Sep 14, 2019, 03:36 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
The only thing left to do now before covering is to sand these pieces of trailing edge, and round the corners on the fuselages. Then it's Monokote time! That's a lot of Monokote.

I like to give every plane two contrasting colors. These are small planes so I'm going to stick with brighter colors, which means white, cream, or regular Monokote yellow as the light color. Because these three planes are supposed to be in the air at the same time they should be distinct from each other. Maybe red/cream, purple/yellow, and dark blue/white.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 10:37 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Corkscrew #1 is covered.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:40 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Now I'm discovering that I don't like the landing gear shown on the plan. It kind of sucks. I'm probably going to attach an aluminum landing gear with self tapping screws. I have a box of landing gear that I've collected from buy-outs and swap meets over the years. Maybe it's time to dip into it.

If I don't find enough aluminum landing gears the right size I can open a hole in F2 and add a hard block on the left and the right, for use with torque spring landing gear with separate wires on left and right.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:53 AM
I always liked the torque wire gear in two pieces that Randy Randolph used on his designs. You can get the two parts identical when you bend them, and after a bad landing, bend it back or flip it around.

Jim
Sep 21, 2019, 07:23 AM
The runway used to be longer
I used the gear on the plan and never liked it. I got it bent originally ok but I found the wheels are too far back and every time I moved them forward a bunch of other angles changed.

I ended up with the flat aluminum type I think you are suggesting.
It works great.

Nice Cream and Burgandy on the first one!
Sep 21, 2019, 09:02 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Thanks! I think it's a good combination. It probably needs some stripes or other graphics, but I always try to remind myself that visibility is the most important factor. The more stripes and graphics are added, the more the shape of the plane becomes obscured. I may end up adding a few numbers or something later, but no more than that.

I found three landing gears about the same size as the wire gear shown on the plan. It looks decent, and it's easy.
Sep 21, 2019, 11:52 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I always liked the torque wire gear in two pieces that Randy Randolph used on his designs. You can get the two parts identical when you bend them, and after a bad landing, bend it back or flip it around.

Jim
Yeah, I like the old left-right swap when the gear gets bent back. And it's a major advantage when each leg has only three bends. I was really apprehensive about bending the gear as shown on the plan, with eight bends and swept back legs. I'll bet that would have been all over the place.
Sep 22, 2019, 12:00 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Plane #1 has wheels, tank, engine, muffler, prop, tail wheel, control horns and control rods installed. The only things left are four servos, a receiver and a battery, plus whatever it takes to mount them. Currently it balances 1.25" in front of the specified center of gravity, which means the battery needs to go in the back of the radio compartment.
Sep 22, 2019, 11:15 AM
Any idea why the CG is so far off? The FP is not a heavy engine. Maybe you did a great job keeping the tail light.

If the CG issue is a characteristic of the Corkscrew it's good to know about.
Sep 22, 2019, 04:49 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Mike said something about putting the battery under the fuel tank, but that won't work on mine.

I almost never use epoxy to glue stabilizers in place. I always use CA because that's the one part of the plane that always survives a crash. Other than that I don't think I did anything special.
Sep 23, 2019, 03:18 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Here's a photo of the progress so far. It still doesn't have any servos installed. I'm hoping to do that this evening.
Sep 23, 2019, 03:53 PM
That's going to be fun! Looking forward to the flight report.
Sep 23, 2019, 05:06 PM
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about weight savings. I prefer lightweight airplanes, and I prefer to use smaller servos, batteries and engines when possible. I also choose light wood where it will be effective. But I don't like swiss-cheesing the living daylights out of structural parts. A guy sent me a set of files to cut out parts for a 60 size plane. The laser makes easy work of punching hundreds of little holes. When it was all finished the parts looked like lace doilies. I gathered all the little discs and weighed them. He saved half an ounce on a 60 size plane and cut the strength in half.
There ya go. Thats why I don't get too excited about trying real hard to save weight. I do try to build as light as possible and not add extra gussets and so forth to add strength but I am not bothered at all adding balance weight to a plane if thats what it takes to make it fly properly. Added weight is only put on after its not possible to balance a plane be relocating the battery or radio a little. I think the most weight I have added to any of my planes is around 1.25 oz on a 40 size Easy Sport. And I never Swiss Cheese my wood.

I did do that once on one of my scratch built planes I used 1/8" door skin wood for the fuse sides. I used a 2" hole saw to make 4 holes in each side. The four drop outs weighed almost nothing and were not worth the effort.

Nice looking build. It makes me want to build something myself. Its too friggin hot in the garage right now. But as soon as the temps drop a little I have a couple of planes I would like to start on.

I forgot to add but the last few planes I have built I have cut my own aluminum landing gear for them. My bud built a full sized plane called a "Falco" and he had a sheet of .080 tempered aluminum left over he bought from Aircraft spruce and it makes excellent gear. Its just a little thin for a 60 sized plane but to make it work I cut the legs just a little wider. Works perfect. I have enough left to cut around 3-4 more gear then I may order a new sheet. I never realy liked wire gear or the torque rod set up.
Last edited by burlesontom; Sep 23, 2019 at 05:13 PM.
Sep 24, 2019, 12:32 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
I don't know why, but I always favor wire landing gear over aluminum. Aluminum sure is easy, though. I'm enjoying the simplicity of it on this project.

Here's the status of Corkscrew #1. With the battery and receiver behind the servos the center of gravity is right on the dot. Maybe just a 32nd of an inch behind the prescribed location. I'll probably add a small black spinner to the engine, which should make it perfect.

I'll have to get the CG in the same place for all three planes if we're going to do consistent airshow maneuvers.
Last edited by Balsaworkbench; Sep 24, 2019 at 12:46 AM.
Sep 24, 2019, 07:07 AM
The runway used to be longer
Looking good!
Are you going to maiden each one as it comes off the line or do a mass maiden of all 3?

Quick Reply