Sep 17, 2019, 07:46 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever
Nice weathering!
Are RC Geek's tips in some video that you could share with us? I'm interested in the technique.
Good job!
Check out his you tube page...he has multiple weathering vodeos
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 07:54 PM
Flying Hazard
Just found it, thanks!

Foam Kit Bashing Ep5 - Panel Lines & Weathering (Washes and Airbrush Shading) (12 min 21 sec)
Sep 17, 2019, 08:21 PM
Yessir.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:27 PM
She looks awesome CN!!! very nicely done.

One question, did I miss where you got your pilot from? the kit one isn't that great..
Sep 17, 2019, 09:30 PM
Thanks! Thats a jet hangar hobbies pilot
Sep 18, 2019, 12:15 AM
Phone's ringing dude...
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
Finally finished my freewing fa18c....suuuuper happy with how it turned out. Ive got about 60 hrs into this thing...did a number of mods and spent close to 20hrs on paint and weathering. Shout out to the rc geek for his weathering tips..and callie for the graphics...and to Justin Link for the hub caps and inspiration! Cant wait to have or two mig killers together for some formation flying!
Very nice! Love the tires! Did you find those or make them yourself?
Sep 18, 2019, 12:51 AM
Thanks! The tires are robart 2.25" and they have 3d printed hub caps
Sep 18, 2019, 08:38 AM
Well, my grey F/A-18 has arrived. Last grey one in stock with the new aussie distributors..

Overall my impressions are that the finish they have achieved on the foam is very nice. Quite happy with the foam stiffness and finish actually. One of my wing connectors was still sitting in the battery tray but we sorted that out pretty quickly, and seeing as I will bypass the BB to be able to do the mixes I will run it's not a show stopper either.

My elevator plates are well attached to the surrounding foam, but I did pack out the bearings as some others have done to get rid of the slop. Going to change out the elevator servos as well with either the Savox SH-0255MG I have on hand or go buy some Hitec D-85MG's. The savox's are too small for the hole and the hitec's too big, go figure! neither a major problem. Changing the servos mainly because I only intend on flying this model in stock power setup to get it all trimmed and sorted out, then I have a pretty hot setup to go into it

Overall I am really impressed with the model, the only two area so far that have disappointed a little is the lack of cockpit detail (and no 3D files from motion to correct) including the pretty average pilot, and the lack of details on the landing gear.

I was quite surprised to see the mechanical actuation of the gear, I understand that it makes the model 15-20g lighter and cheaper, but if it work ok that should be fine. The nose gear is the major area of disappointment. The scissor links face the wrong way to start with, but the door closing uses the scissor link so will have to explore that a little further, the other disappointing piece is the large strut behind the nose gear. Its size and location on the FW model leave much to be desired because that's a major iconic part of the Hornets landing gear to get wrong ...we will see if we can correct this in the future

While I have a little time up my sleeve I can started working on some pimp my ride bits for the hornet. I can't keep up with DirtyDee and his amazing CAD skills but I guess you have to start somewhere! I've drawn up some IFF bird slicer antennas and a base plate for the LREX fence, to try and help cover up that ugly hatch FW have glued into the top surface of the LREX.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3867964

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3867973

Thanks

dave
Sep 18, 2019, 08:50 PM
Classic jets rule
Corsair nuts F-18 flies awesome on 80mm fan
Sep 19, 2019, 04:54 AM
Awesome CN!!!
Sep 19, 2019, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec
Well, my grey F/A-18 has arrived. Last grey one in stock with the new aussie distributors..
dave
Hi Dave,
who are the new aussie distributors? Have you decided on a colour scheme? Guessing it will be Aussie themed

Cheers
Sep 19, 2019, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma888
Hi Dave,
who are the new aussie distributors? Have you decided on a colour scheme? Guessing it will be Aussie themed

Cheers
Chad from Extreme finally lost the rights, and Albury RC models and Hobbies are now the new aussie distributors.

As for scheme..... dunno! still undecided. Really want to do an Aussie one, but there are so many cool schemes from all over the world. Never really been a fan of aggressor schemes, but that Light blue/Dark Blue one is awful nice. I saw a repaint done of it on FB and he did an absolute cracking effort with it which makes it feel like its been done for me. CN's weathered Low Viz also looks awesome which puts an Aussie one back on the table Maybe I just need to buy 3-4 of these so I can do all the scheme's I want

Making good progress on the NLG cover that makes it look a little better..
Sep 19, 2019, 07:08 AM
EDF Junkie

80mm setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
Corsair nuts F-18 flies awesome on 80mm fan
What's his setup? Got any video?
Sep 19, 2019, 07:19 AM
Great thread, thinking of getting this one next if the tomcat doesn't come back in stock. Like all the mods and that it can be flow on a 80mm too.
Last edited by scottydsntknow; Sep 19, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:48 AM
Foam abuser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE
What's his setup? Got any video?
Freewing A-10 fan and motor. There will be video later.

Pat

Quick Reply