Sep 09, 2019, 07:59 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Trying to avoid the zipping.....

Here it is with a "txt" extension. Change to "xlsx" and it will open with Excel.

Rj
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 10:20 PM
just one more launch...

Cascadia Score plots

Visualizing data is always fun, so here are some plots of the Prelim and Flyoff scores. Thanks to all for a really great 2-day contest experience! I've never had so much fun flying in the rain before!!

*prelims includes only pilots with scores for both days, to keep results "apples to apples"
Last edited by meiche; Sep 09, 2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: note about prelim data set
Sep 10, 2019, 07:41 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
East Coast Report
Well, Cascadia has been on my bucket list for a while and I finally made it and I'm glad I did.
Firstly I had some gracious hosts. Paul picked me up from the airport and Rick put me up and drove me around all weekend. The Reese family entertained me while Rick was finishing at the field. These are all very nice friendly people. The PNW sure is accommodating.
The contest was an eye opener for me. I've never flown all day with no wind. Just doesn't happen in my part of the world. Really dead calm and overcast all day with little tiny thermals. Flying smooth really takes on a new meaning here. I adapted pretty well on Saturday, Sunday was a little more struggle, including flying in the rain. First contest I've every flown in where there was flyable air all weekend, but I never saw the sun once. I was in the flyoffs until the last round when a mid-air and low altitude save resulted in an out of bounds (6 feet) on my 2:30, then the midair damaged flap on the leading edge stood up like a spoiler for the 3 minute flight. Dang.
This is a great contest with friendly people, a nice field, good food, and great pilots. A very relaxed, but competitive atmosphere with very different conditions from what we get on the East Coast. I finally put a little ballast in on Sunday just because I was feeling naked without it.
I met a lot of people that I've only known as weird handles on RCG and more friendly people beyond that. It was great to meet everyone. I hope there's not a test on names next year as I have grey haired memory. I picked up a nice wooden plane from Bruce K as a nice memento.
It was good to see some left coasters I've met before at Poway,
Congratulations to the winners. I'm not sure they shouldn't rename it Banks Memorial Field, but the guy won't quit flying.
@Brenden and others: feel the force calling you to team selects...
Thanks to all the workers, organizers, cookers, scorekeepers, haulers, raffle supporters (Denis, Thomas, and Rollo) and other contributors and for having a canopy and chair for me. And definitely to Rick for opening his home to me and carting me around like luggage all weekend.
I will definitely try to make it back in the future. I had a great time.
My East Coast friends that have been thinking about it (you know who you are) need to get out to this contest. They have a great DLG community out there.
--mickey
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Sep 10, 2019, 08:04 AM
Thank you Mickey for your timing in the playoffs.
Sep 10, 2019, 09:37 AM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freya
Thank you Mickey for your timing in the playoffs.
You are quite welcome. It was my pleasure.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
Sep 10, 2019, 10:19 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
Trying to avoid the zipping.....
Here it is with a "txt" extension. Change to "xlsx" and it will open with Excel.
Rj
Rick,
I was talking about actually uploading it to google sheets (requires a google account of course) and then sharing the link here.

I created a google sheet with your XLSX data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

--
Sep 10, 2019, 11:07 AM

Thank You

For saving a complete computer illiterate.
CAry
Sep 10, 2019, 11:31 AM
Will fly for Bourbon
Thanks Mickey for the great report! Just to be clear, it was me that got tangled up in the mid-air. We both lost on that one, Mickey for the flyoffs and my primary BAMF....ouch!! So much hard work and fun, mentally I was totally wiped out when I got home. Mickey is right about our air, very, very light and technical flying is required. Thanks to Rick, Burton and Chef Bret and all of the SASS crew for putting this on. I'm sure it's going to become a must make contest.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:47 PM
So much fun... Thanks to Rick and Burton for keeping things so smooth all weekend long, Dave Banks and Rick for those awesome ribs, Bret and helpers for the other food, and my sister for the delicious cinnamon rolls It was also great to fly with all those who came from afar to make the Cascadia an even awesome-er contest. Letís fly again sometime
Sep 10, 2019, 01:00 PM
Wow! What a tough contest! The level of talent continues to grow. There is no letting up with this group. Lots of light air made it a challenge for heavy thumbs. Very few gimmees. Thanks Jonathan for your timing expertise throughout the competition.
Congrats to Dave, Brenden and Paul for your strong finish.
Thanks to RJ and Burton for a well managed show and for picking the weather.
The grub was yummy per Brett and Dave, gourmet! Good tomatoes too! Heheh.
Barry, thanks for doing the T-shirts!
I felt lucky to have made the fly-offs. As I drove home Sat. I was mentally naming the people that could beat me and when I got to the end of that list, I didn't think I had a chance. Then Sun. I struggled right out of the gate. Not sure how I made it, but it was enjoyable, stressful, and tiring. Now for some time off to recover and figure out how to program my Taranis that I've had for 2 years. Waaaah!
See you in Oct.
Sep 10, 2019, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it was a great weekend! I was so happy we got through everything with minimal rain delays, especially with the spectacular lightning storm on Saturday night. One highlight for me was having Mickey time for me - hopefully I can remember what I learned from him. Another was following task master Webb's instructions to get the 1000 in the Last Flight task and I think his shear will to see me get that flight kept me going.

Thanks to everyone for making this happen! A shout out to Brett for keeping us fed and for Barry for helping with the scores and timing. (And if Barry shows up to the October contest we are not going to give him a choice - he is flying and someone else is throwing for him. ) I especially appreciate all the out of towners who are willing to make the trek out to come and play with us! Hopefully you can join us next year as well!

Burton
Sep 10, 2019, 02:06 PM
Blind Hawk
Thread OP
Thanks Oleg! As you can tell I don't use Google Sheets

Rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Rick,
I was talking about actually uploading it to google sheets (requires a google account of course) and then sharing the link here.

I created a google sheet with your XLSX data.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

--
Sep 10, 2019, 02:32 PM
Brent Lytle
Thanks for a great Saturday! ;-)

Already looking forward to the 2020 Cascadia. Can I book tickets yet? Iím trying to figure out what made my first Cascadia so special. Was it the great people, interesting weather, great organization, the best field Iíve flown on, the great food (Thanks Brett and Dave!)

Just a great time! Hereís a pic of how my flyoffs went...

See ya next year, Iíll try to bring friends
Sep 10, 2019, 02:36 PM
plays with toy planes
...And you're 3x closer to the line than that picture shows.

Please come back, and with reinforcements!
Sep 10, 2019, 03:27 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
Wow, that was a fun contest! I can't think of a better group of people to spend the whole weekend outside with, in questionable weather. But wasn't Sunday afternoon gorgeous?

And what challenging air! I don't think I've even seen such light lift all day. When things finally started to pop on Sunday, it felt like such a luxury.

Quick Reply