Apr 04, 2019, 04:05 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Still looking very good Jim!!

I believe you said you use Fusion 360, and if so, you are doing very well with it (I.E. your cowl design), I am slowly learning it, but it certainly has ist's 'foibles'. I am finding that is you don't do things in a certain order, it just plain will not let you do it later.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2019, 08:38 AM
Thread OP
Steve... Yes, Fusion is a little tough to learn. But once you do it is incredible.

I am currently doing the plug cleanup. This is getting the tail feathers setup in the plug for cutouts so when the part is out of the mold it is easy to cutout the slots for the tail parts to slip into and be glued or bolted in place. The stabs will interlock inside the fuse forming a ridgid structure. Takes a little time due to precision needed. Also added a thin strip guideline down the center of the wing crutch. This raises the middle slightly to allow application of filler to get a positive draft angle.

Wings are cutout, skinned with wires installed. I have to make a hole drilling jig so I can drill out for the tube spar. This will be done using the laser and Fusion. This is the first model that I have created in 3-D. What is good about that is I can use the precise measurements of the 3-D model to adjust or create parts very easily with total accuracy. Like the tube cut out jig will take around twenty minutes to design and cut and it will be exact.
Apr 06, 2019, 01:03 PM
Looking good Jim!!

I am a bit surprised you didn't install the wing tube before sheeting though. I have done a few using a soldering gun with a 'U' shaped wire to cut the foam, then put the tube in and fill back in with foam.

SteveT.
Apr 06, 2019, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
You are correct on the tube. I was going to do a one piece wing then my mates and I decided to go two piece after they had been sheeted. The fuse is back in primer after some cleanup earlier. Almost at the final finish stage. I need a couple of days break....
Apr 06, 2019, 01:56 PM
Good reason..

SteveT.
Apr 07, 2019, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
Another change to the wing. We decided to go with out board larger ailerons instead for strip smaller ones. That meant relocating the servo and wires. No biggie a bit of surgery and done. So had to add inboard extensions to the trailing edge of the wing. I will also have no dihedral in this version and will be adding side force generators to the tips.

At the final stage of adding scratch putty to the fuselage getting ready to wet sand and finish.
Apr 07, 2019, 07:36 PM
Looking great Jim!!

SteveT.
Apr 22, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
A quick update... Had to do some house fixes but still got a bit done. Fuse molds are done. Next is to make a fuse which I hope to have by end of week. All for now
Apr 27, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
We have the first composite Saratoga fuselage out of the mold and perfect. Weight is 9.89 oz. Battery hatch is currently being 3-D printed then if good a mold will be made. Moving along....
Apr 27, 2019, 01:41 PM
Looking great Jim!!

SteveT.
May 14, 2019, 05:11 AM
Bret Martin
That is a lot of work. Great job. Do you have one finished yet?
May 14, 2019, 06:50 AM
Thread OP
Yes, we have the flying prototype all done except for mounting the tail surfaces of which we are awaiting a shipment of balsa this week.
May 14, 2019, 02:04 PM
Hi Jim..

Just as a matter of mentioning, I found a good source for melamine glue based aircraft plywood that is designed to be laser cuttable, and Jerome (the guy that always answers the phone, but seems to be the owner of the company), sent me a couple of samples. and it cuts very well. He has it in all the usual sizes from 1/16" inch up. The 4X8' 1/16" and 1/8" size are $105.00 per sheet and he will cut it to 2'X4' pieces to facilitate shipping. The place is AircraftPlywood.com, and if you call him, he will send you a sample of them if you like.

SteveT.
May 21, 2019, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
Steve, thanks for the info.

Okay folks... between doing some repairs on my home and one of my vehicles the Saratoga prototype is finished and ready for flight testing. Unfortunately the weather sucks for the next few days with overcast, rain and high winds.

I had intended for this to be a two week project from design to completion. But like usual, other stuff gets in the way. So I believe it is around a six week project. This is where we are at.... Total ready to fly weight with heavy duty Turnigy 4000 battery is 5 lbs 11 oz which is a huge and welcome surprise. Seeing the fuselage is all composite and the wings are foam core with sheeted balsa surfaces covered in 3/4 oz cloth and polycrylic and baby powder @ 2 coats. Motor is Turnigy SK3 740 kv. Electronics is Hitec 7 chnl RX with custom built dual redundant battery backup being fed by the 80 amp ESC and a secondary BEC. Servos are the Solar servos coreless MG's with two in rear fuselage for elevator and rudder. 2 for ailerons.

The CG came out perfect with no battery movement or any weight required. In the photo you will see the aircraft with a cowl from another design of mine along with a rough test fit of a T34 canopy from an old crash victim. I will be modding the canopy and cowl then making molds for the final model. After the test flights I will also be adding side force generators to the wing tips for improved knife edge flight.

A few test build mods have been included with this build. One is the tail and control section is laser cut 1/4" balsa sheets covered with light weight brown craft paper and elmers glue. We also built a test wing with the pink foam covered in heavy brown packing paper and elmers glue. This wing proved to be super strong and we had a hard time trying to break it. So that will be in the future test flights.

So thats all for now until the maiden in a few days....
May 21, 2019, 03:29 PM
Very nice Jim!! I am looking forward to your maiden report.

SteveT.

Quick Reply