Apr 01, 2019, 05:30 PM
RCG Admin
Here’s the RCGroups review on the Night Radian https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...CGroups-Review
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2019, 11:18 AM
aka KF7DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASieg106
One alternative to the radian, that I have been flying is the Multiplex Easy Glider 4. It is a bit less wingspan than the Radian, I think it is 71 inches WS. The build quality is outstanding. It is available from www.weekenderwarehouse.com in a kit or Receiver ready form. It uses a 3S 2200mah lipo and flys well. Please check it out.
Asieg106
I have one as well and love it. I fly mine with a 1000 mah 3s pushed far back to lighten it up and it thermals well. Definately what the Radian Pro should have been
Apr 02, 2019, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Hi ASieg106, donsinger1,

thank you very much for the recommendation; the kit appears to be perfect because I already have some of the equipment, e.g., servos, receivers. Just a few questions:

1. Is it as easy to fly as the Radian? And as robust?
2. Do I read the kit's "Required to Complete" as needing to buy the motor, ESC, and batteries? Would you recommend the mentioned ones or any alternatives?
3. Any other recommendations you would have are welcomed.

Kindest regards,

M
Apr 02, 2019, 07:12 PM
Hi mefistofelez,
You would probably like a glider with ailerons if you can get past the radio setup. I personally like my Heron but Heron is pretty spendy.

Maybe Phoenix 2400 or U-glider 1500?

Quote:
The E-Flite Radian was discontinued as well and replaced ny the Night Radian
Someone forgot to tell E-Flite that the thermal strength during the night is terrible!
Apr 03, 2019, 10:37 AM
aka KF7DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
......Someone forgot to tell E-Flite that the thermal strength during the night is terrible!
That's hilarious!!!!
Apr 21, 2019, 09:08 AM
F3B
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefistofelez
Hi ASieg106, donsinger1,

thank you very much for the recommendation; the kit appears to be perfect because I already have some of the equipment, e.g., servos, receivers. Just a few questions:

1. Is it as easy to fly as the Radian? And as robust?
2. Do I read the kit's "Required to Complete" as needing to buy the motor, ESC, and batteries? Would you recommend the mentioned ones or any alternatives?
3. Any other recommendations you would have are welcomed.

Kindest regards,

M
The easy glider has ailerons so that is another dimension. It's easy to fly though.

Multiplex foamies are better quality than radians in my experience but i haven't seen the latests radians.

Generally with multiplex you can get ready to run versions which include the esc and motor etc and the kit which doesn't.
Apr 21, 2019, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
Hi satinet,

thank you for the reply. The plans have changed as of yesterday. I visited the closest club in my area, and not only they let me fly on a buddy-box, but when discussing a beginners' sailplane, one of the gentlemen gifted me his Radian Pro, because he "needs more space for different models".

I understand, that the Pro is very different from the standard Radian, having ailerons and flaps. In that regard, it is all very confusing for a beginner because in the past I flew a rudder controlled sailplane, hence my concentration of the standard Radian, but the instructor told me to use ailerons.

In any event, it seems that the standard Radian's wings fit so if just in case that I am unable to handle the Pro since I read that the standard Radian is easier to fly, I started to search - classifieds, e-bay, etc. for them.

Kindest regards,

M
Apr 21, 2019, 05:01 PM
B for Bruce
Mefistofelez, with your past flying on RE models the transition using the RPro won't be a nasty experience. Ailerons are like rudders on a poly model. The right stick rolls the model into the turn same as before. The only difference is that now you have to roll it back out to wings level again instead of waiting patiently for the dihedral to do that for you. Also you might find that on steeper bank angles you might need a touch of outward aileron pressure. But for more open lower bank angle turns you don't. You'll be used to it all in no time.
Apr 21, 2019, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Hi BMatthews,

thank you for the vote of confidence, but you have no ide how clumsy I am . I am flying daily on a simulator, and although I am not crashing, I still cannot fly exactly where I want to, the different angles of seeing the model coupled with my dyslexia makes it quite difficult. I still enjoy it though.

Yes, I have used the ailerons with the instructor, and to be honest, I actually found it easier than using the rudder. And yes, it appears that I have to be controlling the plane all the time, as you said "roll it back." What I was referring to, was that I was surprised by the instructor telling me not to use the rudder because I though that I needed the rudder to compensate for adverse yaw.

