Gulliows Balsa kits.

Red’s company is called Alien_Tech and already I hear he is working on another classic slope soarer. I feel fortunate that we have talented people in our hobby like Red who have the know how and the means to bring back modern versions of the old classic balsa planes. Good times indeed!

Check him out when you get a chance….but beware….his enthusiasm is contagious! : )

I will admit, I'm not the best builder, especially when it comes to these micro builds where my big thumbs tend to get a little too aggressive then crack! Dang! Another broken piece of balsa. However, I'm finding the more I build, the better I am getting and I'm making a lot fewer mistakes....all good! I've posted my progress so far on the Micro Sinbad and will do a follow up post after I finish and maiden the wee beast. As it stands now, it weighs in around 41 gms. I will be covering with ParkLIte so my auw should be right on target. There is a certain satisfaction taking a box of balsa and turning it into a flying machine! When I am sitting working on my models in the dinning room and every once in a while I screw up, my face turns red and the air turns blue....my wife says "I don't know why you spend so much time building these models...it doesn't look like much fun!" Geez eh? She just doesn't get it! Life/building is supposed to be challenging, that is what makes it all so rewarding when everything works out! With a little bit of luck I will have this little puppy ready to fly by the time the flying season finally arrives.

Cheers!

Lyle Jeakins,
43 Degrees North Latitude
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply