Thread Tools
May 29, 2019, 05:06 PM
Registered User
acesimmer's Avatar
Thread OP
Did the maiden yesterday. Got tired of waiting for the weather to improve. So off to the field which is an actual runway at the local airport. We had winds variable between 9 -15 kts However, straight down the runway. So threw the bats in switched the radio and connected the battery. All systems go and tested. Donuts in the down mode and off she shot. Nice straight run out then ease the pitch at about 70% power. She leaped into the air then dived when back stick released. Ended up full up trim and hold back stick for the whole flight. Other than that all was flying straight and true. Landing was a little bit dodgy with the winds, trim and the model wanting to dive. But all was well...

Second flight... Adjusted elevator clevis then reset trim to zero. Also removed an ounce of nose weight. Much better and predictable flight. Still wanted to drop the nose a wee bit but trim sorted that out. I flew a complete aerobatic pattern routine with all the moves and bum wiggles. I was nicely surprised at how stable the model is. No real wind effect even though very gusty. Tracked the up line true and straight. Stall turns have no wiggle and large 300 ft loops are true in all dimensions. Tried to stall her but she would not break away in those winds. Easy landing with predictable glide.

Third flight ... Another ounce out of the nose with sub trim on the elevator. Perfect no fuss take off. Inverted flight required virtually no down force so balance is pretty close. Throttle transitions at various speeds tested and A okay. Flat spins are near perfect pull outs with neutral controls. Perfect landing.

Conclusion... After all testing we still had some up elevator trimmed in. I'm thinking the H-Stab angle is to neutral and needs around negative one degree on the LE. Before making that change I'm going to continue to remove more nose weight until she becomes somewhat unstable and tail heavy. Once the sweet spot is found I'll make the decision on what is required to get neutral elevator and trim.

For a rapid composite no frills build, I'm very happy with the results. So I'll keep flying and tweaking V1 prototype for a couple of weeks and also get the canopy made along with the cowl and pop a spinner on the nose and paint job..... Will be back!!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2019, 05:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Congrats Jim!! Glad to see you got some successful flights on it!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jun 05, 2019, 07:43 PM
Registered User
acesimmer's Avatar
Thread OP
Getting more done on the Saratoga between finishing up my A6 Intruder. This week finished the canopy plug ready to make the mold. I got talked into doing the sleek look. So very simple and elegant.
Jun 05, 2019, 09:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Looks good Jim!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jun 09, 2019, 02:38 PM
Registered User
acesimmer's Avatar
Thread OP
The Saratoga id finally finished. I pulled a cowl from another aircraft that I had made and it fits fine. Made the canopy mold and laid up a canopy that was fitted and test flown today. With these additions I was able to remove another couple of ounces of nose weight. Got three more flights and have everything dialed in. She flies really good and is very predictable even in funky winds that we had this morning. So next step is to build another two for my friends with the horizontal stab change.
Jun 09, 2019, 04:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Looks good Ace!! Great Planes 'Electrostick' landing gear?

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jul 08, 2019, 05:04 PM
Registered User
acesimmer's Avatar
Thread OP
Final update...... After 20 plus flights with a few minor tweaks in between. I now have a wonderful performing sport/aerobatic aircraft. The one shown in the pics is the final version and now have three made. This model flies slow and easy for beginners or add the power and she is fully aerobatic. Rock steady in all weather conditions.

How its made..

Fuse is fully composite epoxy glass. Tail feathers are 1/4" laser cut balsa covered with Elmers glue and super lite brown masking paper. Wings are cut on a gravity feed bow system from HD pink 2" foam blocks. They are then joined with a laminated 2 layer 1/8" ply spar joiner and 6oz epoxy and cloth wrapped around the center crutch. Wings are sheeted in heavier brown wrapping paper. Finish is a mix of polycrylic and talc then sanded smooth. Motor is Turnigy SK3 740 KV on 4S 50C pack. This model goes vertical and will hover all day.

We decided to call it the Dragon and hence the dragon painted on this model. The wing is super strong yet light weight. We have tried to break it during aggressive maneuvers with no luck. Total weight is 6.5 lbs.

Enjoy
Jul 08, 2019, 05:39 PM
Registered User
Nicely done Jim!
Jul 08, 2019, 06:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Very nice Jim..

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion PROGLIDE - Home Built Composite F5J 3.8m Glider - UPDATED ThermalBoy Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 32 Dec 31, 2018 08:28 AM
Build Log Scratch built composite 84" P-47 with TorqPro 70 4-stroke P4Patti Fuel Warbirds 43 Nov 06, 2016 10:39 AM
Discussion re-making wing for a built up wing (gorilla bob) slo-stick danielphantom Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 11 Mar 13, 2016 06:43 AM
Help! Searching for Pitts Special, stick built, Park Flyer, Electric RC kit. Dafe Parkflyers 2 Dec 27, 2015 11:45 PM