Apr 10, 2019, 03:20 PM
The runway used to be longer
Yours look a lot better up front.
I built mine to the plan with massive maple engine mount beams up front.
The good news is, you can probably balance it without extra weight if you put the flight battery just behind the firewall.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2019, 03:32 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Remind me what engine you used. I'm using an OS 25 SF, which is heavier than the FP and its clones.
Apr 10, 2019, 04:59 PM
I've got a Thunder Tiger Pro 25 on mine.
I think I weighed the engine but can't find the result.
I ended up with a plastic spinner, not the heavier Aluminum one shown.
Apr 10, 2019, 05:56 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
That should be similar in weight to the 25 SF, probably.

Have you flown your plane again recently? I remember the engine was blubbering the first time out. But if you get it dialed in it should have really good vertical performance.
Apr 10, 2019, 07:05 PM
Have not flown the CorkScrew lately.
It's Spring here now and we have dodgy surfaces for a while.
I'm itching to get up with the CorkScrew again but until the club runway is rolled I have to fly more 'tundra' like planes.
Couple weeks should do it.
Apr 10, 2019, 07:16 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
It's the windy season here. We get good flying weather about once a week.
Apr 11, 2019, 07:33 PM
BWB, this is an interesting build and fun to watch.

It's the windy season at our house in New Mexico, too. It was 40 gusting to 50 yesterday and almost dead calm today. Don't worry for us, though. The forecast is that it will be blowing 12-22 for the next 2 weeks. That's normal year 'round in SE New Mexico. Can't wait to be in the Houston area full time and then I can build the Super Kaos I got from you a couple of years ago. --Right after we build a new shop that suits the HOA.
Apr 17, 2019, 03:27 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
The gulf coast is really windy, too. I don't know how New Mexico compares, but where I grew up in McAllen it was windy most days of the year. And I mean it got really windy. Combined with the hot temperatures it feels like a blast furnace. I don't miss it. The good news is that you can get up really early to fly when it's still cool, and get a couple of hours in before the wind hits you at about 10 AM.

My three fuselages are still sitting there in a row. I haven't done anything to them for a while, but I'm planning to install the cabin roof and the tank floor this evening.
Apr 24, 2019, 08:55 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
My last post was a week ago, and I didn't work on the fuselages again until last night. I used a giant Sharpie marker to blacken the tank and engine compartment, then sealed the compartment under the fuel tank floor with epoxy, and epoxied the tank floor in place on all three.
Apr 24, 2019, 04:56 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
Next I have to find three 4 oz fuel tanks that will fit the compartment. I take it that the Sullivan tank with the slanted front would be the best choice, because the fuel lines stick up and over the firewall.
Apr 25, 2019, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
The gulf coast is really windy, too. I don't know how New Mexico compares, but where I grew up in McAllen it was windy most days of the year. And I mean it got really windy. Combined with the hot temperatures it feels like a blast furnace. I don't miss it. The good news is that you can get up really early to fly when it's still cool, and get a couple of hours in before the wind hits you at about 10 AM.

My three fuselages are still sitting there in a row. I haven't done anything to them for a while, but I'm planning to install the cabin roof and the tank floor this evening.
The wind from McAllen to Corpus is a normal day in southeast NM except there are no trees to be sculpted by the wind. It howls for days and nights nonstop. Weíve had 60+ several times this year already. I hate it. Canít wait to finish moving to the new house in Baytown. The upper Texas coast has a few weeks of windy weather in the Spring and Fall but most of the Summer itís drifter conditions for sailing. On the wind maps that the wind generator companies use southeast NM is in a red zone, with the usual meaning for red.
May 04, 2019, 11:55 PM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
These planes haven't been getting much attention lately. At least they have each other, so they're not too lonely.

I pulled the tail post together and added a little block of wood between the fuselage sides where the front of the stabilizer goes. Next on the agenda is to cover the top of the tail section of each fuselage with balsa sheet, leaving the bottom open so I can install the push rods. I think on these planes I will use long steel rods in tubes.
May 05, 2019, 08:27 AM
Nice project!

I had a TT 25 Pro and it weighed about 10 oz w muffler. Basically a 25FSR clone, but with a larger muffler, which is good. On the FSR, the TT muffler gave an extra 400 rpm.

I've used Duco cement (basically same as Sigment?) on doublers using the double going method and it was good. But I've also found water base glue works fine as long as you keep it weighted or clamped long enough. I use Weldbond, but I think Titebond is about the same.

Jim
May 05, 2019, 10:05 AM
A man with a plan
Thread OP
The fuselage sides that were laminated with Titebond II ended up with a permanent warp. I was able to make it almost completely disappear when I added the cabin roof. I had books stacked on the parts for quite a long time, but maybe not long enough. I think water based glue is off my list for laminating from now on.

I'm going to do some further experiments with laminating. I'm planning to build a Miss Bikini for a friend, and it has 1/32 ply doublers on the fuselage sides. I bought a quart can of Fab-Tac (same as Ambroid) from Aircraft Spruce. I generally use it for edge joining sheets for the laser cutter, but now that I have a large can I can start using it for bigger things. I'm sure it will work well. Isn't that what everybody used a long time ago for this sort of thing?

Regarding the engine, I also have three OS 25 FPs, which I'm sure would provide more than enough power. But I've had the SF engines sitting around, and they need something to do.
May 05, 2019, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't have a hard time choosing between an SF and an FP, assuming the extra ounce or so isn't an issue. The FP is not bad, but my FSR is better, and I'm sure the SF is too.

Quick Reply