This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 29, 2019, 10:36 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Fixing loose hinges

This applies to Turbo Timber and any other design that uses foam or some other type of material for flight control hinges.

A hinge that gets loose on any flight control surface will cause erratic control in flight. If the hinge fails and the flight control departs the model then a crash is most likely especially if it is the elevator.

My Turbo Timber showed failure of the plastic elevator hinge. It was easy to see when I removed the stab/elevator for maintenance. The elevator was easy to move up and down as viewed on its edge. Many use the same center mounted nylon hinge with or without a metal hinge pin to fix a loose hinge but there is a better method that originated back in the 40s and 50s and is a variant of the thread and needle used way back then. Its called Tyvek paper hinges.

I use the Tyvek paper that is used on mailing envelopes. I lightly sand both sides with 220-320 grit sanding paper and cut to size. Using regular (not foam safe) CA I glue the hinges to the top and bottom of the elevator and stab. I use Monocote plastic backing to push the paper and glue on to the sanded foam and this prevents the CA from sticking to my fingers. You can paint the white paper or protect it with tape.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2019, 01:00 AM
If you use solarfilm for the hinges, required temperature will be low enough to prevent foam damage (I did use solarfilm for years to directly cover normal foam wings).
Apr 07, 2019, 02:11 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. Will give it a try. Ive used double sided tape but its tedious.

Quick Reply