Mar 26, 2019, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bubble Dancer 2019

Iíve been putting together stuff to build a Bubble for some time now and now am just waiting for the laser cut parts from Mountain Models before I start building. I researched all of the old threads and websites that I could find on the Bubble Dancer but most of the stuff is dated and it seems that the latest info that I could find on the BD is dated 2017.

So is there any new or updated construction tips, or updates, etc on the Bubble Dancer before I start building it? I donít have a problem with Markís plans as it is but if somebody came up with something better, please let me know.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2019, 01:14 PM
Duane, LSF IV
This is the best info I've seen on building a Bubble Dancer.
http://aviatorstudio.net/
Mar 26, 2019, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Yep, that guy’s CNC jigs are very impressive.
Apr 01, 2019, 03:13 PM
volare est vivere
Hi there from Toledo!

I adapted his jig concept for a two piece Houston Hawk wing. The result is a flat, true, light and accurate wing. I suggest that you build the BD wing jig.

Ciao. RJF
Apr 01, 2019, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley
Hi there from Toledo!

I adapted his jig concept for a two piece Houston Hawk wing. The result is a flat, true, light and accurate wing. I suggest that you build the BD wing jig.

Ciao. RJF
But.... it looks like it takes longer to build the jig than it does the wing. I would build the jig if I were going into production building multiple copies of the BD.

However, Iíve seen a couple pictures where the builder made a folding building board and I might just do that.
Apr 01, 2019, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
What do you guys think about splitting the single spoiler into two spoilers like on the AVA Pro.
Apr 01, 2019, 07:56 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Archer
What do you guys think about splitting the single spoiler into two spoilers like on the AVA Pro.
If I was going to build one I would do exactly that...

Darth Hawkdaddy
Apr 02, 2019, 12:59 AM
No reason why you shouldn't split the spoiler.
But
By all accounts there is no reason to split it, works fine as is.
Builder's choice I would say.
Apr 02, 2019, 02:04 PM
volare est vivere
Hi there from Toledo!

Just remember, you will need a fair amount of elevator trim mixed with the spoiler channel when deploying that rather largish spoiler regardless if one piece or two piece.

Ciao. RJF
Last edited by ray foley; Apr 02, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
Apr 02, 2019, 05:10 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
If I was going to build one I would do exactly that...

Darth Hawkdaddy
So why would you split the spoiler? Concerns about blanketing the stab?
Apr 04, 2019, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
I’m annoyed. I ordered a bunch of 48” pieces of balsa and the ups guy bent the box in half and broke all of the balsa wood in half. Luckily I don’t think that I need any pieces of wood longer than 24” for my BD...
Apr 04, 2019, 06:31 PM
I have had many bad experiences with shippers.
UPS broke some things, and has delivered stuff to wrong addresses....and I mean they delivered my stuff to addresses that had NOTHING in common with my address...nowhere near the same house #, street different, etc.
But the worst by far is the USPS...I ordered a kit from CA. a few years ago(I live in VA.)...To make a very long story short, they broke the fiberglass fuselage. The manufacturer was good enough to send me a new fuse, but they broke it too.
Took FOUR shipments before I got a fuse that was not damaged. Will NEVER use the postal service to ship anything again!
The best shipper in my experience has been FeDex...never had a problem with them. Try to always have any kit stuff shipped by them...
Wind Shadow
Apr 05, 2019, 02:22 AM
Balsa dust maker
Did the package have insurance on it?
You might be able to get the wood replaced.
Apr 05, 2019, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
I’m not going to quibble about it. I ordered extra wood so I have more than enough good wood to do the BD.

Wind Shadow, yikes, four fuselages. I ordered a CLM fuse from Croatia and it made it in perfect shape.

Time to fire up the laser cutter...
Apr 09, 2019, 03:18 AM
Are you doing electric, or just a traditional BD?

Quick Reply