Can you please explain what does "outward aileron pressure" mean?

Kindest regards,

M
Apr 21, 2019, 06:21 PM
mefistofelez, have you considered putting a wanted post for the radian? You can probably find one for under $100 that is in good shape.

I would be happy to offer mine, but everything besides the airframe is shot.
Apr 21, 2019, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
Hi mdickey,

I thought about it, but there seems to be a general attitude against buying foamies, so I was monitoring classifieds/e-bay for new old stock, and when nothing appeared I started to research other options, hence this thread.

Apparently the Pro has only a few flights and the gentleman is an excellent pilot. So it appears that I am set.

Kindest regards,

M
Apr 21, 2019, 10:11 PM
The consensus around here seems to be that the Radian Pro was not a step up from the regular Radian. I would assume the same applies to the "Night" versions. I suppose that, for slope soaring, the "Pro" might be better.

Anyone know if it's feasible to yank out the lights? Not so many thermals at night, and I have something else I can fly at night if I just want to bore holes in the air.
Apr 21, 2019, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
Hi lincoln,

I agree with your observation, hence my quest to find standard Radian wings. Also to have replacement for crashes. ;-)

Kindest regards,

M
Apr 22, 2019, 02:04 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefistofelez
.......thank you for the vote of confidence, but you have no idea how clumsy I am ..................What I was referring to, was that I was surprised by the instructor telling me not to use the rudder because I though that I needed the rudder to compensate for adverse yaw.

Can you please explain what does "outward aileron pressure" mean?
I guess we all excel at something... To bad it has to be at being clumsy? You'll quickly come to realize if you ought to find another polyhedral floater for a while. In the meantime give yourself "tasks" to do when flying. Don't just fly around aimlessly at random. Setting shapes of maneuvers to fly, both for real and also in the simulator, will give you something to grade your performance on and a mental image in your mind to let you know when to nudge the model to make corrections to what you intend to do instead of where the model wants to go. The added discipline might help you learn a bit faster.

In particular since the Radians are mostly a glider pay particular attention to the flying speed in the glide and work the elevator to maintain the proper speed as you fly around both in straight lines to correct for turbulence induced upsets and also to aim at feeding in and out the up elevator for turns so the model doesn't fall away or stall as you enter, fly through and leave the turns. And when you leave a turn pick a direction you want to be pointed in once the wings are level and start the rollout and return to wings level some number of degrees early so you don't over shoot the intended return to straight ahead. In short give yourself goals to work towards so you fly to meet those goals.

On a lot of aileron gliders in steeper banked turns the model wants to tighten up the bank. To counter this we need to hold a whiff of opposite (outward) pressure on the ailerons. Some folks call it "holding a little top aileron" as well. Namely you push the stick to try to roll the plane towards the upper wing in the turn. Not enough to roll the model to a lower bank angle. Just to hold it at the desired bank angle.

And if you find you really would do better with a rudder-elevator model for now they ARE out there. The Radian is attractive because it's got a good rep, it's fairly cheap and quite damage resistant. But there's other good models out there too.. Just don't crash them.
Apr 22, 2019, 06:40 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
lincoln the lights in the wings and cabin area can be removed and possibly the horizontal. The ones down the boom would require major surgery. I'm not sure how much you would gain by doing that though. BTW, the standard E-Flite Radian wings fit right on the Night Radian. I still think that with a few mods as Paul Naton shows in his Radian V1 videos the Night Radian is an excellent RE foamy thermal trainer. Plus with a little more weight one doesn't need to wait for dead calm conditions to fly.

Bruce, both my Supra and X3 almost never require "top aileron" in a thermal turn. I can set a bank angle on either and just "fly" the elevator most of the time. Except if the thermal is very turbulent.

One of my flying buddies that had a Supra asked me why his always wanted to tighten up in a thermal turn and I recommended that he try moving the CG a little further aft. My theory is that the heavier nose weight has a tendency to pull the nose into the turn (I may be incorrect though). Neither airplane will tuck when in a much maligned dive test, but they won't pull themselves out either. Now a CG that far aft would most likely not be a good idea for a novice.

Quick Reply