Mar 26, 2019, 08:52 AM
Landing is not optional
Awesome looking jet!!! Can't wait to see more!!!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2019, 09:14 AM
Sweet, take my money, needed another 90mm to make my EDF count to 15.............
Mar 26, 2019, 09:23 AM
Canadian down south!
Looks great - I would be in for a grey version if/when available!
Mar 26, 2019, 09:24 AM
RC Flying Rules!
This will be great with my Hobby King Blue Angels C-130 !
Mar 26, 2019, 09:33 AM
Kicking Tires
The Don, you're one of my RC heroes, so "Thank you, thank you, thank you" to you, too.

Capt Soap, James can post a picture later. Also, he is setting up a live YouTube for Friday, during which he'll do a walkaround of the model from his studio and answer questions live, set the model alongside other ~1/11 scaled EDFs from us (L-39, F-4, F-16, etc, whatever he has nearby). He'll be able to show you the battery bay. Suffice to say it's big enough to fit the battery range I stated in the first post. I prefer it on the 6s 5000 or 5100, but I know there are many out there with the 6000s, and those fit/CG, too. I can't post a photo of my battery bay since it's got a secret.

Hifinsword, there is indeed an aux inlet in front of the fan. The F-18C is a tough cookie to crack as far as ducting and undercarriage is concerned, and we had to get creative. The -A/C doesn't have the widened belly of the -E/F, which limits space for the EDF. The real undercarriage twists and pivots in multiple places to make space in a way that we can't mimic at this price point or scale. The position of the EDF, which is largely determined by the very short fuselage height compared to the Hornet's long length, means that the intakes need to curve to reach the fan, which necessitated an inlet of some kind. With our undercarriage positioned where it is for smooth rotation on takeoff, inlets on the side of the fuselage are impossible, leaving only the bottom of the fuselage as a potential location. Moving the inlet forward of the main struts to reduce FOD showed a decrease in efficiency, due to the converging airstreams being too turbulent and not being able to smooth out before they reached the fan. You can see how precarious the balance is... To summarize, we did our best to reduce the inlet without sacrificing output, and also without oversizing the intakes or sacrificing the sleek proportions of the Hornet that are very important to us to capture visually. Perhaps the team can post a video of a flights with a screen on the aux inlet or with it covered.

Robert, that's the plan. More info to follow.
Mar 26, 2019, 09:39 AM
low, left, & fast
Love it! Shut up and take my money!
Mar 26, 2019, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionRC
Blue Angels F/A-18C Hornet
90mm EDF Jet from Freewing & Motion RC
Official Thread

Attachment 11869559
* Completely concealed elevator servos and elevator control hardware for less drag and better looks
* Full coverage plastic undercarriage doors
* Low-vis rudder servo placement
* Low-vis flap servo placement and geometry
* All-new plastic Fowler flap arm hinges to mimic those on the real F-18
* Removable wings with QD wing harness
* LED lighting on nose strut, chines, and dorsal
* Large battery bay for battery, MFCB, and gyro
* Sharp and shallow panel lines in sensible areas without reducing overall scale effect
* Pre-molded wing station to accept Freewing’s MWS plastic slot system (aftermarket pylons, ordnance, 3DP, Runcam, etc)
* Quick Service servo plates on the wings and vertical stabilizers (screws, not glue).
* Plastic lined coaming to resist bubbling under the canopy
* Plastic capped intake lips
* Plastic capped wingtip rails with pre-installed MWS slot
* Plastic nozzles with two-tone metallic paint job
* Blue Angels livery with factory-installed primary markings and un-installed tail number/BuNos
* Pilot's helmet will be painted yellow in final production!

Bonus round: For anyone inclined to install a smaller 80mm EDF, perhaps on 8s for higher speed or 6s 4000 for slower speed and lower operating cost/weight, the 90mm PNP’s box also includes two foam inserts to facilitate installing an 80mm EDF. ...

GO NAVY
Those features sounds great! Thanks Motion/Freewing advancing foam EDF hobby!
Mar 26, 2019, 09:52 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
Those features sounds great! Thanks Motion/Freewing advancing foam EDF hobby!
Yeah, Advancing us into broke dom...!!
Mar 26, 2019, 10:23 AM
Blue Skies
Thanks AlphaMRC for the info on the aux inlet. Sounds like you've done everything you can.
Don
Mar 26, 2019, 10:28 AM
Sweet! The ability to run 80mm or 90mm... Nice!
Mar 26, 2019, 10:36 AM
Landing!
Just noticed there already was a thread posted. I didn't see one and posted a copy of the information listed.
I love the way it is made, I guarantee it will be a hit like the F22.
Mar 26, 2019, 10:44 AM
Suspended Account
Ive been asking for and wanting a nice blue angel foamie for about 10 years lol. Thank you! Looks absolutely Amazing! My favorite jet of all time And i suck at painting
Mar 26, 2019, 10:49 AM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
Bingo! Thank you for this delicious gift of a Legacy Hornet, and in an amazing color scheme. I never purchased the original 90mm F-18 because I just did not like the look of it, so I have waited ever since for a replacement (and preferably a C model). The time has come . The attention to detail proudly represents the notorious BA classy nature. I'll be throwing on a gloss clear coat on this for sure. That is a must-have on a Blue Angel's jet. I also love that the pilots helmet will be painted yellow. That's one less thing to do since that's also a must-have item.  

You all did some serious work on this one, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to flying it. It is one of my favorite aircraft. Freewing and Motion have been tugging on my heart strings with two favorite releases in a row for 90mm jets. Giddy-up!
Last edited by T-CAT; Mar 26, 2019 at 11:03 AM.
Mar 26, 2019, 10:55 AM
.....But will it have the "evil" blue box
Mar 26, 2019, 10:56 AM
Don't mean to be a buzz kill but will it be available in gray. Either way I am on board with this one. So many great EDF jets from Freewing / Motion RC. Keep em coming.

Quick Reply