Oct 17, 2019, 07:22 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec
Aiming for about the 700-800ml.

4.5kg is too much thrust for this model so i will have it turned down to somewhere around the 3.5kg mark. Full thrust fuel burn is 120ml/minute, so im guessing i will see around the 100ml/min, thats a 7min flight time at full noise, also not required so i should have a healthy flight time.

The other thing to consider is that that weight figure doesn't take into account fuel tank, thrust tube and some other odd's and sod's. My rough calc's I hope to be around 100-200g heavier than EDF at takeoff. Jet-A1 SG is 0.8 so that equates to a takeoff fuel weight of 560g, but the time i land, it will be 1/2kg lighter!

Thanks my current challange

I have 4 options:

Without mod's, I can get the back of the tank inline with the CoG,

I could go split tanks with a parallel setup with all the dramas that brings to straddle the CoG,

I've seen a series setup done as well,

or cut into the front "V" of the intakes / fuse and place right over the CoG.

All have plus's and minus of course.. I should start to address this over the weekend into the next.
Please keep updating us with this info. I am seriously eager to see how this turns out!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2019, 07:35 PM
Retired US Navy
Some of us found the bearings loose in the plastic holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud
Does the gear close completely when removed from the fuselage?

Never had an issue with the elevators requiring a shin. I just made sure the parts is competent seated before screwing. Also helps to “tap” the posts with the screws before installing.
Oct 17, 2019, 08:32 PM
https://youtube.com/RC4ever
Quote:
Without mod's, I can get the back of the tank inline with the CoG,

I could go split tanks with a parallel setup with all the dramas that brings to straddle the CoG,

I've seen a series setup done as well,

or cut into the front "V" of the intakes / fuse and place right over the CoG.

All have plus's and minus of course.. I should start to address this over the weekend into the next.
Well, good luck with that, going to be a fun project!
Of course you already know but... the more centered, the better!

Have fun!
Oct 18, 2019, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Does the gear close completely when removed from the fuselage?

Never had an issue with the elevators requiring a shin. I just made sure the parts is competent seated before screwing. Also helps to “tap” the posts with the screws before installing.
The one retract appears to have end point limits set differently from other main gear. Connecting gear direct to a servo tester did not change anything. A new retract is on the way to address this issue.

The elevator system was much improved (tighter) after adding paper shim material between bearings and the plastic bearing retainer cups. MRC mentions this procedure in the form of a service bulletin. It took about a hour to extract the broken screw but overall I’m glad I added the shims.

The elevator to shaft bolt snapped while trying to remove screw one day after it was installed using blue locktite. I believe the issue is with the strength of bolt, not the thread locker used.

I make it a practice to remove all set screws and similar fasteners to ensure thread locker has been applied. Never used a tap in the process but this experience may make me do so in the future.
Oct 18, 2019, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete
Please keep updating us with this info. I am seriously eager to see how this turns out!!!!
If I get it right it will be an awesome thing to fly will keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever
Well, good luck with that, going to be a fun project!
Of course you already know but... the more centered, the better!

Have fun!
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the cut and shut option, to get it right over the CoG.

I'm off to maiden my PST reaction and re-certify my SM hawk. If all goes well i'll be buzzing with excitement and get right onto the Hornet. If the day ends in tears, well......
Oct 18, 2019, 09:44 AM
Jet, aerotow and heli junkie
Please let us know how it goes. I have one on the table now as well. I managed to get a 590 ml juice bottle under the spine with a little cutting of the foam. The center of the bottle is within 15mm of the CG so I was happy with that. sitting a bit forward is a secondary tank that hold an additional 180 cc. Total useable fuel is 720ml ( 24 oz ). A little cleaning up and the hatch fits perfectly back into place.

Dean W.
Oct 18, 2019, 12:05 PM
A fuel bladder is a pretty conformal solution, too.
Oct 18, 2019, 02:19 PM
Jet, aerotow and heli junkie
Hmmm cant use them in Canada and I don't think its AMA O.K. either....
dw
Oct 18, 2019, 03:26 PM
Foam abuser!
Correct. From the AMA Turbine Regulations:

"The fuel tanks shall be of rigid construction with consideration given to burst and puncture
resistance."

Pat
Oct 18, 2019, 03:53 PM
Rigid does not necessarily mean more puncture-resistant. Can be the opposite.
Oct 18, 2019, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Correct. From the AMA Turbine Regulations:

"The fuel tanks shall be of rigid construction with consideration given to burst and puncture
resistance."

Pat
Bottles can be rather rigid depending on the type. This applies to any fuel powered airplane. I won't ever use a bladder type fuel tank, but the bottle is fine, I have seen it used on many large scale applications without issue or breaking the "rules" not laws. Let me know how this goes, and if you get video of it. Got my second X45 sittin in the box barking at me.
Oct 19, 2019, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokaidobb
Please let us know how it goes. I have one on the table now as well. I managed to get a 590 ml juice bottle under the spine with a little cutting of the foam. The center of the bottle is within 15mm of the CG so I was happy with that. sitting a bit forward is a secondary tank that hold an additional 180 cc. Total useable fuel is 720ml ( 24 oz ). A little cleaning up and the hatch fits perfectly back into place.

Dean W.
Ah! just what i wanted to see, inside the spine area before I started chopping in there

Can you set the tank lower down into that area?

Quote:
A fuel bladder is a pretty conformal solution, too.
Yeah a bladder would be a very handy solution to the "odd shapes left for fuel" type problems these conversions bring.

Not really worried about what the AMA rules say

The Germans seem to be pretty keen on them, but trying to find somewhere to buy them from is not so easy. Might stick with a solid tank on this one. I have also heated the plastic tanks and pushed them into more useable shapes on conversions before with some success.

Made my turbine mounting "ear" out of 0.030" aluminium, Have contacted my buddy about making another pipe that is right on 45mm because I need all the clearance I can get.
Oct 19, 2019, 08:47 AM
Ok,

pic's for the previous post and with inspiration from shokaidobb efforts, I have completed the cutting out. access hatch first to then remove the required material.

my grand master plans were foiled to some extend by the spar tube. this only really allows the tank to have 15-20mm of its length behind the CoG. Would have liked more, but happy to call it a day there and see how much the fuel burn affects the CoG in flight. I still have the opportunity to add another tank aft of the spar to help if needed.
Oct 19, 2019, 08:58 AM
https://youtube.com/RC4ever
Or... maybe a custom fuel tank that accommodates for the spar?
Oct 19, 2019, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Not really worried about what the AMA rules say
If flying at an AMA field and the rules people are adamant, the bladder could also be placed inside plastic shell, like a cut-out topical alcohol bottle.

Quick Reply