This thread is privately moderated by flightengr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 29, 2019, 08:18 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Transmitter Setup for E-Flite V-22 Osprey VTOL

Here's a transmitter setup for the E-Flite V-22 Osprey VTOL airplane for the newer Spektrum "Gen2" transmitters (DX6, DX6e, DX7,DX8, DX8e, DX9, DX18).

I have also included a PDF file below with a full explanation (with screen shots) for how you would set up this model yourself on the transmitter. If you'd like to learn more about how your transmitter works, I'd encourage you to go through the PDF file. I took some snippets from the manual to help correlate what the manual is saying with the settings on the transmitter.

The PDF file also covers testing the setup without the airplane (using the Monitor screen), binding, and stick calibration.

If you aren't familiar with what "dual rate" and "expo" do, I have a separate writeup here on just that subject:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Rate-and-Expo

This setup is based on the recommendations in the manual with a couple of extras. I have used the flight mode feature of the transmitter to display the name of the current flight mode on the screen and use to voice callouts to announce the changes. I also added voice callouts on the throttle cut switch and the D/R and Expo switch.

The settings are as follows:
Switch B - Flight Modes
Position 0 = Multirotor Stability
Position 1 = Airplane Stability
Position 2 = Airplane Acro

Switch H - Throttle Cut
Position 0 = Motors Armed
Position 1 = Throttle Cut On

Switch F - D/R and Expo
Position 0 = High Rates (100% D/R, 10% Expo)
Position 1 = Mid Rates (85% D/R, 10% Expo)
Position 2 = Low Rates (70% D/R, 10% Expo)

Updates

Update 3/30/19 - Version 1.1 - Fixed a couple of small typos in the PDF (no change to SRM file)
Last edited by flightengr; Mar 30, 2019 at 07:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2019, 06:37 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Thread OP

Separate Trim Settings for Each Flight Mode

If you have set up your transmitter using the transmitter's flight mode capability (as I did in the post above), then you may be able to set up your transmitter to have a different trim setting in each flight mode. It depends on your model of Spektrum transmitter. The DX9 can do this, but some of the less-expensive transmitters cannot.

Having separate trim for each flight mode is important for this plane. If you only have one trim setting for all three flight modes, then trim will create drastically different effects in each flight mode. It may help the plane fly better in one particular mode, but it will be worse in the other two modes.

To tell the transmitter to create separate values for trim for each flight mode, go to the Trim Setup menu option in the System Setup menu. Change Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder from "Common" to "F Mode". Now the transmitter will let you have different trim settings for each of the three flight modes.

Quick Reply