Oct 19, 2019, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud
If flying at an AMA field and the rules people are adamant, the bladder could also be placed inside plastic shell, like a cut-out topical alcohol bottle.
No one's ever worried about AMA rules, until they need to file an insurance claim and then get the response " sorry, your coverage is denied"
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2019, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop
No one's ever worried about AMA rules, until they need to file an insurance claim and then get the response " sorry, your coverage is denied"
At AMA sanctioned events, you should. They can shut you down.

If you fly over private property, you're only subject to FAA regulations.
Latest blog entry: Digital LED Voltmeter
Oct 19, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote:
If flying at an AMA field and the rules people are adamant, the bladder could also be placed inside plastic shell, like a cut-out topical alcohol bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop
Or just maybe.... not everyone lives in the US and therefore AMA rules dont apply...
Oct 19, 2019, 04:44 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Love that Saudi Hawk!!
Oct 19, 2019, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec
Or just maybe.... not everyone lives in the US and therefore AMA rules dont apply...
The original poster (plastic bottle tank) is in Canada. AMA advocates in both US and Canada, and sanctions events in both, too. So could be kinda relevant if he plans on flying at a recognized club. From the sound of it, he does.
Oct 19, 2019, 06:58 PM
Jet, aerotow and heli junkie
Yup....lol

As for my Aussie friends ...good on ya !

dw
Last edited by shokaidobb; Oct 19, 2019 at 08:34 PM.
Oct 20, 2019, 06:52 PM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
Since it's the weekend, I had some time to get started on the little fun mods to the jet. The Gray version comes with an all Gray cockpit area, which looks terrible in my opinion. I didn't feel like putting in the work that I did with my A-10 for cockpit mods, so this F-18 just gets some little visual mods to make it look better to me.

I add some black cardstock cut to shape to surround the cockpit to reduce the foam "gator" effect, and glued it in. I added the instrument panel because the Gray also does not come with that decal. The only paint was on the front of the cockpit above the instrument panel because the paper doesn't like to conform perfectly to it. I sanded and aged it to make it look more used and sun aged. Finally I added some little accents to the pilot and ejection seat. All very simple stuff that doesn't take too much time. I was going to add a different pilot figure that I have, but didn't even want to do that, LOL. Without the plastic canopy on, the entire canopy hatch is very delicate and can bend or snap in the middle if you aren't careful when slowing removing the plastic canopy. Pry it up slow .

While I was detailing, I figured I'd make some wingtip sidewinder missiles. I used the Freewing 80mm F-5 missiles. I cut them to size, removed the mounting system it originally was set for on the F-5, added the F-16 90mm jet ordnance rail set, added carbon spars in multiple places (after cutting, they needed lots of reinforcement to become stable), and test fit various parts until I was ready to glue it all together. It came out pretty good, and they are already blue, which the paint scheme I'm doing on the jet actually has many pictures of blue painted missiles on the full size. That worked out well.

After the above, I painted the struts white, which looks much better overall.

Finally, the plane is getting ready for its paint scheme and decal set now. I have more to make, and a lot more to paint (only the Horizontal and Vertical Stabs. have been painted in its base color), but should be done by next weekend.
Oct 20, 2019, 07:45 PM
Happy to crack 50 flts today..Still running the 6s Wemo Evo fan which sounds awesome through those Bifurbs.. I have a 8s Wemo Evo fan beckoning me to upgrade.. Very tempting..Speed thrills..
Oct 21, 2019, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokaidobb
Yup....lol

As for my Aussie friends ...good on ya !

dw
So you've had a couple of snags on the barbie mate?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT
Since it's the weekend, I had some time to get started on the little fun mods to the jet. The Gray version comes with an all Gray cockpit area, which looks terrible in my opinion. I didn't feel like putting in the work that I did with my A-10 for cockpit mods, so this F-18 just gets some little visual mods to make it look better to me.

Yeah that looks much better already.

I was thinking of trying to use the freewing Mirage ejection seat top in this cockpit and see how that sits. If I had more time i would have had a crack at drawing up a hornet bang seat, but lets be honest, I havent finished dealing with the nose gear yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury
Happy to crack 50 flts today..Still running the 6s Wemo Evo fan which sounds awesome through those Bifurbs.. I have a 8s Wemo Evo fan beckoning me to upgrade.. Very tempting..Speed thrills..
I did about 10-12 flts with the Hornet in stock config and oh man I loved it, it was a great flyer. It was really really hard for me to take a knife to this one to start the conversion. Had to keep telling myself it would be even better after i finish

So the engine compartment has been wrapped in aluminium tape, turbine is all hooked up, waiting for me to have the time to pop round to a mates house and make a slightly smaller diameter pipe.

Up front, its hard to make the install look neat but still be somewhat easy to troubleshoot should you have any issues in such a tight space. Just have to machine up a drain fitting for the fuse, and waiting for the ECU packs to arrive to work out where i need them CoG wise. I have bought a couple of different 2s Lipo and 3s Life packs to give me some options.

Fuel tank wise, I looked at doing a custom tank to get around the spar issues SU-4ever, but It would be a shape that could cause the pickup to be left out of the fuel so I will probably not go down that path. Currently, the back of the tank is 20-25mm aft of the CoG, looking at all the other jet models I have at home at the moment its in a very similar position, I will fly it as it is and wait to see how flight testing goes.
I can also fill the tank and check what the CoG shift will be with tank full vs empty to make sure the change is not too great.

Technically she is very close to being ready to fly again. Will do an engine run once I have the new pipe to check for temps, and then its out to the field for some flight testing
Last edited by ticketec; Oct 21, 2019 at 07:10 AM.
Oct 21, 2019, 09:39 AM
Landing is not optional
Got my F18 assembled and shined up over the weekend. She's ready for the maiden, hopefully this weekend. Couple things... my servo plates look to have already been reglued. Also, I ordered the F22 elevator servos for it but when I went to swap them out, they were the exact same part# and it looked like the servo mounting hole had been opened up slightly where the wires go through as well. The TSB sticker was still on the box though.
Oct 21, 2019, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
Got my F18 assembled and shined up over the weekend. She's ready for the maiden, hopefully this weekend. Couple things... my servo plates look to have already been reglued. Also, I ordered the F22 elevator servos for it but when I went to swap them out, they were the exact same part# and it looked like the servo mounting hole had been opened up slightly where the wires go through as well. The TSB sticker was still on the box though.
MotionRC indicated earlier that Freewing would be replacing the hybrid servos with all-metal ones. On your shipping carton there is a sticker that, in addition to the plane model and option (KIT/ARF/PNP), indicates a manufacture date - when was yours?
Oct 21, 2019, 01:21 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
MotionRC indicated earlier that Freewing would be replacing the hybrid servos with all-metal ones. On your shipping carton there is a sticker that, in addition to the plane model and option (KIT/ARF/PNP), indicates a manufacture date - when was yours?
Wasn't aware of the sticker showing that but I'll check when I get home.
Oct 21, 2019, 08:54 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Oh? Will they be sending metal ones to the preorder folks as well??
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Oct 21, 2019, 09:07 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
Ha, don't hold your breath. lol
Oct 21, 2019, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Oh? Will they be sending metal ones to the preorder folks as well??
Just in production going forward.

Quick Reply