Mar 26, 2019, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
Yeah, Advancing us into broke dom...!!
Don't blame yah pal... i got the same feeling at the same time excited about this new bird. In just a few months, Freewing F-22, Eflite F-4, now this F-18.... just happened too soon too quick in succession... Great for new EDF pilots though.

I sang the praise and excitement for the newcomings, haven't pulled the trigger like I did with Freewing F-15 (a mistake on hind sight).

Great guys wait until this coming November/December sale for those exciting birds lol!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2019, 11:04 AM
Well, if its not ready for Jet Jam I'm sure it will be ready for E-Jets and E-Warbirds in September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha.MotionRC
The Don, you're one of my RC heroes, so "Thank you, thank you, thank you" to you, too.

Capt Soap, James can post a picture later. Also, he is setting up a live YouTube for Friday, during which he'll do a walkaround of the model from his studio and answer questions live, set the model alongside other ~1/11 scaled EDFs from us (L-39, F-4, F-16, etc, whatever he has nearby). He'll be able to show you the battery bay. Suffice to say it's big enough to fit the battery range I stated in the first post. I prefer it on the 6s 5000 or 5100, but I know there are many out there with the 6000s, and those fit/CG, too. I can't post a photo of my battery bay since it's got a secret.

Hifinsword, there is indeed an aux inlet in front of the fan. The F-18C is a tough cookie to crack as far as ducting and undercarriage is concerned, and we had to get creative. The -A/C doesn't have the widened belly of the -E/F, which limits space for the EDF. The real undercarriage twists and pivots in multiple places to make space in a way that we can't mimic at this price point or scale. The position of the EDF, which is largely determined by the very short fuselage height compared to the Hornet's long length, means that the intakes need to curve to reach the fan, which necessitated an inlet of some kind. With our undercarriage positioned where it is for smooth rotation on takeoff, inlets on the side of the fuselage are impossible, leaving only the bottom of the fuselage as a potential location. Moving the inlet forward of the main struts to reduce FOD showed a decrease in efficiency, due to the converging airstreams being too turbulent and not being able to smooth out before they reached the fan. You can see how precarious the balance is... To summarize, we did our best to reduce the inlet without sacrificing output, and also without oversizing the intakes or sacrificing the sleek proportions of the Hornet that are very important to us to capture visually. Perhaps the team can post a video of a flights with a screen on the aux inlet or with it covered.

Robert, that's the plan. More info to follow.
Mar 26, 2019, 11:11 AM
Certified Eagle and Bug Driver
Awesome!! Another one to buy, can't wait. Subscribed.

Jim
Mar 26, 2019, 11:47 AM

Now we're talkin

I'm kind of excited about this one! I like the full moving horizontal stabilizers.

What is the top speed advertised on 6S with 90mm as delivered? I might be inclined to go with the ARF so that I can put a really strong
aftermarket power system such as the Jetfan 90mm on 8 or 10S. I am starting to really crave speed. Damn the flight time.
Mar 26, 2019, 12:22 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Need any body to test high altitude dirt runway operations? Lololololol either way...ima have one alresdy looking at paint schemes...so many good ones!
Mar 26, 2019, 12:43 PM
Where Customers Matter
Thread OP
Here are some more up close pics of the:
  1. Battery Bay (disregard the rats nest, this was pre-production version and some of the leads they send were much longer than the final will be)
  2. landing gear- trailing link
  3. flaps (nicely molded hinges and "open" from the top down view
  4. low-vis rudder servo
  5. the hidden elevator servo hatch behind the BUNO (just gets tacked on, my favorite minor detail)

She really is a beauty. I'll be back later today with some size comparisons shots as well
Mar 26, 2019, 12:46 PM
Maj, USAF
Looks awesome! I'm definitely getting my hopes up for this one. I've always wanted a proper "super scale" Blue Angel and this looks like it could be a real winner.

Any idea of the release date? 12 blade fan option?
Mar 26, 2019, 12:52 PM
Innocent Bystander
VeryNice !!
Mar 26, 2019, 01:04 PM
Quick question:
What does the airframe look like?.. ie carbon wing spars?... or longitudital reinforcements in fuselage etc?.. could you give us more details on those elements?

Also - that's a large jet for a single 90mm.... any chance, or plans for a twin-80mm?
Mar 26, 2019, 01:14 PM
killickb
Don’t sweat the details, it looks like F/W and Motion have reached a new high for design/construction of a model very flyable out of the box AND it doesn’t need weathering, just a coat of gloss ! Very nice. Hope that some of you 3D print guys can come up with some nice enhancements, maybe Motion might supply exhaust nozzles ? Do I see a tail hook ?
Mar 26, 2019, 01:29 PM
Innocent Bystander
Yes,.. there is a tail hook. And, a very nice looking pair of BLAD'S up there on the LEX's ... WellDone !!! VeryNice !!
Mar 26, 2019, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt
Looks awesome! I'm definitely getting my hopes up for this one. I've always wanted a proper "super scale" Blue Angel and this looks like it could be a real winner.

Any idea of the release date? 12 blade fan option?
The 12 blade option is... go out and buy one Honestly I don't think they've ever done it any other way.
Mar 26, 2019, 01:39 PM
Registered RC NUT!
Good day to drop this to get you all pumped!

2019 Blue Angels El Centro Air Show (26 min 28 sec)
Mar 26, 2019, 01:54 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Glad to see it announced....looks great!!
Mar 26, 2019, 02:03 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaroo
VeryNice !!
To see that from you means this one must be done pretty dang well!

Quick Reply