Mar 26, 2019, 03:00 PM
world's slowest builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha10
Yeah, I'm sure it could be done with 4000s, but F-18s like to fly with an aft cg so I'll likely go as hot and lightweight as possible.

Maybe even 80mm!
I ran 2x 3700s on 12S in my Tams F-16 and it was stupid at 9.5 lbs auw. Unlimited vert and had to be over 130-140 top speed level. Het 1125 on a Jetfan 90. 4.5 minute hot flights! You could easily run 2, 3300s. Max Amps were 85 so you can get away with a castle 80HV no prob...those are tough ESCs. This time I will try the semi evo on 12s as it is spaced for over 9 lbs thrust with max amps of 77. Super light weigh system too! Can take 2600s or 3300s with the low amps and efficiency and still get decent flight times.

The cheater will hurt the efficiency a bit (but not as much as a starving fan) but I bet this thing still does well on 6,8 or 12S.
Last edited by Air-Jon; Mar 26, 2019 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2019, 03:15 PM
Kicking Tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Donít sweat the details, it looks like F/W and Motion have reached a new high for design/construction of a model very flyable out of the box AND it doesnít need weathering, just a coat of gloss ! Very nice. Hope that some of you 3D print guys can come up with some nice enhancements, maybe Motion might supply exhaust nozzles ? Do I see a tail hook ?

Our bird includes both a plastic tailhook and plastic molded exhaust nozzles with panel lines delineating the turkey feathers. The nozzles are factory painted in two tones of metallic silver. The feathers are gunmetal and the ring is a blueish silver. Small details, but it stands out in the light.

The plastic tailhook hinges on a plastic base, but the stem is glued to the fuselage. Technically someone could deploy the tailhook with a servo... but we're leaving that to the DIY crowd. The PNP's tailhook will be fixed in the stowed position to spare our CS team the liability of tearing out the bottoms of airplanes during carrier landing attempts.

The hook's pin joint can be seen in this photo, and the dual tone nozzle also. Wider pictures to come from our other guys. It's 4:30am here so it's recharge time.

I mean, time to sleep.
Mar 26, 2019, 03:18 PM
we can take off without that
Very nice! I'm glad you went for a single-seater, looks much better to me.
Shame its going to be too big for me.
I hope you shrink it down to 64mm~70mm keeping those scale lines. I didn't get the FMS F-18 the two-seater just doesn't do it for me.
Mar 26, 2019, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha.MotionRC

The hook's pin joint can be seen in this photo, and the dual tone nozzle also. Wider pictures to come from our other guys. It's 4:30am here so it's recharge time.

I mean, time to sleep.
Hey Alpha.. Do you ever Sleep??
Mar 26, 2019, 03:34 PM
world's slowest builder
The fully hidden elevator servo/linkage is next level stuff!
Mar 26, 2019, 03:49 PM
world's slowest builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha10
Yeah, I'm sure it could be done with 4000s, but F-18s like to fly with an aft cg so I'll likely go as hot and lightweight as possible.

Maybe even 80mm!
model F-18s I've flown and been around don't love a particularly aft CG. A little nose weight tends to reduce the landing pitch up that F-18s are famous for on slow (short field) landings. Those LEX really help with a slightly forward CG to reduce that "heavy" feel many planes get with lots of weight in the nose. If Freewing got the got the main landing gear position correct (looks like they did...slightly forward of scale by using shorter than scale trailing links) The takeoff rotation should be nice and smooth...no popping! Also, F-18s love flaps for takeoff!

I think 2X 2800 or 3000s if you can find them would be the sweet spot for 12S with HET 700 1125 Jetfan (that is a special combo right there) or the wemo EVO with the HET 650 1130.

As for the Full scale having a very aft CG...that is a whole different animal... We can't factor in relaxed stability...at least until someone releases a flight controller with AOA sensors.. i'm sure its coming....
Last edited by Air-Jon; Mar 26, 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Mar 26, 2019, 03:59 PM
Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Hey Guys, our team had planned to release the all-new Freewing 90mm F-18C Hornet in Blue Angels markings first, followed by a Base Gray PNP version later this summer. However, based on some early customer feedback in this official thread and the squawk thread asking about having a Base Gray version sooner, we're open to possibly having both available at the same arrival date. As always, we're happy to respond to our customer family's preferences, which is one of the reasons we opted to show the F-18 a little sooner than usual.

So the poll is open now (link below) and you have 1 week to vote on Hobby Squawk as we would have to move fast with the factory in order to accomplish this!

VOTE HERE: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...f-18-base-gray
Mar 26, 2019, 04:00 PM
AA6JB
James ... nice work on the media!
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Mar 26, 2019, 04:02 PM
In my turbine F18 it liked flaps for take off. Also rear CG ok if gyro installed, otherwise it might go "cobra" on you when AoA goes past certain point and aerodynamical forces push nose up more.

That happened once... also same thing happened once in a twinturbine su-27 on landing pattern. That wasn't nice either.

But to achieve proper Hornet flight attitude you must drive it belly first and rearwards cg helps with that..
Mar 26, 2019, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionRC
Hey Guys, our team had planned to release the all-new Freewing 90mm F-18C Hornet in Blue Angels markings first, followed by a Base Gray PNP version later this summer. However, based on some early customer feedback in this official thread and the squawk thread asking about having a Base Gray version sooner, we're open to possibly having both available at the same arrival date. As always, we're happy to respond to our customer family's preferences, which is one of the reasons we opted to show the F-18 a little sooner than usual.

So the poll is open now (link below) and you have 1 week to vote on Hobby Squawk as we would have to move fast with the factory in order to accomplish this!

Will the Grey one be offered without Decals?? Such a Pita to remove if one wanted to spray up our own livery..Kit plus as well??
Mar 26, 2019, 04:14 PM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
I'd love both a gray and the BA version. I have a color scheme I want to do with a base gray color, so I'd rather do less work than more work if the factory can offer the gray version. I just would like it without decals added though just like the A-10 80mm EDF came out of the box.

Thanks for considering this.
Mar 26, 2019, 04:21 PM
Blue Angels livery would be a likely candidate for Gatoring under the Hot Aussie sun.. Definitely considering a Grey one & do my own livery..
Mar 26, 2019, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionRC

Bravo Team Motion! I'm voting for the Gray sooner.
Mar 26, 2019, 04:27 PM
Landing is not optional
Man, MRC listening and interacting with customers and willing to change plans due to feedback... doesn't get much better than that folks!
Mar 26, 2019, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
Man, MRC listening and interacting with customers and willing to change plans due to feedback... doesn't get much better than that folks!
Right!? I'm sure I'll likely have both in time... Haha!

Quick Reply