This thread is privately moderated by Andy852, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 26, 2019, 10:58 PM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
New Product

Avios Grumman Albatross Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") PNF

Avios Albatross Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") PNF - HobbyKing Product Video (2 min 22 sec)

Avios has designed a beautiful twin-engine Grumman Albatross flying boat. What could be better than a large monohull flying boat gracing the skies or taxing across a lake? This excellent plane is made of strong EPO foam and comes with scale plastic fittings for an extremely realistic look. It is painted in a US Navy rescue scheme of seagull gray, yellow and white for easy visibility under all conditions.

The Grumman HU-16 Albatross came into service with the United States Air Force in 1949 and was primarily designed as an amphibious plane for search and rescue missions. It was extensively used for combat search and rescue in both the Korean and Vietnam wars. As an amphibian, it could land on both land and open sea and was optimized for 4-foot (1.2m) seas but could land in heavier seas.

The Albatross is well powered by twin Aerostar 3536-850KV motors with scale 3-blade 10x6 propellers. The 30A reversing ESCs make it easier to navigate around the water. The addition of a water rudder makes maneuvering on water even easier. The built-in flaps provide plenty of lift and make landings and takeoffs look easy. The Albatross provides a great presence in the air that will look outstanding at any time and can easily do scale passes that all enthusiasts enjoy.

Get out on the water and go soaring across the sky with the Avios Grumman Albatross.

Features:
• Classic Flying Boat design
• US Navy livery with pre-applied stickers
• Twin AeroStar reversing ESCs (water resistant)
• Twin 35mm AeroStar brushless motors
• Preinstalled electronics
• Water Rudder
• Navigation lights

Specs:
Wingspan: 1620mm (63.7”)
Length: 1210mm (47.6”)
Weight: 2300g
Motor: AeroStar 3536 850KV Brushless Outrunner
ESC: AeroStar 30A RVS
Propellers: 3-blade 10x6
Servos: 7x9g

Requires:
1 x 6 channel TX and RX
1 x 2700~4000mAh 4S Lipo Battery

Avios Albatross Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") PNF - HobbyKing Product Profile (5 min 1 sec)
Last edited by Andy852; May 29, 2019 at 05:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2019, 01:13 AM
I've been looking forward to this. And, just in time for summer float flying.
Mar 27, 2019, 06:12 AM
Looks real nice wish it was a little bigger though -
Appears to another fast ship, bigger is better to avoid this trait/illusion. Shall keep an eye on this one when the initial reaction dies down
HK sure know how to entice people to part with their hard earned cash
Mar 27, 2019, 06:16 AM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
It is actually a tad too big for my car with the wings on.

Very similar to the Bush Mule in dimensions and running gear.
Mar 27, 2019, 08:14 AM
Living the dream
Thanks for the effort put into the post Andy - pretty keen on this one.

Just a thing - your link to the Global w/h goes through to the Aussie one.
Mar 27, 2019, 10:26 AM
JohnVHRC
Here is a couple more vids!

Available at HobbyKing! https://goo.gl/aM6roP

Hobbyking Avios Grumman ALBATROSS 1620mm MAIDEN FLIGHT!! (6 min 39 sec)

Hobbyking Avios Grumman ALBATROSS 1620mm GRASS FIELD OPS! (5 min 52 sec)
Latest blog entry: VQ A-24 Banshee Maiden Flight!
Mar 27, 2019, 04:22 PM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Thanks for the effort put into the post Andy - pretty keen on this one.

Just a thing - your link to the Global w/h goes through to the Aussie one.
Thanks for that - fixed that link!

BTW - it is already on backorder in the Global Store, that was quick!
Mar 27, 2019, 05:01 PM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Avios Albatross HU-16 Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") PNF Crash on Maiden flight (16 min 24 sec)
Mar 27, 2019, 09:48 PM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Avios Albatross Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") PNF - HobbyKing Super Daily (2 min 59 sec)
Mar 29, 2019, 03:45 PM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Avios Albatross HU-16 Flying Boat 1620mm (63.7") PNF Re-Maiden by Pilot Robert (20 min 12 sec)
Mar 29, 2019, 06:00 PM
Thanks Avios and Hobbyking, back to back to back releases that are worthwhile . 70mm 6s Skysword, C-130 and now the Albatross ....Outstanding!
Mar 29, 2019, 07:52 PM

Pulled the trigger!

Yesterday immediately after receiving the message from Hobby King, I placed an order for fantastic looking model. I usually wait until a few reviews have been posted, but I think this will be a hot seller, and the weather in Chicago is finally warming up. Canít wait for this one arrive. Thanks for such a well looking and nicely engineered model.
Apr 01, 2019, 09:03 PM
Mine arrived today. Opened it just long enough to check it out. It was well packed and individual parts protected in plastic bags. Mine shows no signs of damage.

From just a quick check, the paint looks very good. kudos to Avios for actually painting the white portion and not just leaving it bare foam. The paint appears to be applied smoothly and the yellow, which I was concerned may be to lemony, is a nice rich shade of yellow.

I plan to eventually wrap this plane and letter it as a WV Air Guard ship, however, I think I will have to put it together and fly it as is for a short while, just because it looks that good.
Apr 04, 2019, 10:53 PM
I love it but if it is anything like the Bush Mule you'll need to replace the ESCs

Both mine and my co-pilot's Mules had issues. Installing larger ESCs rectified the problem.
Apr 05, 2019, 12:05 AM
I really like the potential of this model, looks good, seems to fly ok, bit unscale like but has potential, just wish HK would produce their models as bare airframes allowing the purchaser to spec it out with quality accessories, I'd have several of their designs otherwise if that was the case!
Shall keep a close eye on this one

Quick Reply