Apr 01, 2019, 01:34 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Glad to see you go small for a change!!

This month I'll be covering the 1/3rd DVIII. Lol

I have a Silhouette cutter that's pretty precise, but I don't know what the "polyester" material is that you want to use. I can cut most materials, or make vinyl masks "and such" if you'd like to try them.

Gene K
The Airspan is a polyester fiber tissue rather than a paper fiber tissue. I was wondering if the laser would melt the edges rather than cut them cleanly.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2019, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Good progress.
Flyline were good kits .. even their wood was selected for purpose of the part Miss them
Yes, a different level of wood quality as compared to the Guillows and Comet kits I'd built as a youngster.
Apr 01, 2019, 08:26 PM
Even though every part had to be cut, I so appreciated the fact they weren't die crushed.
Apr 01, 2019, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57
Even though every part had to be cut, I so appreciated the fact they weren't die crushed.
Few things as disappointing when kit building to have bad wood and crushed parts. Those old kits took forever to build. Lol
Apr 01, 2019, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
Wings covered and assembled. Tail parts covered and hinged. I used a very small diameter carbon rod to stiffen the elevator halves but then as soon as I glued it I realized that it would interfere with the hinges I wanted to use. Rather than remove it and risk breaking the leading edge of the elevator I did a work around.

Used a #69 pin drill bit and about an inch of copper wire for each hinge point. Not happy with the hinge gap but it works really well. I may open the bottom tissue and pull the wires deeper into the holes, reglue and patch. It won't be that noticeable, the hinge gap will.
Apr 04, 2019, 07:48 AM
Beautiful build.
Apr 16, 2019, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptilou
Beautiful build.
Thank you!

I received the black polyester tissue for the fuselage last week. I'll clear the bench (putting a motor on a Balsa USA 1/6th Nieuport 17 at the moment) and install the receiver board and mock up the pushrod runs then cover the fuse tonight. Pics to follow...
Sep 15, 2019, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
I'm eager to get back to this after attending the micro events at the NEAT Fair over the last few days.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:00 PM
Flyline kits were a few steps above the Sterling and Guillows kits some of us first encountered, The quality of the artwork and the print wood which were a far cry above the die-crushed wood of the aforementioned kits, since we had to cut out the die crushed parts anyway.

Still , I kind of cringe at the prospect of doing the Flyline kits in my stash, being spoiled by the laser cut kits available these days.
Sep 16, 2019, 11:19 AM
Golden age high wing designs don't usually have many parts except wing ribs and a few fuselage formers. Identical wing ribs can be rough cut , pinned together and "gang-sanded"
You do need to keep fuselage frame straight/square during assembly to avoid the "banana"
effect. I like to use basswood sticks for rear fuselage longerons and stringers subject to crushing from handling.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Golden age high wing designs don't usually have many parts except wing ribs and a few fuselage formers. Identical wing ribs can be rough cut , pinned together and "gang-sanded"
You do need to keep fuselage frame straight/square during assembly to avoid the "banana"
effect. I like to use basswood sticks for rear fuselage longerons and stringers subject to crushing from handling.
That's exactly how I equalized the wing ribs and lined up the spar slots. Easy-peasy.

The cut parts count is really low. I think it was something like 25-30 parts, half of them wing ribs which only need to be rough cut as you mention. What I liked most was the decent quality of the Flyline wood. The balsa is really very good.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57
Still , I kind of cringe at the prospect of doing the Flyline kits in my stash, being spoiled by the laser cut kits available these days.
You 'could' sell them on ? Which ones do you have ?
Sep 17, 2019, 12:56 PM
Well, I may cringe at the prospect of cutting out the parts, but I know I can settle into it. I've the Fairchild 22, Farman Moustique, Velie Monocoupe, Stearman C 3B and The Spirit of St.Louis. I may sell the SoSL since I had the plans enlarged and I have a nice flying model.

Phil
Sep 18, 2019, 10:22 AM
Just buy a 100 pack of fake X-Acto blades and pretend that you are a laser cutting machine. At least you won't have scorched edges. Try not to drop your knife into your lap or slice off some finger tip. Lay off the sauce while doing hazardous model work. I like to use the large X-Acto handle with chisel blade and small hammer for repair work also the large carving blade for balsa block and foam. Couldn't do without my Dremel with Jacobs chuck, tiny drill bits and sanding drums. The newish Dremel hand and bench jigsaw ,or any small jigsaw, often comes in handy. A 100watt soldering iron and proper flux is good for joining wire landing gear parts. Oh the joys of model building !!

Quick Reply