Jul 21, 2019, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
I flew both my F18s today. What a treat. These models are fantastic and so far I am very happy with them. Here are a few videos from my flights today. Lets Fly!
Good job, but strongly recommend not standing behind the model on takeoff. There are several downsides to doing that, for example having a very poor vantage point for judging speed, as well as leaving you out of position for the landing too unless walking a lot during the flight.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrisonR
I replaced my stock servos with the D-85mg from Hitec. Zero slop, much quieter and more smooth operation. Definitely noticed it tighten up the feel of the plane in the air not having any slop. I also changed out the stock links for 2-56 threaded rod with new ball joints. Pretty much a zero play setup and I'm very happy with it. Almost makes me want to swap the aileron servos with something better but I probably won't unless one goes out.
Did have to shave off some of the plastic mount with a razor blade to get them to fit as they are 1mm or so longer, very easy to do. Also have to reverse these servos with the a D series comparable programer.
Great to hear. I intend running 5085 on everything. Lack of play is an absolute requrement for FFS, and the flaps (and ailerons as well since I will use full span flaps) deserve a lot better torque and precision that the stock ones have).
Jul 21, 2019, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk
That's awesome man. Looks like your well on your way then. Ever since I went 8S on my first EDF. I've felt that it is just the hands down way to go on a 90mm bird. Though, to be fair. That was back with the already very heavy F-16, F-15, etc. I think I still feel the same now. I mean I mostly have 8S packs anyway. So I figure, why bother with 6s? Except the newer models like the F-22 and this F/A-18C are MUCH lighter, have better ducting, and generally seem to have less drag also. So 6S is probably way more viable on these newer jets than the older ones. But my helicopters easily do 100-110 mph. So if my jets aren't blazing compared to that. I'm just not all that satisfied, ya know? It's like when I see a guy flying a 70mm EDF and someone else is lapping them with a little 3D plane.... It's just not right I tell ya...
Thanks man! Unfortunately i got the airplane all finished yesterday and now Iím going out of town for 4 days so thatís typical lol.

I figure why leave any performance on the table so i may as well try 8s. I like to go fast so the drawbacks of going 8s donít really bother me.
Jul 21, 2019, 09:09 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmb
Good job, but strongly recommend not standing behind the model on takeoff. There are several downsides to doing that, for example having a very poor vantage point for judging speed, as well as leaving you out of position for the landing too unless walking a lot during the flight.
Thank you for your recommendation. I normally donít but when I know there is something to watch for on a maiden flight such as a elevator problem I opt to watch it from this vantage point initially until it rotates and then I move away. Also, this is only done when no other aircraft or people are around other than my spotter.

Have you flown yours yet?
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Jul 21, 2019, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Thank you for your recommendation. I normally donít but when I know there is something to watch for on a maiden flight such as a elevator problem I opt to watch it from this vantage point initially until it rotates and then I move away. Also, this is only done when no other aircraft or people are around other than my spotter.

Have you flown yours yet?
Nope, unfortunately us euros are still waiting for the gray version. Got everything else ready to go, so should be a day or two build once I get it.
Jul 21, 2019, 04:06 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
Got a couple more flights in today with the BA. I have moved my CG back to I’m guessing 90mm. My finger goes aft of the plastic corner with the edge of my finger even with the plastic corner. So I’m guessing half the width of my fingers puts her right about 90mm.

Any way enough scientific math equations. Lol I also use tailerons and Ailerons today for the full flight. She was a thing of beauty. My rolls were about as close to axial as I could get. Really nice and tight. Landing with full flaps while using tailerons and Ailerons was also very controllable and graceful.

Some days you wish you stayed home and others send you home grinning ear to ear.

Gravy
Jul 21, 2019, 04:17 PM
Retired US Navy
Awesome report Gravy!
Jul 21, 2019, 05:06 PM
My F/A-18 got the paparazzi treatment

2019 07 21 REC 0001 FW F 18C (4 min 31 sec)
Latest blog entry: Digital LED Voltmeter
Jul 21, 2019, 09:09 PM
Another 7 flts today.. Got it nice & dialled in at 100mm CG .. Rotates on its own & lands beautifully.. Flies pretty much hands off..
Jul 21, 2019, 11:33 PM
Glad to see all the good reports coming in for once instead of crashes. Got 5 more flights on mine this morning, 11 total flights on the grey one and 39 flights on the BA. Now it's time to go back and go over them both and make sure nothing is coming unglued or anything like that.
Jul 21, 2019, 11:42 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYBOSS
Glad to see all the good reports coming in for once instead of crashes. Got 5 more flights on mine this morning, 11 total flights on the grey one and 39 flights on the BA. Now it's time to go back and go over them both and make sure nothing is coming unglued or anything like that.
Are you using the Blue Box on your Hornets?
Jul 22, 2019, 12:09 AM
Got a spare fuselage with one navigation light LED not working. MotionRC offered to send a replacement LED that I would need to open the fuselage to replace, then do touch up.

Chose to eat this, but going forward if a faulty item requires that much effort, I’m sending it back. Gonna have to keep an eye on these purchases, they rely on Freewing QC. Definitely past being a fan boy.
Jul 22, 2019, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69
Are you using the Blue Box on your Hornets?
Two words:

Hell

No

Except for LEDs

Now that the nose doors are wonky and won’t close, prob going to use the sequencer delay with a door servo, too.

But not for anything critical like control surfaces.

Already had two Hornets bite it on the Blue Box rodeo
Jul 22, 2019, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravythe Clown
Got a couple more flights in today with the BA. I have moved my CG back to Iím guessing 90mm. My finger goes aft of the plastic corner with the edge of my finger even with the plastic corner. So Iím guessing half the width of my fingers puts her right about 90mm.

Any way enough scientific math equations. Lol I also use tailerons and Ailerons today for the full flight. She was a thing of beauty. My rolls were about as close to axial as I could get. Really nice and tight. Landing with full flaps while using tailerons and Ailerons was also very controllable and graceful.

Some days you wish you stayed home and others send you home grinning ear to ear.

Gravy
Awesome! Great to hear some good stuff too 👍
Jul 22, 2019, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury
Another 7 flts today.. Got it nice & dialled in at 100mm CG .. Rotates on its own & lands beautifully.. Flies pretty much hands off..
Sweet!

Quick Reply