Mar 29, 2019, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Composite Build of the Stick Built Saratoga

I normally design and build super scale scratch built composite models of military prop planes and EDF jets. This thread will cover my start to finish of a classic stick built Saratoga sport plane that is no longer available.

WHY MAKE THE EFFORT?
Well, the simple answer is, its a fabulous Sunday flyer and all weather sport plane that is not bad looking. My good friend and flying buddy purchased the reference model several years ago. Its had a couple of minor crashes along the way, but is still in great shape. Last week we where sitting around telling lies and such and Brad said he is not flying the Saratoga much, due to no spare parts and wanting to keep it around.

Seeing that I build a lot of molds, I suggested that a couple of us go in together and build a composite version with a few changes. So taking Brads model home I got to building a 3-D model in Fusion 360 and began laser cutting parts for the plug.

Some mods.... Extended the front nose section to remove the need for motor stand offs. This also allows the battery to be placed from the top via a hatch. Currently have to flip the plane for battery. Top of wing crutch gets a smoothed out profile for a more sporty look. Stabs will be laser cut balsa ply to reduce warping. Motor thrust angle built in to firewall. Increased venting from cowl for ESC and flow through fuselage. Foam core wings with balsa and epoxy skin. Hand paintable for various color schemes. Improved looks by rounding the top deck and lower fuselage corners.

So here we go....
Last edited by acesimmer; Mar 29, 2019 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2019, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Day 2 & 3.... 3-D printed the cowl which will be smoothed out with high build auto primer and finishing putty. This will be used to make the cowl mold. I exported the station files out to my laser cutter using a 1/2" holes to align the stations using a square metal tube. Later today, I'll cut a build board out and add alignment marks to set the station placements.

I also 3-D printed the tail section to use for aligning the V-Stab and H-Stab positions in the plug. This is a different technique that I have not used before. However, the more tools added in the shop the easier it gets.

Next will be to add foam between them ready to sand the fuselage profile.
Mar 29, 2019, 01:33 PM
Cool! Subscribed
Mar 29, 2019, 01:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Definitely want to see this one go together!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Mar 29, 2019, 04:10 PM
I like your work. I wanted one of those Saratoga but no good way to but the battery in and out. looks nice. keeping an eye on the thread to
Mar 29, 2019, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for subscribing. Wow! This must be the fastest build I have ever done. My EuroFighter took a month and the A6 about the same to get to this stage. I got the whole thing aligned, inserted foam, sanded and also covered in glass cloth all in 8 hrs. Tomorrow, I'll remove from the alignment board so that I can sand the bottom edges round then I'll glass the bottom. Maybe Sunday afternoon I'll do a light sanding and several coats of high build auto primer then another sanding then final primer and wet sand to a glossy finish then mold. I hope to have a fuse laid up and ready to build out by end of next week.

We shall see......
Mar 29, 2019, 09:46 PM
You certainly are moving quickly Jim!! Isn't it cool what modern technology can do for you!!

SteveT.
Mar 31, 2019, 10:35 PM
Classic jets rule
Wow cool project Ace!
Mar 31, 2019, 11:13 PM
What 3D printer do you use Jim?

SteveT.
Apr 01, 2019, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
Thx Rodger, Steve... Wanhao Duplicator 5

I slowed the build down a little so that I could attach ABS to the plug to get super crisp lines for the tail wheel mount , battery compartment and landing gear attachment points and canopy. Really nice weather for a change so did some flying. I did get the entire body glassed ready for a sanding and filler application today. So still on schedule.... Hope to do parting planes by Thursday or Friday and the mold
Apr 01, 2019, 02:28 PM
Classic jets rule
Nice make sure you have positive draft so the fuse will pop out of the mold. The area of hatch and wing saddle could really hang it up.
Apr 01, 2019, 02:56 PM
Nice 3D printer Jim!!

SteveT.
Apr 01, 2019, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Yes Rodger already taken carer of. Steve, that printer is inexpensive and so far worked well for me.

I was hoping to be in primer today. Got the first coat of surface putty on and sanded. However, just at the end a bunch of foam collapsed so must have been a void. So had to prep and fix that area and let it cure. So tomorrow should see some primer and finishing coats of putty.
Apr 01, 2019, 07:28 PM
Hmmm...So I take it, it's not this one??

I have a modified Ender 3 Pro I am using, but want to do a few more things to it.

Anyway, back to your plane, sorry to get off topic.

SteveT.
Apr 04, 2019, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Okay folks, thing are not going to plan. I was hoping to begin molding up the fuse this week. However, due to temperature drops again and not being able to purchase the fast drying primer that I normally use. I have taken a hit on build time. The fuse is almost at the final stage and a couple more days should have that taken care of. The cowl is also nearly finished. Yesterday we got a set of wing cores cut and today I skinned them. So still moving along but somewhat slower than planned. Oh well!!

Quick Reply