Sep 21, 2019, 10:26 PM
Awesome looking pair of Hornets!!!

Well done guys
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 11:18 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125
Here's a few pics of corsair nuts and my F-18 at the Saint George electric fly in!
Not that it will ever happen but I would kill for either of those to be a scheme I could buy. No time to paint it and not a fan of Blue Angels. They just look wonderful.
Sep 22, 2019, 12:23 AM

Rebuild time

So after the ball link broke on an elevator , Iíve decided to order a new fuse, retract and canopy and rebuild. Iím assuming the replacement fuse has the servo leads already installed. Has anyone gone down this route?

Didnít have any problems with the blue box so Iíll leave it as is.

In the previous kit I upgraded the elevator servos, and Iíll be upgrading the linkage in this one.

Oh well, maybe sheíll fly better after the rebuild.

Thanks for any tips from those of you who are on ďversion 2Ē
Sep 22, 2019, 01:27 AM
I finished my "Silver Box" DIY Super Gear Sequencer, AB system, Strobes and Landing Light unit. The first aim for it was the F-18 (but many will be going into various other jets one by one).
The F-18 only needs the Gear Sequencer and AB system portion, but the Landing Light was of use also as it only puts the light on once the Nose Gear is fully extended, and turns it off before it retracts. Rather than the stock format where it turns on while the leg is in the gear bay still.

I have not decided WHAT kind of AB LED setup I will use yet.... I didn't have time to measure the Exhaust area, in case that is too large (stock) and then LED 'rings' at the rear would be the better option to reduce that (some 3D Printed "Tapering Rings with LED strips"....).

The softer Landing Gear - or more so the fully WORKING Main Gear - all worked perfectly as expected! The Landing 'squat' is better and demonstrates them working (the main gear), but for a long time before this Mod it had been "OK" anyway so it was only a notable detriment when Suspension is NEEDED. Which had finally caused damage when it was needed one day, and suspension was not there!!
But in reality it is always needed - it is more a matter of what it can get away with without it.

I need to find some way to video the Landing Gear CLOSE UP through a landing touchdown and runout area. Good/High resolution that could also then be "slow-mo'ed" to see exactly what it is doing.

I ran the Main Gear Doors in "Close After Gear Extension" Mode, to be sure they weren't going to ever be able to hit the ground, or jar off on any bump etc. I only have three battery sets for the F-18 so no real time for other/many various checks/changes. But you don't even know or think about that visual difference. Though I will also test "Doors Stay Open" Mode next time.

The best outcome was that the GEAR STORED reliably every time... so the issue in stock form is the 'airflows' messing something up in the mechanical lever system and then impeding the Retract too much which makes it trip the over-current circuit and then stop short.

I don't think my weeny Door Servos weigh any more than all the door mechanic/plastics that were removed, though some more AUW is fine anyway as I want it to truly NEED Flaps when they are used. (which will need a lot more weight source than just these small Mods added!)
Sep 22, 2019, 02:19 AM

3D Printed Missile Rail

I made up a replacement 3D Printed Missile Rail. (file below)
A straight fit to replace the stock rail - if you break/lose one I guess.

But I have an even better design almost completed. One that uses only magnets to clip it on.
It won't come off in use/flight, but a human can easily remove or fit it.
And it will eject "Wing damage free" if it is ever made to need to release itself.
I won't get time to finish that fully for a few days or so... (no big rush before next weekend's flying)

The only Support needed is along the 'side wings', so it is best to form complete support under those. eg fully underneath, bar 0.2mm away from the Rail itself(!).
Use whatever level of detail, layer (eg 0.2mm, 0.1mm etc), you want. I used just 10% infill.
Sep 22, 2019, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete
Not that it will ever happen but I would kill for either of those to be a scheme I could buy. No time to paint it and not a fan of Blue Angels. They just look wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec
Awesome looking pair of Hornets!!!

Well done guys
Thanks guys! I love flying the F-18 and they sure look awesome flying together! With the Utah landscape they look like the real thing!
Sep 22, 2019, 09:14 AM
killickb
Stupid question but where do these plastic pieces go, if anywhere ?
Sep 22, 2019, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Stupid question but where do these plastic pieces go, if anywhere ?
For those using 80mm instead of the 90
Sep 22, 2019, 10:05 AM
The CF-18 Canada 150 livery came out to stretch her legs yesterday. She is very responsive to throttle on 8s.
Thanks to Nevin for really filming the flight.

CF-18 Canada 150 Flight shot on Camcorder (3 min 17 sec)
Sep 22, 2019, 11:07 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Heres video of my f18 with a a10 80mm...

Freewing FA18C 80mm 6s (4 min 7 sec)
Sep 23, 2019, 12:16 AM
Seemed to fly totally fine.
Take-off SEEMED a bit strained, but you might have been purposely keeping it slower for scale anyway - and even if you didn't, then it forced it to be more scale anyway, LOL.
The 80mm certainly was no issue or lacking.....
Sep 23, 2019, 02:20 AM
The prototype nose landing gear dressing.

Just checking fit and clearances. hopefully will have the drag brace mounted up tonight as well.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:26 AM
It looks good. Saves some painting too!
Are you leaving off the 'monster landing light"?
And/or making another more scale one.....?
Sep 23, 2019, 06:07 AM
Quote:
well,

No luck with finding a quick solution and not looking forward to a 2-3 week wait I fired up the lathe and made up a replacement. Took a good 6 hrs or so to make because the only stock I had big enough to do the job was 2.5" rod and that had to get turned down to about 20mm...

Hopefully the wind dies down a little tomorrow for a maiden..
Nice work
Sep 23, 2019, 07:33 AM
Quote:
The prototype nose landing gear dressing.

Just checking fit and clearances. hopefully will have the drag brace mounted up tonight as well.
Very nice!

Quick Reply