Zing Drone Delivery for DJI Drone Owners

Zing Drone Delivery got funded on kickstarter. They make delivery boxes that attach to DJI Drones and allow the drone owners to deliver items to Zing users. Here's how they say it will work...

Splash

Can you Make Money Delivering Items?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think this will work, but it's worth talking about. Zing Drone Delivery got funded on kickstarter. They make delivery boxes that attach to DJI Drones and allow the drone owners to deliver items to Zing users. Here's how they say it will work:

"Zing will consist of two parts. These are the app for users/pilots and the admin panel for restaurants. When a user orders food from a restaurant, a local drone pilot within range is notified. Once the food has been prepared, the drone pilot will place the drone down and use the app to start the delivery. The drone will fly to and descend at the restaurant autonomously using Zingís proprietary system. The drone pilot then makes the final descent and picks up the food manually using the Zing app. Once the drone pilot is ready, they will tap a button to continue the autonomous flight to the userís location. They will drop off the food manually in the same way they picked it up from the restaurant. The drone then flies home and lands autonomously where the pilot will put in a new battery to prepare for the next delivery."

It's sort of like a flying Uber Eats, but there are so many challenges and issues with this that it seems unlikely to take off, pardon the pun. The Zing Drone Deliveries app is available now and you can sign up to be a Zing pilot on their website. Youíll need to have your Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA (107). What do you guys think? Is this going to change the food delivery service or what?

Check out the Zing Drone Delivery Page Here

Zing Drone Delivery (0 min 59 sec)

Mar 28, 2019, 09:09 AM
I mean, if they had delivered a full meat & three meal with a drink I might be impressed. She doesn't even have any milk to go with the cereal!

- Dustin
Mar 28, 2019, 10:07 AM
Registered Fanatic
Geez I dunno,, how much is it going to cost the recipient to receive an apple, or maybe a slice of pizza?
Mar 28, 2019, 11:09 AM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
how may people with a simple fish net will have a 1k new toy?
Mar 29, 2019, 02:46 AM
Ugh, Kickstarter is depressing.
Mar 31, 2019, 09:12 AM
I'm shocked that it actually got funded on Kickstarter, I'm only guessing but I think it's a good bet those who pledged money didn't have any RC experience and don't frequent rcg. Kickstart can be a tough audience I've seen things I thought were great inventions bomb out, this is probably the most pie in the sky (forgive the pun, lol) idea get funded.
Apr 01, 2019, 02:13 PM
What a bunch of loser comments, first price will be more, not an issue there will be people willing to pay for this exclusive service. Secondly no people with fishnets will capture the drone , its all on camera. And gps location locked in.How can one be shocked it got funded ???? Im shocked not more endavours like this is funded Drones are the future, deliveries will happen regulations will someday catch up, the time just isn't right now, but it will happen 200% definate and sooner than many think.

One can swear its a bunch of old ladies on rocking chairs replying specializing in knitting whool jerseys
Last edited by Axefly; Apr 01, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Apr 01, 2019, 10:08 PM
You know if you need something quick and you're in a pinch, this could be a great idea. It needs to grow and develop more to make any harsh judgments on it though. I'm down. I'm curious about compatibility across varied platforms. There are so many different drones out there that different sizes of carriers will need used.. like you said lots of problems and issues. Insurance being one of them.
Apr 02, 2019, 09:22 AM
Registered Fanatic
@ Axefly. Hey I'm all for supporting an entrepreneur effort that is trying out some creative options that could potentially yield a useful result.
But this one seems a bit ahead of it's time. Current quads don't have that much range really.,, especially if you add a couple of pounds of payload, they'll barely get beyond line of sight. (which is probably a good thing, right?)
So the only way to take advantage of this sort of design is to use it in an area that is dense with "customers". Like perhaps a marina or something like that?
It might be an interesting novelty for the non-customers to see drone deliveries being carried out but only for short term. Within a few days or a week, the non-customers will likely be complaining about the noise & potential danger. You know how people are, right?

I've heard some courier companies are trying out adding drones to their delivery system. In those cases, the drone is launched from the truck that drives close to the destination, then the drone pops out of a roof "hangar" delivers the package & returns to the truck. THAT system has viable possibility.

But, hey good luck to these guys too, I hope they achieve something
Apr 02, 2019, 10:06 AM
You have some good points sure, like mentioned the time isn't there yet, but its close. This Zing idea is to inspire... its one of the many ideas that will inspire the big players and small players to get this going sometime in the near future. Zing too. With bigger drones and range extender stations.

As to the noise problem, you made an interesting point and you made it well.

Heres how it can be solved, best solution is to simply fly higher, at 120 meters my inspire 1 is barely audible and looks like a white bird moving through the sky.

Added possibilities i beleive forthcoming is multi bladed props designed for noise reduction, its landing and taking off that would make noise but there are ways around the issue, keep in mind also everyone is not going to order something at the same time in a given area.
Apr 02, 2019, 04:53 PM

This Will Violate 107

Somebody needs to point these people to FAA Advisory Circular 107-02. There is no practical way to make this work under the operating limitations of Part 107. They seem to recognize 107 exists and that it applies to them, but have no idea how it works.

Theres a reason Uber/Lyft/Amazon/UPS is not doing this now. 107 does not practically allow for drone deliverly on anything but on an experimental scale in a very controlled environment.
Apr 03, 2019, 05:35 AM
For now.....
Apr 05, 2019, 06:52 AM
SOunds like complete horse hockey. You would never have enough battery life to complete a delivery unless you live a couple blocks away and order a salad and whipped yogurt.
May 16, 2019, 03:16 AM
Seriously, there are so many problems as the author suggested. What about weather, darned if I'd let my Mavic out into a torrential downpour, or when it's blowing a gale. What about the upkeep, motors get worn, batteries degrade and how is the pilot going to see anything, in a city (where this is intended I assume) there happens to be no Line Of Sight. What about insurance, you crash on the way to the person ordering, their meal is lost plus any costs, who foots that bill?

Judging by the container, there's not much room unless the customer's on a diet. What if someone gets the munchies whilst you're tucked up in bed or possibly busy with something else, dare I say, out flying your quadcopter, for fun. Someone's already mentioned the legal side of things, the FAA and their rules. What about the terrain you'll be bound to fly over, houses, cars, people, what happens if your Quad decides to drop out of the sky? The whole thing sounds like a good thing for the restaurant involved, but definitely not for the quad owner.

Oh yes, and what about that guy with a net, the majority of business will take place at night, what's to stop someone phoning for food and having a friend out in the garden with a net, grab it after it's dropped it's load and how will the pilot be able to identify someone with a balaclava. You can almost bet some shifty person will wake up to that, No not me, I'm not in the US.

Whilst I'm all for new types of business I honestly can't see this getting off the ground, pun intended. Sorry about the negativity, but Wow! someone needs lessons about quadcopters.
May 16, 2019, 07:18 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr2o3
Whilst I'm all for new types of business I honestly can't see this getting off the ground, pun intended. Sorry about the negativity, but Wow! someone needs lessons about quadcopters.
That's the biggest issue...it can't get off the ground, They want it to fly to a pick up point from your "home base" (Un-arm to load basket) Re-Arm and take off, Fly that distance depicted to the resort Island to drop off and Un-Arm again, package delivered, Re-Arm and fly home, All while retaining visual down feed to insure no one is near props. So while DJI has the best system with radio distance and camera down feed...they aren't that DARN good! Barring all else with Weather, whatever else you mentioned you simply will not have significant radio signal to arm or shutdown, let alone visual signal to insure you can do so safely. Simply a Pipe dream as shown. Short range...perhaps...about the distance a waiter/waitress could bring you that dropped fork.

While people are picking apart load capacity and battery power....it can't even do the first part regardless. Even if they made a SDK app that autonomously flew all routes armed and unarmed...you still need safety, and while one could use a drone with all around sensors before arming it's still a stretch and their is no DJI product (or any other at present) that could pull it off.

However that being said there is a Medical use that I can see. Such as a one time flight to deliver a EPI-Pen, Blood?...Medication on scene... Fly route, camera down for landing check...auto land..then it self UnArms....you figure out how to retrieve your drone or Medical arrives on scene and recovers the drone. But not sure you need this Basket to accomplish those.
Last edited by Repaid1; May 16, 2019 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply